Brianna grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

Reaction score
We stopped at a fairly new vineyard yesterday. Asked the fellow that owned it if he sold any buckets of juice, he replied "We don't juice the grapes, just sell them whole." We talked on for a while and he said he would sell some small amount of them. Mostly what I saw were Brianna strain. Not really knowing much about grapes, are the Brianna reds or whites. I didn't think to ask til we were already gone. If I get some of them I will probably be looking for help as in how to take care of them. He said to give him a call at the end of July and he could tell me more about when they would be ripe. Looks like I am going to learn how to make grape wine. He also says when these are picked they are destemed. That is a great plus in my book. Only other grape I made I was up til the wee hours of the morning picking the little buggers off their stems. Anything you can tell me about the Brianna grapes would be appreciated. Thanks, Arne.

Arne, Brianna makes a really nice white wine. It has characteristics of a reisling. I believe GreginND is growing them so maybe he can come on and give you some advice.

I have found Brianna makes a terrific dry sparkling wine. I am going to experiment with doing a traditional Méthode Champenoise style on it soon.

Brianna make a nice white wine several different ways. It is an Elmer Swenson variety so it typically ripens around 20 brix. It has very nice aromatics and a taste of pineapple and tropical fruits. It has a nice moderate acidity and is pretty easy to work with. Don't worry if the gentleman picks them as low as 18 brix, just add sugar to bring up to about 20 to 21 brix. Sometimes in order to keep from getting a Labrusca character they are picked before fully ripening.

I am going to keep in contact with him. Guess I'll find out this fall how these taste. Thanks for the responses. Arne.

The man says towards the end of Aug. Also says his crop is not as big as it should be. Said the weather has cooperated but for some reason the big crop isn't there. Should be enough there for my little batch after he takes care of his commercial customers, tho. Told him if he doesn't have enough, let me know and we will try again next year. Arne.

The man says towards the end of Aug. Also says his crop is not as big as it should be. Said the weather has cooperated but for some reason the big crop isn't there. Should be enough there for my little batch after he takes care of his commercial customers, tho. Told him if he doesn't have enough, let me know and we will try again next year. Arne.

Which winery are you getting them from?

Old Cellar Vineyard in Araphoe. Thought I would give it a try this year and if it works out ok was going to call you and see if you wanted to get on the bus with me. Arne.

Sounds good, let me know. We went to some new wineries(for us anyway) out your way a month or so ago. Moonlight Ridge in Grand Island. They grow the grapes but James Arthur makes the wine for them.
Also stopped in Fairfield. Really small little town with a small wine operation.

Ya get that close, stop in. There is a winery here you can have a tasting at and if you taste too much you can spend the night. LOL, Arne.

Ya get that close, stop in. There is a winery here you can have a tasting at and if you taste too much you can spend the night. LOL, Arne.

haha
I thought about that after the fact. We were pretty close to you. Next time I will take you up on it. Oh and I am sure I/we will "taste" too much.

The man with the vineyard called Friday. Time to get the grapes. Wound up picking them myself. 100 lbs. Finished picking Sat. came home, destemed, crushed, and pressed. All that work and only about 6 gal. juice. Been in a fridge the rest of the weekend. Tomorrow morning time to warm them up a bit, check the acid and get them fermenting. Wish I could do pics. Finally have something to ferment this summer. I'll keep things posted. Arne.

Pitched the yeast Monday. brought the s.g. up to 1.085, some nutrient and energizer. This morning have a vigorous ferment going on. It smells good, will see how things go. Arne.

Pitched the yeast Monday. brought the s.g. up to 1.085, some nutrient and energizer. This morning have a vigorous ferment going on. It smells good, will see how things go. Arne.

So did you add some sugar to get the SG up?

What kind of yeast did you go with?

So did you add some sugar to get the SG up?

What kind of yeast did you go with?

Yep. The s.g. was approx. `1.070, Just bumped it up a little. Have to go see what yeast I used. I had 2 packs of one kind, one of another and just used the one I had 2 of. Arne.

After the scientific study which one to choose (see above) I wound up using premier cuvee. (red star) Just got back from the lake, the wine looks good, smells good. Will taste it one of these days. Stay tuned, we will see what happens with it. Arne.

The brianna is clearing nicely. Has a bit of musty odor but tastes fine. About time to rack it again. Havn't done a white before, how long do you folks usually leave them in the carboy before bottling. I know it is not ready yet, thinking maybe late winter or early spring. That should give it 6 months or so in the carboy. Arne.

Six months is pretty good, I normally let mine sit for a year. And have you thought of adding any tannins?

Latest posts

Back