Rubber taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin

Reaction score
I have done some searching around on this site but couldn't find any previous posts. Bottled my second 1 gallon batch of wine and it has a horrible rubber taste. My first gallon batch had the same problem, but not as bad. I have never had this problem with my 6 gallon or larger batches. The bung that fits my 1 gallon carboy is a different size and completely different material than the ones I use on my larger carboys. After tasting the wine, I smelled the bung LOL, and it smells exactly the way my wine tastes.

Did this bung cause my wine to taste rubbery?
If so, how can anyone knowlingly sell a product that would ruin your wine?
Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again or should I toss this bung out?
Anything I can do to save this batch of wine?

Thanks again everyone

I have done some searching around on this site but couldn't find any previous posts. Bottled my second 1 gallon batch of wine and it has a horrible rubber taste. My first gallon batch had the same problem, but not as bad. I have never had this problem with my 6 gallon or larger batches. The bung that fits my 1 gallon carboy is a different size and completely different material than the ones I use on my larger carboys. After tasting the wine, I smelled the bung LOL, and it smells exactly the way my wine tastes.

Did this bung cause my wine to taste rubbery?
If so, how can anyone knowlingly sell a product that would ruin your wine?
Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again or should I toss this bung out?
Anything I can do to save this batch of wine?

Thanks again everyone

Question: could you even describe this smell as "burnt rubber"? Did the wine at any time smell of rotten eggs??

If yes to either of the above, then you most likely have mercaptans. These compounds form when H2S issues go unresolved. It can be fixed, but not very easily.

The best treatment is first ascorbic acid to break up the mercaptans into a compound that can be treated by copper (usually either redueless or copper-sulfate but I have seen others add scrubbed pennies to the wine for a small period of time.

It's add ascorbic acid, then copper a few days later, then filter.

I doubt that the stopper is to blame. If stored upright, there is very little contact with the wine.

Rubber Taste...

Modern U.S Pennies minted after 1982 are made from Zinc and only
have a thin EP coating of Copper.

Bad JUJU.

Ingesting one is enough to send a child to the ER.

Pre 1982 U. S. Minted Pennies are 95% Copper.

^^ I agree with what JohnT said (unless, in an unlikely event, you were making minerally German/Mosel-style Riesling that is bound to smell gasoline/rubber when aged, in which case it would have been normal).

Modern U.S Pennies minted after 1982 are made from Zinc and only
have a thin EP coating of Copper.

Bad JUJU.

Ingesting one is enough to send a child to the ER.

Pre 1982 U. S. Minted Pennies are 95% Copper.

But that is irrelevant. The new pennies are ~100% copper ON THE OUTSIDE, as you implicitly point out, which is what is in contact with the wine.

The wine did not have any rotten egg smell at any stage of making it. I think I will just pour out this batch. It was a complete experiment anyway and I didn't really expect it to turn out anywhere near great.

Oh pooh!! all wines should begin with Grand expectations! :)

I don't really know what would cause your wine to taste like rubber but I doubt it's the bung. maybe tell us more on the type and making of this wine?

It is wine I started for the wine of the month club. Made mostly of peppermint candies I got for free from the fast food restaurant "sonic".

Try some aggressive splash racking if you haven't.

I have a rubber smell with an over chapped (SG 1.100) pinot blanco that fermented over a couple of weeks. I often wondered if the longer ferment was at issue. Also, I added some dried mango which I think is the real culprit. In any case the wine is "drinkable." What I ended up doing is handing out a bottle to three friends and we had a friendly wine cocktail competition. Fortunately for you, it's only a gallon, still a bummer.

BC

PS. my pino-jito (mojito) turned out mighty fine.

Back