Stuck fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleleaf

Reaction score
5 days into primary, the SG went down to 1.002. So I racked the wine into a carboy for secondary fermentation. 10 days later the SG has not changed. The temperature of the wine is 68f. I actually have 2 batches and both seem to be stuck. I don't understand how both got stuck. How should I handle this? Should I add more yeast?

Once the wine got that close to dryness you should have just left it in the primary. At that point the suspended yeast had become pretty much depleted. Racking left the active yeast in the lees. If you by chance saved the slurry you could add some back to the wine and it may resume. You can add yeast, but with so little sugar and so much alcohol present, it may be difficult to restart. 1.002 is such a insignificant amount of sugar I would just continue on from where it is now. especially if you intend to back sweeten. No sense taking chances of introducing some funky flavor trying to get a yeast to take off.

Really no such thing as secondary fermentation unless you are talking anout MLF. There is rapid fermentation and slow fermentation. Check again in a few days. Time is the most important ingrediant in wine making.

In the mean time, you could raise the temp to around 75 degrees and add a shot of yeast nutrient. There may still be life in there!

Depending on the brand the manufacture recommend 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per gallon, however since you are dealing with such a small amount of sugar and surviving yeast 1/2 tap would probably be adequate for the entire batch. but as I said earlier, that close why bother risking it.

Last edited:
Don't add nutrient----the yeast can no longer assimilate the nitrogen, and you can set yourself up for spoilage organisms to use the nutrient.

Latest posts

Back