WineXpert WE WV 1 Gallon Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
WE has World Vineyard 1 gallon kits.

http://labelpeelers.com/world-vineyard-1-gallon-kits/

Price per gallon is high, but if you just want to try it out before making 6 gallons ... I would have tried the Moscato kit. Tweak the f-pack addition trying to find the right sweetness.

Any thoughts on the finished product from a 1 gallon vs. 6 gallon kit?

WE has World Vineyard 1 gallon kits.

http://labelpeelers.com/world-vineyard-1-gallon-kits/

Price per gallon is high, but if you just want to try it out before making 6 gallons ... I would have tried the Moscato kit. Tweak the f-pack addition trying to find the right sweetness.

Any thoughts on the finished product from a 1 gallon vs. 6 gallon kit?

Just as much work, and three times the price, for a lot less wine. Price per bottle is almost $6, not including corks, possible additives, or shipping. Store bought wins by a large margin over 1 gallon kits at this rate.

I am on Label Peelers mailing list so I saw this also. My feeling is that it is really a premium to pay for that small quantity. I don't buy that line in any case because it is a 10 liter kit (in the 6 gallon kit). I see that the 1 gallon is 1.65 liters which is proportionate. As Brian points out, it is still about the same amount of work. I suppose it could appeal to people who do not drink a lot of wine and whose space is limited. The pricing does give one a good idea of just how much is materials in the kit and how much is everything else, e.g. packaging, shipping, handling, etc.

I would bet someone a quarter that this product will not be around too long.

I think your time is the most valuable . Personally I would not waste my time and money I would buy a 6 gallon kit .
I really liked what RJ Spagnols did . They had the 3 gallon size kits called Top Hat . They were the half size En Premier 8 weeks kits for half the money .Top Hat kit were made for older kit makers looking for less volume , easier handling but top quality . Sadly it is discontinued .

My interest in the 1 gallon kits is being able to sample a kit before committing to an entire 6 gallons.

There are local wine places that sell kit wines by the bottle. Unfortunately, they do not age the wine. IMHO, I think they are doing themselves a disservice. The young wines are underwhelming, and wouldn't make me want to make a kit. Although, the place is good to sample the early drinkers, like the IM kits. $10 for one bottle vs $27 for a 1 gallon kit, I'd rather make the 1 gallon kit and get 5 bottles to sample over time.

Paul: thanks for the offer. I am good for now. I racked/bottled all my carboys before the surgery, and I'm good for a few months. I'm toying with the idea of starting a kit and using the extended kit instructions. That would keep the must in the primary for 1 month before I had to do any potential heavy lifting. With the All-In-One, if I plan carefully, I should be able to avoid heavy lifting for a while.

The finished product is probably the same regardless of volume size...provided they're both treated and aged equally. You would still have to do all the same work and put the same amount of time into it. Ultimately, though, I feel like one would be better off investing money into a full volume kit. Considering there is debate over whether 1 gallon kits for brewing beer (which is typically ready much sooner than quality wine) are worth it, I can't imagine that wine would be any better.

I can see a better case being made for 3 gallon kits...particularly if the wines are not typical or special.

The finished product is probably the same regardless of volume size...provided they're both treated and aged equally. You would still have to do all the same work and put the same amount of time into it. Ultimately, though, I feel like one would be better off investing money into a full volume kit. Considering there is debate over whether 1 gallon kits for brewing beer (which is typically ready much sooner than quality wine) are worth it, I can't imagine that wine would be any better.

I can see a better case being made for 3 gallon kits...particularly if the wines are not typical or special.

All wines are special... ;) But I agree, 3 gallon kits make a lot more sense than 1 gallon kits.

Another way to sample...

We go to our local wine store that makes kits for people home fermentation in premises store and sample many kits before purchasing. Just come to San Antonio and I'll take you! You can sample for free!

My interest in the 1 gallon kits is being able to sample a kit before committing to an entire 6 gallons.

There are local wine places that sell kit wines by the bottle. Unfortunately, they do not age the wine. IMHO, I think they are doing themselves a disservice. The young wines are underwhelming, and wouldn't make me want to make a kit. Although, the place is good to sample the early drinkers, like the IM kits. $10 for one bottle vs $27 for a 1 gallon kit, I'd rather make the 1 gallon kit and get 5 bottles to sample over time.

Paul: thanks for the offer. I am good for now. I racked/bottled all my carboys before the surgery, and I'm good for a few months. I'm toying with the idea of starting a kit and using the extended kit instructions. That would keep the must in the primary for 1 month before I had to do any potential heavy lifting. With the All-In-One, if I plan carefully, I should be able to avoid heavy lifting for a while.

These kits are an introductory to wine making kit. instead of spending $200 +- to get into wine making to see if you like it now its less than $75 for five bottles including the equipment. if you decide to move into the six gallon kits you can still use the stuff in the 1 gal equipment kit. It comes with zorks so you don't need a corker.
Remember this is an intro kit for wine making, not something for those set up for making 6 gallons. It is designed to take the step to 6 gallon kits or fresh grapes.

Edit: as for the three gallon kits, the one gallon equipment is already here, one gallon jug, two gallon bucket, mini auto siphon etc. at the least expensive price.
I agree three gallon would be nice but now you have to use a 5 or 6.5 gallon bucket, larger auto siphon, 3 gallon carboy etc. cost then would come close to the 6 gallon equipment kit.

Last edited:
Back