4K or not? Too soon?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Looks like we might be purchasing a new TV in the next month or so. I'm drooling over the 4K sets. I know there isn't much content now, but these sets also upscale 1080p to 'near 4K' resolution. Our current TV is a flat screen we've had for 7+ years. For about 4 of those years, I've wished I'd bought more TV. So I want to future proof myself to some degree, knowing it'll be several years (or more) before I'm buying another.

Thoughts? Would you jump to 4K now?

I would go to 4k. Content will be limited now but in a year or so you will kick yourself if you don't go 4k. We were in the same situation several years ago going to 1080. Never regretted our decision.

I wouldn't waste any money on it. If you could get one for a "steal" i.e. same price as a 1080p perhaps. Here are a couple of good articles. The benefits of 4K resolution are limited by the ability of the human eye to perceive detail. The further you are from the screen, the harder it will be to discern the increased resolution on a 4K set. Plus no content outside of the closed loop feed in the chain or big box stores. Curved screens are also a waste of $$$.

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

http://time.com/3654443/should-i-buy-a-4k-tv/

Jim, I always try to avoid the "bleeding edge" when in comes to new technology for two reasons. First, there are always "bugs" that need to be worked out and "improvements" being made to the technology and second, in a year or two you will get the set for half the price you would pay now. Just my way of doing it and I have never been disappointed.

Looks like we might be purchasing a new TV in the next month or so. I'm drooling over the 4K sets. I know there isn't much content now, but these sets also upscale 1080p to 'near 4K' resolution. Our current TV is a flat screen we've had for 7+ years. For about 4 of those years, I've wished I'd bought more TV. So I want to future proof myself to some degree, knowing it'll be several years (or more) before I'm buying another.

Thoughts? Would you jump to 4K now?

We were in the market reecently to upgrade the livingroom tv. We went witht the Samsung Curved 4k. Picture clarity is unbelieveable. You need to check them out next to a regular 1080p. For the low end the price differnece was only about 250 for a 55", we went with the mid range smart tv...

I am no expert, but my thinking is that the human eye can see only so much. Is the extra money really worth it? You can get such a great deal on 1080 these days.

I admit that I have never even seen a 4k picture, so I honestly do no know if it is worth it....

Seeing 4K next to a 1080p, there is a huge difference. I've looked at the curved screens, and actually don't enjoy watching them; so I'm not too worried about that. If this were something I thought I'd be replacing in a couple years, I'd certainly wait. But I'm probably looking at a 7-10 year cycle here, otherwise, I'd probably go the cheaper route. Or maybe I should just suck it up and wait. In 6 months, the TV I want will probably be 30% cheaper. Plus, it's one thing to decide that 4K is the way I should go. It is an entirely different thing to convince Mrs. Boatboy of that. :)

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
I would first find out when 4K TV streaming is even going to be available. I know when we bought our flatscreen 3-4 yrs. ago, we ended up going with a 720p over the 1080p because the cable companies were not even allowed to stream in 1080p, they were all pumping out 720p. So unless you were watching Blue-Ray, it was worthless. There was also no timetable as to when they would be able to stream 1080p. I figured by the time they started streaming the 1080p it would be time for a new TV. Don't get caught up in all the hype. Everything will be high dollar right now too.

Boatboy,

That reminds me of that comedy song "the man". here are the lyrics..

(He's the man, He's the man)
(Crew Laughs)

I don't take no cr*p from anyone else but you,
I wear the pants around here when im finished with your laundry,
Cause I'm a guy you don't wanna fight,
When I say jump you say
, "Yeah Right!"
Im the man of this house until you get home

What I say goes around here right out the window,
And I don't want to hear alot of whining so I'll shut up,
The sooner you learn whos boss around here
The sooner you can give me my orders dear,
Cause I'm head huncho around here but its all in my heeeeaaaadddd!!

And I can have sex any time that you want,
Cause I'm a man who has needs but they're not that important,
And don't expect any flowers from me cause if im not mistaken you perfer jewlery,
I'm the king of my castle when your not around,

And I'll drink and watch sports whenever I want to get in trouble,
And I'll come home when I'm good and ready, to sleep on the couch,
Cause a MAN's gotta do what a MAN's gotta do,
and I'm gonna do
what you tell me to,
Because I'm top dog around here but I've been nutered!!

You da man!

Consumer Reports says to hold off until later in the year. Standards are still being finalized.

3 important UHD TV developments to watch in 2015

These new features can't be added to last year's Ultra HD sets

Published: January 16, 2015 10:00 AM

Did you buy an Ultra HD TV last year? Are you enjoying it? Will you still be able to enjoy it knowing that it probably lacks three features that are being included on many new UHD TVs this year—which, by the way will probably be significantly less expensive than the set you bought even a few months ago?

As we've written before, the consumer electronics industry rewards procrastinators, usually with lower prices but sometimes with new features and capabilities that weren't available just a short time ago.

