Homemade Magnetic Stirrer Build Project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoobVinter

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need a magnetic stirrer but I don't want to pay for it. I did some homework and here's where I am with the project.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1428531608.642961.jpg
120 mm, 950 rpm, 12V, 0.2 amp $4.99
ImageUploadedByWine Making1428531663.809335.jpg
12V, AC to DC Adapter $5.99
ImageUploadedByWine Making1428531708.716994.jpg
Switch $1.69
ImageUploadedByWine Making1428531754.261754.jpg
Non Glare Plastic Coat $4.98
ImageUploadedByWine Making1428531786.594324.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1428531800.228007.jpg

I made one last month. It works excellent. I have 90$ into everything including burette, clamps, stand, all parts

I made one last month. It works excellent. I have 90$ into everything including burette, clamps, stand, all parts

Awesome! Would it be too much to ask for pictures, and a parts list? I would like to see your design.

I knew I should have asked the experts on here first. I placed an add to buy one, nobody responded so I YouTubed it and got to where I am now. These things retail are ridiculously priced. I couldn't justify the expense, especially when I'm only planning to use a couple times a year.

The Taylor Speedstir seems to be for much smaller quantities.

I wasn't aware of winemakers using stir plates. I only use mine for making yeast starters for beer.

I built mine for about $18, as I recall. Sorry, no pics. I mounted a Thermaltake 'external' computer fan into the bottom of an old Tupperware-style container. I cut a hole into the bottom of the container and hot glued a couple of magnets onto the fan. I pull a nice vortex on the 3/4 gallon jug that I use as the starter vessel. The speed is, at least somewhat, variable in that the difference in speed is strongly dependent on the volume.

The speedstir works great for tritation during TA testing. I also use it for checking my pool water chemistry.

The speedstir works great for tritation during TA testing. I also use it for checking my pool water chemistry.

Yeah, that's what I was going to use it for, acid testing. I looked on line for the whole kit and kabootle and it was like $180 from Midwest Supplies. Man, my wife would straight up flip out if I did that. Lol

The Taylor Speedstir seems to be for much smaller quantities.

I wasn't aware of winemakers using stir plates. I only use mine for making yeast starters for beer.

I built mine for about $18, as I recall. Sorry, no pics. I mounted a Thermaltake 'external' computer fan into the bottom of an old Tupperware-style container. I cut a hole into the bottom of the container and hot glued a couple of magnets onto the fan. I pull a nice vortex on the 3/4 gallon jug that I use as the starter vessel. The speed is, at least somewhat, variable in that the difference in speed is strongly dependent on the volume.

Genius! That's all I can say, so effective and efficient. KISS method. Keeping it simple. I'm telling you all right now I really have to start asking questions before making decisions, I could have followed someone earlier. Man....lessons learned.

Nice! Looks like a Roomba, you know that robot that automatically cleans the floor? Hey, as long as it works right. I'd take it, heck I would buy one from you to save some time. Lol

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right, it does look like that! Yeah, cheap and functional is the name of my game...but somehow I've managed to spend a good amount of money on this hobby. Oh, well! :h

Why is a stirrer useful in wine making. I stated on here that I agitated all my brews every day for the first 3 days of the kits startup and I got slated and advised not to agitate yeasting wine.

Its used in testing TA, Sulfite levels, pH. A mag stirrer will mix the addition of your titrant well.

Back