what is the correct way to degass with a food saver

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sampvt

Senior member from Leeds UK.
Reaction score
I have bought a powerful food saver and I am degassing with it. loads of bubbles coming up but how long do I let the machine run. I have a glass carboy (strong one) but placed in a 30l bucket just in case, lol.

Do these food savers just keep on pumping. Mine doesent seem to have as cut off or any want to stop.

Has anyone any ideas if I should just start and stop it in intervals or let it go as long as its willing.

I run mine for @ 1 min at a time, using vaccum override. Repeat 6 - 8 times until bubbles are limited to very small and reduced number. Repeat this 3 - 4 times over 18 - 24 hour period. Has worked for me.

Also wait 1 - 2 min between each 1 min clearing to cool motor on vaccum pump.

I just run it for 5 mins then it cut out on its own. I guess the bubbles were pretty lively and keeping it from over ridding. One thing though......If I degass with the machine after nearly all the bubbles are gone, it gets quite a head on it so it cant be degassed can it.

Bubbles into the FoodSaver pump would NOT be good!

Sorry I wasn't descriptive enough....when the pump is on, the bubbles I refer to are the ones emanating out of the wine in a constant stream of a rising vale up the sides of the inside of the carboy. Now bubbles or foam gets into the food processor.

I degassed it this way for 2 days every hour and then when no more bubbles seemed to be coming, I whipped it with the degass drill. The bubbles created where thick and creamy and numerous. Im back to the foodsaver now and its pulling more bubbles out. I guess the whipping either threw some air back into the mix or maybe woke it up some. Either way or, I am still getting the fizz with the small bottle test so its not yet degassed.

This foodsaver is a .8bar and amongst the most powerful I could find but I cant seem to dig up any data as to how powerful a pump I might need to do the job.

As I understand, small bubbles are CO2 mainly and large bubbles are O2, as when you whip your must to oxiginate it. So if must all small bubbles are cleared, you should be OK.

Back