Orange ooze on my muscadines after pruning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garymc

Reaction score
I pruned my muscadine vines about March 11. Now there is this orange goo on some of them. I'm guessing it's where they bled clear stuff and something is growing on or in the sap. Does anybody have any idea what this is?

20150404_174555.jpg

This phenomena occurs occasionally on grapes after pruning. I forget if it is a bacterial, fungal or mycorrhizal organism. It occurs nore heavily some years than others but generally is nothing to worry about. It will dry up and fall or wash away later. I know we covered it on the forum a year or two ago but can't find the thread. They have studied it a bit at Cornell and decided it was not a major concern.

Certain types of grapes are more prone to this "wet bleeding" than others, nothing to worry about, as stated before.

I wasn't concerned about the bleeding. That's pretty normal. What had me concerned was the orange color, which is not normal. I'm also noticing a lot of my vines have black wood this year. But if it's not anything to worry about, that's good to know. Maybe I'll squirt one of them with the hose in a few days.

In fact, the bleeding doesn't occur on dead wood, so it's a good sign to me.

Famous last words, "In fact, the bleeding doesn't occur on dead wood, so it's a good sign to me." The above pictured vine budded out and put on a few small leaves before it died down to within a few inches of the ground. I'm assuming winter injury or a lightening fast crown gall death. It has shoots coming out close to the ground, so I cut it off and will start over.

Latest posts

Back