Other Adding raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgift

Reaction score
I have read a bit in this forum about adding raisins during fermentation to red wines. I understand that Amarone wine making approaches this. Drying the grapes on matts before crushing. I love this wine but have tasted some that are over the top with raisin flavors. My question is, what is the value in adding raisins, and what has worked for you?

My understanding is it adds body to light flavored wines and raisins are a sources of mouth feel in fruit wines and cause the fruit flavors to linger on the tongue by imparting increased viscosity or so I've been told.

Dominic1920 Pretty much nailed it.
Too often too much raisins are used and that is what you get raisin wine. but they can improve a rather bla wine, I sometimes use them when making a fruit wine, and I do not really have quite enough of the target fruit. 1/4 cop per gallon seems right for my taste.

It's a balance - too many raisins are considered a flaw in wine, but they can add body to a wine, which is beneficial. I use them in wines where I don't have grape skins or other fruit. I have also used dried raspberries, or elberberries. They are one more source of tannins for the wine.
Heather

powder tannin will also add tannin to the wine giving it the body desired without the raisin taste. Can be added prefermentation or post fermentation. visit scottlabs.com and download their fermentation handbook which cover tannin of all types. tannin can be purchased at morewine.com

I agree with Salcoco, I use tannins only. I sort of look at raisins as a dried up, oxidized grape. Sorry don't want to offend anyone but that is how I feel. I just can't understand the need for raisins when there is such a variety of tannins.

I used raisons in a few weak bodied wines,1 lb per 6gal.I used them in primary and tried in the secondary.(not at the same time ;) ) Personally didn't like the taste really on either ways.
I stick with using tannins now but if I feel it needs extra something , I have gone back to my old ways and throw in some dried elderberries.

Latest posts

Back