Cherry preserves

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunk

Reaction score
I have 3 1/2 pints of preserves I made several years ago. We don't eat much bread anymore bothers me. So it sits in basment. I was thinking to make a gal of wine out of instead. My original recipe is only cherries and sugar so no other ingredients to cause problems. I also have a few dried cherries. I found a few recipies out there anyone try this?

I can't say I have tried that exactly, but if you used on excess of pectin it should work fine with no foreseeable problem.. Go for it and let us know how it goes.

Still toying with the idea of using the cherry preserves. Do you think it would be ok to use honey to get sg to where i need it. I never mixed honey and sugar.

I would go for it, besides the jelly I would add a can of Welch's white grape, check the sg first and if you don't have it around 1.080, add some sugar to it and don't forget to add pectic enzyme. I bet this makes a very nice wine.

Well your giving me the confidence. I was thinking about the white grape too. Tannins and acid blend good idea too? Its cold out so this seems like a good indoor project to do.

Started on Saturday boiled the cherry preserves with 2 pts water. Added pectic let sit for three days. I added the white grape juice cooked for 5 min added tannins grape and tea tannins. Acid blend yeast ingredient .Monday started the yeast . I wanted to get the ph to about 3.4. But it only could get it to 3.12. I made a mistake added more acid blend. That made it lower. So i added more water and sugar to get to sg around 1.085 it also brought the ph back to 3.12. I added the yeast and is doing a great job. Next time what can i do to get the ph up. It tasted fine though as a juice.

Hi Spunk, I've made wines from preserves and they were quite drinkable... but I am not sure I understand your reason for boiling the jam. I would have simply used a blender to mix the water and the preserves.

I was kinda going by jacks recipe. That was what it said to do. I was kinda wondering the reason too i couldnt find too many recipies for this so I used his as a example. So do put the blended fruit in a nylon bag or straight into the primary? I was kinda thinking if this turns out I may purposely can preserves of fruit for later use. That would free up freezer space. I found a recipie for cherries that uses honey instead of sugar that maybe good too.

Not sure if this is just happenstance or something more significant but I routinely make an elderflower wine (my wife's and my own favorite wine). I made two batches this winter one with sugar and the other as a metheglin (using honey as the fermentable) and the mead version is not nearly as sharp (acidic?) as the sugar version. I am going to check the TA of the metheglin to see how much acid blend I need to add... I say this because if this is not just a random issue you may find that the honey version needs some additional work to make it taste equivalent to your use of the jam.

Thanks I read some where that the ph can change with the meads. We had some cold days lately so i may not have any cherries to can. I made a mixed berries mead this winter not sure how it will be it has elderberries in it. I didnt have enough elderberries for a whole batch. im bring it upstairs in may for its second racking. Hubby is pressuring me to make more meads he likes them more than wine.

I did the first racking of my cherry preserve wine. Tasted pretty good sweet and tart. Been keeping in basement. Thanks :)

Back