Yeast (Lalvin EC 1118)?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I followed the directions on the back, i got a water bottle, filled it up about 3 oz poured the yeast in and stirred it for 15 seconds.
I checked back the 19 hours later and the yeast had settled to the bottom, the water was brownish/murky and when i opened it it smelled like alcohol.
I also used clean water not tap water and i washed the bottle with star san.
Is this supposed to happen?
Did i do it the right way?
Did i mess it up?:se

You should not have waited 19 hours before putting it into the must. You let the poor buggers starve!

From:http://www.scottlabsltd.com/uploads/documents/downloads/89/YeastRehydration_LalLaf.pdf

Let suspension stand for 15-30 minutes, then stir gently again. Live yeast populations decline when allowed to stand for more than 30 minutes.

Also, I am not sure what you think is wrong with tap water, but generally, people here think tap is better than distilled or RO water (which have had all minerals removed).

I really think you would be best served by NOT trying to rehydrate. Just sprinkle the full pack of dry yeast on top of your must, and leave it alone. Don't even stir it in. The yeast will figure out what to do.

You should not have waited 19 hours before putting it into the must. You let the poor buggers starve!

From:http://www.scottlabsltd.com/uploads/documents/downloads/89/YeastRehydration_LalLaf.pdf

Also, I am not sure what you think is wrong with tap water, but generally, people here think tap is better than distilled or RO water (which have had all minerals removed).

I really think you would be best served by NOT trying to rehydrate. Just sprinkle the full pack of dry yeast on top of your must, and leave it alone. Don't even stir it in. The yeast will figure out what to do.

I have not added it to the must yet, i'm waiting for the 24 or 48 hours to pass before i add it in. I'm just preparing it right now but i'm not sure if it should be doing this? Brown residue settles to the bottom of the bottle but the water stays dark brownish and it smells like alcohol. :?

I do not know what you mean by "the 24 or 48 hours." Where does this figure come from?

Your yeast will not survive that long without food. So, no, do NOT do what you are doing. With your next package, either follow the directions from Lalvin/Lallemand/Scott Labs that I posted, or just sprinkle on top like I suggested.

I do not know what you mean by "the 24 or 48 hours." Where does this figure come from?

Your yeast will not survive that long without food. So, no, do NOT do what you are doing. With your next package, either follow the directions from Lalvin/Lallemand/Scott Labs that I posted, or just sprinkle on top like I suggested.

So i just discard it? :( Or can i still use it?

Paul is right. If you rehydrate the yeast 20 min is the maximum wait before adding it to the must.

Add some sugar to the bottle, and stir it up, if you get activity it might be ok but I suspect the yeast starved to death.

I agree with DrAlarms -- your yeast are probably dead, but you have nothing to lose (except a little sugar) to see if they are viable.

Of course, a package of EC-1118 is only a buck or two -- little to lose by using a new package, either.

I fully agree with dralarms. Toss that starved yeast, get 2 new packets, and just simply sprinkle the dry yeast on top of your must. Some swear that re-hydration is the best way to handle yeast, but I have found that it is not really necessary.

Some of the yeast may have survived, but: 1) You will have weakend yeast, and 2) You will not likely have the right culture size.

best to spend another $1 and get a fresh packet of yeast.

As you see,,, some's rehydrate, some's don't!! I prefer to get all of my additives in solution (quicker and more thorough integration) to add to my wines. Just a personal habit is slightly "WARMING" a couple of cups of the wine/juice and dissolving the additive. Let cool then pour it in! NO WAIT TIME

Latest posts

Back