at last wood ticks are out

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YOu make that sound like that is a good thing.

Must be because it means spring is here, huh

Been out here awhile. We got a few June bugs and a few crickets going, too.

Dangum yeller flies are coming out in NE Florida next month and I am scheduled to be there.

Last week started seeing "peepers" crossing the road at night. Love listening to them in the back yard (have a real moist area I think they dig into and overwinter among the wet leaves).

I was a fairly enthusiastic outdoors type until a couple years ago, when I suddenly fell so ill that I'd rather have been dead, this lasted for about three days. Turns out I had picked up Lyme disease from a tick bite while out doing what I love. Haven't been the same since, physical strength and energy levels are about half what they used to be. Needless to say, I'm not all that enthusiastic about getting back out in the woods. Stupid ticks... :po

Spray permithrin on your clothes.Used to get lots of ticks while turkey hunting. Since putting permithrin on the outer clothes havn't had a tick get on me. Don't spray on skin, just on your clothes. Arne.

I was a fairly enthusiastic outdoors type until a couple years ago, when I suddenly fell so ill that I'd rather have been dead, this lasted for about three days. Turns out I had picked up Lyme disease from a tick bite while out doing what I love. Haven't been the same since, physical strength and energy levels are about half what they used to be. Needless to say, I'm not all that enthusiastic about getting back out in the woods. Stupid ticks... :po

Where are you located? Like to keep track of where the lyme disease is happening. Haven't heard of any reports in central MO....

no I hate ticks was just trying to be a smart butt ,,, ticks here ,, around were we live are bad in the summer ,, in mn ,, and it helps that there is 1000+ acres of swamp behind us

We've got lots of woods and a stream behind us, along with tons of deer, foxes, etc. With that, comes a crapload of ticks. I'll miss the woods and the wildlife in the new place, but not the ticks.

Last week started seeing "peepers" crossing the road at night. Love listening to them in the back yard (have a real moist area I think they dig into and overwinter among the wet leaves).

Craig, You are too close to the laurel highland. They have for over 3 weeks been singing there song here! :db:db

Dunno what this has to do with winemaking, but...

She was no outdoors woman, but my mother had it. I was visiting, she had the classic bulls-eye and flu-like symptoms. I told her, ma, you got Lyme's! But her doc said no, sent her to a dermatologist, who said no, gave her a cream.

Then I get a phone call. Mom's in the hospital, they think she's had a stroke! Half her face was paralyzed. Now I lived quite a ways away, but I told my dad to tell those damned docs to test her for Lyme's twice (because the first test can come back false negative) or I was jumping in the car and coming up there to give them a piece of my mind!

So he insisted, and they resisted, but they did. Sure enough... she never did get all the function back on the right side of her face.

Dunno what this has to do with winemaking, but...

She was no outdoors woman, but my mother had it. I was visiting, she had the classic bulls-eye and flu-like symptoms. I told her, ma, you got Lyme's! But her doc said no, sent her to a dermatologist, who said no, gave her a cream.

Then I get a phone call. Mom's in the hospital, they think she's had a stroke! Half her face was paralyzed. Now I lived quite a ways away, but I told my dad to tell those damned docs to test her for Lyme's twice (because the first test can come back false negative) or I was jumping in the car and coming up there to give them a piece of my mind!

So he insisted, and they resisted, but they did. Sure enough... she never did get all the function back on the right side of her face.

That's terrible. Thankfully I found the target on my upper back and got on antibiotics by day two of the flu-like death. But I haven't been the same in many ways ever since. The biggest issue being strength and energy levels. I used to be able to grab a full glass 6 gallon carboy by the neck with one hand and easily hoist it up onto a counter, now I struggle to lift them two handed.

Damn, that's only about 60 miles from where I hunt. Looking for permethrin now.

Dunno what this has to do with wine making,

for me ,,it has a lot ,,, in the summer I take the wine that I am making out side any mess get cleaned up with the garden hose .. I have hot water piped out , sink , 4 burners ,, fridg ,, freezer so every thing I have in the house I have out side

Back