WineXpert Selection Argentime Malbec grape pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Selection Argentine Malbec grape pack

I made this kit shortly after it first came out, and didn't like how long it took to get "good", so I resisted 'till recently. I noticed that when I loaded the bag with the grapeskins, there was a lot of liquid (almost overflowed from the same dish as shown in the photo). Notice how little the actual amount of solids is in the photo. Of course, because there was so much liquid in that pack, I had to reserve just about a bottle when I racked from the primary to a carboy. The color, aroma and SG of the kit is fine, I'm just a little disappointed in the grape pack.

20150323_092816_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Having made the Malbec and the Petit Verdot mentioned above, all I can say is that the size of the grape pack seems to have little bearing on the finished aged product. My last bottle of Malbec was absolutely delicious with slow smoked ribs. The PV, not so much. In fact, I used the PV to top up another PV as this seemed a better use than drinking it.

Some of my best kits contained dehydrated skins that RJS supply. Last years Shiraz Viognier is great and getting better everytime I try one.

Just saying not to judge a kit till you give it time and more time.

cheers

Keep in mind that these grape skins packs (or whatever the manufacturer will call them) are processed products. They are designed to add a certain amount of things (color, sugar, tannin levels, etc.) to the the wine. I'm sure WE will claim their grape skins are just as good if not better than others, though they were late to the game compared to the other manufacturers. In the end, you will have to give the wine the time it needs to develop and mature.

I have also had good experiences with the dehydrated grape skins that come with the En Primeur kits. Much easier than trying to get the thick, gooey grapes out of a bag or scooping them out of a jar.

Latest posts

Back