Based on what we saw at CES 2015, this will again be the case this year. But while we often see TVs that can be upgraded to new features via firmware upgrades, that won't be true of three new, important developments built into 2015 sets.

Here are three reasons you may regret buying that UHD TV last year:

Looking for a new HDTV? Check out our TV buying guide and Ratings.

1. Wider color gamuts

One of the biggest developments in TVs this year will be the ability to display a wider, richer color gamut, beyond what's previously been available on TVs other then OLED TVs. During CES, we saw LG Electronics, Samsung, TCL, and others show TVs that included quantum dots that can display more saturated, vibrant colors.

Other companies, including LG, Panasonic, and Sony (we believe) are using new phosphor-coated LED backlights that can also achieve wider color gamuts, though not quite to the degree of quantum dots.

True, there's very little content that can take advantage of the new color specs, but we believe that will come later this year, with several streaming services, including M-Go and Netflix, as well as new 4K Blu-ray discs, promising to support wider colors. Your older set probably won't be able to take advantage of the wider range of colors.

2. High Dynamic Range

Another TV buzz phrase at CES was high dynamic range, or HDR, which refers to the difference between the very brightest and darkest images that a TV can produce. TVs with HDR can display more dramatic, high-contrast pictures, with brighter whites and deeper blacks that really pop off the screen.

Most of the major brands at CES—LG, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, and Sony—talked about or showed sets with this capability. Many are calling it by some proprietary name—LG uses the Wide Color LED name, Panasonic's is called Dynamic Range Remaster, Samsung uses the SUHD moniker, while Sony's is dubbed X-tended Dynamic Range. Dolby has its own HDR technology, called Dolby Vision, which it's hoping TV manufacturers will adopt.

Right now, though, there's no single standard for HDR, and there are several different HDR proposals.

Not surprisingly, there's also very limited content. Warner Bros. says it will offer a few movies encoded with Dolby Vision later this year for TVs that have a built-in Dolby Vision decoder, and at CES Samsung said it was working with Fox for movies that could take advantage of Samsung's HDR technology. Netflix and M-Go have pledged HDR content later this year, possibly supporting a few different HDR formats.

Also, the 4K Ultra Blu-ray discs and players coming late this year will incorporate HDR, which is part of the new standard.

3. VP9

Almost all TVs now have built-in HEVC decoders. HEVC is a new, more efficient compression scheme used by Amazon, M-Go, Netflix, and others that allows higher-resolution 4K video to be sent to TVs. But Google has decided to use its own compression scheme, called VP9, for 4K YouTube videos.This actually requires a new chipset to be built into the TV, so it can't be added via firmware.

While many 2015 sets will have it, no older sets do, as far as we know. So while earlier UHD TVs can play regular YouTube videos, they won't be able to play the higher-resolution 4K ones. And it appears that Google has plans to make YouTube a more serious streaming service beyond just user-generated videos; if so, having VP9 decoders in a TV could be an important feature.

But one more thing early adopters should know: Since there are still no standards for wide color gamuts or HDR, it's conceivable that you could buy a UHD TV with wider color and HDR—and then see content companies choose a different standard later. That's why at CES the UHD Alliance was announced. The group, comprising some heavyweight consumer electronics companies (LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, and Sony), movie studios (Disney, Twentieth Century Fox, and Warner Bros.,) plus Dolby, Technicolor, Netflix, and DirecTV, was formed to help promote baseline standards, presumably so that consumers can feel comfortable buying devices that will be compatible with the content, regardless of which HDR or wide-color flavor is being used.

While we're really excited about these improvements to TV picture quality, the uncertainty about standards makes us think that it still makes sense to hold off getting a new UHD TV until later in the year, when we think the industry will be closer to settling on color and HDR standards. And as an added bonus: Sets will probably be a bit cheaper then anyway.

—James K. Willcox

I have a curved screen TV. and I like it just fine. Works great and Have lasted well

Now that's Value

\\

1939-Ekco-TS701.jpg

Bergmann, is that a circular screen inside the cabinet? Can you still get tubes for the set? That is truly amazing. And a color set at that, i.e. black and white. Like Henry Ford said, "You (customers) can have any color Model T you want as long as it is black."

In addition to all the technical info above, here is a site with a back of the envelope type of calculator to see if you would see any difference in 4K, by selecting the set size and distance from the set. It even allows you to correct for your vision. You have to scroll down a ways to see it.

Thanks Mike! I'm still on the fence, but have been heavily leaning toward NOT going 4k. That is until I stopped in Best Buy again today. The Sony is a gorgeous TV even when it's turned off. :D And the reviews I've seen say the upscaling is excellent. Samsung has a very highly rated 1080p TV in the size I want at a decent price, but I have a distrust of them. I have a 42" LCD from them now and had the power supply go bad after 18 months - costing me $300 on a $1,000 TV. And what I've read about their support and software updates on even 1 year old models doesn't have me breaking down their door. I think Sony will do a decent job of updating, but I'm still not sold. More thinking to do...

Latest posts

Back