WineXpert Started my LE Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Initial SG rather low at 1.074 and 1.090 after dumping grape pack directly into fermenter.
Instructions mention this range but thought it was a tiny low for this type of wine. I didn't want to bump it higher so left alone and pitched the RC212 that came with kit.

Using Duncan and Acton calculations 1.090 to 0.993 would be 13% ABV. Sounds about right. Plus if anything the 1.090 will be a bit lower than actual since the sugars don't completely dissolve out of the skin pack before fermentation starts dropping the SG.

The grape skins that come with the Winexpert LE kits seem to take some time giving up their sugar content compared to other manufacturers. I remember when the Nebbiolo LE kit came out (2012 year), a lot of people reported low SG values to start with. Ultimately, it should be fine.

How many of you follow WE's instructions to rack at 1.010 or let it go all the way down to 0.99x in the primary fermenter?

Go dry or go home! :D

I usually go to 1.00 or less if there are skins, just to maximize the time on the skins.

I let it sit on the skins until any signs of remotely vigorous fermentation has ceased. Then at least another couple weeks in secondary to go completely dry.

This one is at 1.000 and fermentation still going strong, will leave in that open bucket but not stirring any more.

I rack when its convenient for me, usually on a weekend. That works out pretty much to 7 days (or 14 with grape packs) because I start on a weekend!

Alternatively, you can just cover the bucket and attach an airlock before letting the last bit of fermentation finish. There is nothing inherently better about racking to a secondary container.

Super tucan

JUST PICK UP MINE WILL START IT IN A WEEK,BUT I HAVE A ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PLAN FOR THIS BABY...:mny

The CC directions said to put the grape pack in the mesh bag and put it in the primary fermenter. Does it matter if I put it in the mesh bag or just put it directly in the bucket with the juice? What are the pros and cons?

The CC directions said to put the grape pack in the mesh bag and put it in the primary fermenter. Does it matter if I put it in the mesh bag or just put it directly in the bucket with the juice? What are the pros and cons?

Other than being messier than using the bag when you move it from your primary, no cons that I've read on here.

Latest posts

Back