What's your favorite fruit(s) to make a wine with

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohchiz

Junior
Reaction score
im new and just wondering what people feel comes out the best to plan for future recipes

There are many fruits that make excellent wine. All have their Pros and cons. Elderberry is robust but can be overpowering, Strawberry is very pleasant, and easy to ferment , but can become bitter if left on the seeds to long, the trick to fruit wine is to use Lots of fruit, I rarely make any fruit wine with less than 5 pounds per gallon. for my money, Mango is my favorite, followed by elderberry...

Banana is a must have because it is a great blending wine and can improve those EEEH! type wines.

I am not much of a fruit wine maker at all. I have not made much good fruit wine. I tried peach and Ive tried strawberry. For whatever reason, they did not turn out good at all. My problem with fruit wine is that I like a dry wine or semi sweet wine and I have not made any fruit wine like that.

I do like Blackberry and I have recently made 5 gallons using only smuckers jam but I probably won't do that again because it is hard to ferment. I am next going to make some blacberry using concentrated blackberry juice.

I hope to some day soon make a semi sweet apple wine, maybe starting this fall from fresh cider.

My favorite "fruit" wine is made from a vegetable. Hands down it is a dry rhubarb wine.

I like a dry Concord
If u can get fresh apples or pears they make a great semi sweet
Banana is always good
Blackberry is a pain to pick but a great wine

Other then banana I have hand picked all my other wines and have access to peaches this year for free so will b trying that and some persimmon and I have also found some good choke cherry trees so that will b in my near future as well if anyone has any advice on these please help lol

Blueberries. Put them in a bag and when it is time to rack, squeeze the bag very gently. You will have few troubles with sediment that way. Use 4-5 pounds/gallon or more (if you can afford it). In order for blueberry to turn out well, you must add "vinosity." I do that with one can frozen Welch's concord at ferment per 5-6 gallons made. You can also do it by adding liquid wine tannin, or by using the red wine concentrates.

Blueberry blends well with muscadine, scuppernong or other sweet native grape wines.

Last edited:
I've made more fruit wines than kit wines. I used to buy and drink only dry reds, but I have found the semi-sweet fruit wines I make are better! My favorites are rhubarb/ raspberry blend, choke cherry/apple blend and a Dragon's Blood I make with concord grape juice concentrate and blackberries. However I did make a plum that is out of this world. Ended up a little sweeter because of the flavor pak I made, but all agree we wish we had more of it! I've yet to try the peach or apricot variety!

Black raspberries. about 5 lbs per gallon. Can be made dry or sweet. I like both. The sweet is a real winner with friends. Usually needs some acid at the end before bottling. Last year we picked almost 50 lbs.

I love black raspberries. My grandma makes the best jelly ever from them. I've helped pick hers and can't imagine how many vines it takes to get 50 lbs.

I might be able to grab enough for a one gallon batch, but the rest goes towards jelly!

Apple - blueberry - Apricot - Pineapple - Plum - Pumpkin -

I believe I got most of them ?

blueberry-blackberry-elderberry-strawberry-cherry-pear-orange-persimmon-banana-raspberry-cranberry. I have made all of these but if I had to pick the one I liked best it would be persimmon, next would be blackberry.
Mary Lou

My fav fruit wines are strawberry, peach, and sour cherry. And don't forget pear, too.

Hibiscus - blends with anything, adds body and nice rose color
Elderberry
Carambola (starfruit) - took me 4 batches but I finally figured it out
Lemongrass - makes excellent wine

Did not like:
Banana
Apple
Most straight up citrus
Persimmon

also, any suggestions as to which fruits clear the fastest/are quickest to produce?

But, if you bulk age for a year the fruit flavor may come forward more and then you may not want to back sweeten. Sometimes we want a "fast" wine like the Dragon's Blood, which are great, fast and fun. However there may come a time when you may want to find out how the fullness can come through in a wine and the only way to do that is to have patience! That is why those car boys just seem to multiply!

Latest posts

Back