RJ Spagnols RJS Watermelon Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greydog

Reaction score
I have a RJS Watermelon Merlot "Wild Watermelon" ready to bottle. After stabilizing, degassing and adding the F-pak the wine had a strong artificial watermelon aroma. I waited for it to clear and racked it off the sediment into a clean carboy in hopes the artificial aroma would lessen. It's been over a week now and I tasted the wine this afternoon. It also has a strong artificial watermelon taste. I don't like it! :po

Just wondering if this stuff will improve with time. I'm disappointed in as much as the description made it sound a lot better. Just seems like way too much watermelon flavor.

These 'wine cooler' type kits are not really fruit wines. Most of them probably use artificial flavoring or a combination of artificial/natural flavorings. Unfortunately, I doubt you will see much in the way of improvement. The artificial watermelon flavor/aroma may tone down some, but it will always be there. You could always use it to prepare mix drinks, though, or even dilute it with something else.

That's what I thought. This is my fourth "blush" type kit and the only one that wasn't good. Some folks might like that strong flavor but I really don't care for it at all. I also have some Apple Riesling ready to bottle and it pretty much just tastes like a nice Riesling as the Apple does not overpower the flavor profile.

The mist type kits ARE artificially flavored. They really don't get much better with time, but they can settle down and taste a bit better.

With the island mist kits I try to use 1/2 the f pack and taste. Since you added the f pack try cutting it with a dry white wine maybe? Test as you go or maybe some white grape juice let us know...
Good luck!

I don't think it's worth wasting good wine on trying to improve it. Sort of like putting lipstick on a pig. Think I'll just bottle it and give it to people with damaged taste buds!! :)

It might serve as a really good base for a white wine sangria? Add some white cranberry juice, a little peach schnapps...

Sounds to me like that kind of wine is great for blending. Cabernet and Merlot make a great blend.

Maybe a blend of six gallons of the watermelon merlot and 60 gallons of a dry cabernet.

I have been really considering that type of kit but I don't think it would end up anywhere near what I like. I was really interested in a peach chardonnay but it would probably be too sweet for me.

Last edited:
I just had some of this the other day. I thought my friends that don't like wine- yes, they are still my friends:) would love this. I am planning on making this my summertime pool wine.

It's my summer pool wine, but if you increase the ABV you may want to start the kit in Dec or Jan.

Back