April 2015 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericurl

The Ferminator
Reaction score
Can you believe it's already April?!

This is the official thread for our unofficial club, open to anyone who is interested in making a one gallon (or larger) test/experimental batch and sharing the recipe, process, ups and downs with the rest of the club.

We like:
a) full recipes with all ingredients and steps as you go along
b) pictures
c) helpful suggestions on recipe ideas, stumped members
d) thinking outside the box
e) pictures! (did I say that already?)

At the end of the month, we would appreciate a recap of the good, the bad and the ugly of the primary fermentation, as well as periodic updates throughout the year as you go along.

At the one year mark, we will all pop open a bottle of the previous year's wine and take pictures, post comments on how it turned out, and hopefully have a tried and true recipe to post in the recipes section.

Some months we have a lot of people participate, and sometimes life catches up with us and we aren't able to ferment as much as we might like. Feel free to drop in, drop by, drop a comment, whatever.
We welcome questions and suggestions from participants and casual observers alike.

If you aren't participating in this months thread, feel free to share your thoughts and ideas for any WOTM wines you have planned for this year.

April Winos:

1. Bernardsmith.....Date Wine

2. Homesteader26.....Pear/Strawberry Wine

3. JDesCotes.....Sparkling Skeeter pee "Jamaican style"

4. Jericurl.....Winter Solstice Mead

Last edited:
Just pitched 71B into a gallon of what will be date wine. Found a source of date syrup and I suspect that the first meads may have been made from dates rather than bee honey so this will be a 21st Century version of what may have been a Sumerian wine.

Gravity is 1.090 and I used about 32 oz of syrup. Don't know how nutrient rich dates are so will add some nutrient shortly after the yeast takes off. Made a note to check whether this wine will benefit from added acidity (after fermentation has ceased) . I see that dates are fairly rich in tannins so I won't be adding any but I am contemplating adding some oak...

Last edited:
Trying my new juicer/steamer on some pears i grew last year and froze waiting for the perfect use! I added 5 lbs pears and 5 lbs strawberries to the steamer with 5 cups sugar. I ended with nearly 2 gallons. Added 1 can frozen white grape concentrate which brought my SG up to 1.090. Added 3 tsp pectic enzyme, 1 1/2 acid blend and 1 tsp tannin. Used champagne yeast . Very quick ferment to 1.020 in 4 days so I transferred to secondary where it sits under airlock.

Appears that I will be racking off gross lees/sediment sometime this week as the activity has now dropped quite a bit.ImageUploadedByWine Making1428883266.556866.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1428883307.262418.jpg

Mmmmm! Pear/Strawberry. That sounds really yummy - because both are fairly light flavours I'm interested to hear how they balance out.

Looks like I'm going to have to be out for April this year. I am having surgery on Thursday, and will be out of commission for awhile. I feel like the primary fermentation will not be properly managed with all that going on. Also, won't be able to lift anything for a couple of months, so anything I do has to be with the assistance of my Hubby :(

I am looking forward to hearing about how things come along this month!!

Rayway,

I'm hoping everything comes out all right and you have a restful recuperation.
Do you have Netflix?
I've got a million things I can recommend for you!
Facebook me if you need anything!

Well, with getting the garden in order and yet another set of baby chicks, I'm having a hard time tending to my wine at all this month. I'm going to try to get all my empties cleaned and sanitized this week so that I can rack everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) this weekend.

I'm kicking around a few ideas I've been wanting to get started.
One is a winter mead using Yaupon Holly honey. I have a gallon of it. The recipe calls for nutmeg, apple cider, and cranberry juice.

The other idea is a straight mead to use for topping off all my other meads after racking.

The last would require some purchases on my end, but I've really been wanting to make a really good, rich, deep blackberry wine.

Been making wine for a year and a half now and am starting to feel a lot more comfortable. I tried beer making for the first time about a month ago to great success.

Now I am going to try to combine the two... I call this recipe:

Sparkling Skeeter pee "Jamaican style"

Ingredients:
1 945ml bottle RealLemon
1.5 tbsp acid blend
"The rest of the" sugar (I'd guess about 12 cups)
200g ground ginger powder.
Champaign yeast
Yeast nutrient
Yeast energizer
1tbsp Irish moss (had some left over from my beer making)

Steps:
1. Boil water, sugar, lemon, acid blend and ground ginger for at least 30 minutes skimming the sticky foam as it comes to the surface and settles. By the end of this step the liquid should be boiling nicely with no foam accumulating. Foam at this point I think is mostly sulphites from the ginger and lemon juice.
2. Add Irish moss and boil for 15 more minutes. Foam WILL return but now I think it is the Irish moss binding to protein particles in the boil.
3. Let sit covered in a cold place (outside in Canada works) for about an hour so that the Irish moss can settle to the bottom of the pot.
4. Pour contents into primary fermenter and top up with water and sugar to your desired alcohol/yeild. (I'm aiming for 8% with about 3 gallons yeild)
5. add yeast, nutrient & energizer.
6. Wait for primary fermentation to slow (a couple of days) and rack to secondary
7. One day later rack again to remove as much lees as possible
8. Wait 2 weeks for lees to settle and fermentation to complete, then siphon into cleaned primary.
9. Add about 1.5-2 cups of sugar (for 3gallon yeild) and stir until dissolved (you can boil the sugar in a couple of cups of the alcohol to ore dissolve if you want)
10. Bottle into cleaned and sanitized pop bottles
11. Wait 2 weeks for carbonation to complete
12. Chill and enjoy.

This recipe is 100% untested as I just thought it up this morning.

I'm currently on step 3 and will post updates if I change anything along the way! Wish me luck!!!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1429036712.891015.jpg

Last edited:
Well I got to about 9% estimated alcohol percent. But had to top up to 6 gallons to bring it down. Apparently m my measuring of "the rest of" was more than I thought! Haha!

Some quick and dirty comments, JDesCotes. Wine ain't beer and I am not sure the value of boiling the lemon juice or adding Irish moss. I would have thought that Irish moss is used in beer to help remove protein (as you say)... but there is no protein to speak of in lemon or ginger, is there?

While using 200 g of ginger may be fine... I would think that that is a lot of ginger - almost 1/2 lb. A little spice tends to go a long way, IMO.

And you are making a wine using lemon juice as the base, but you added acid blend... Is the lemon juice not going to be sufficiently acidic? I think some folk add acid blend the way others add salt when they sit down at the table - that is to say, without in fact tasting the cooked dish and just out of habit they shake the salt cellar... Some wines benefit from acid blend and some may benefit from added alkali to cut the acidity but my feeling is that any wine that may benefit from the addition of acid blend will do so better just before bottling and not before the yeast has been pitched. The thing about SP is that it is quite acidic... enough to put a great deal of stress on the yeast (which is why, I think, that the original recipe suggested using a yeast slurry - almost like a starter that had been acclimatized to stressful conditions)..
But all that said, good luck with this wine.

thanks for taking the time to post your insight BernardSmith! This whole thing is a learning experience so I'm bound to make mistakes and love when people can help me out.

A couple things I've learned so far:

1. I boiled the lemon sugar ginger for two reasons (I'm my head at least). One was to extract flavour from the powdered ginger. Two, I remember watching a YouTube video when I first started making SP and the guy said that boiling the sugar in the lemon destabilizes the sugar molecule making it easier for yeast to eat. Probably complete fooey, but that line stuck with me for some reason.
2. Irish moss did nothing. In beer I am left with a HUGE cake at the bottom of the pot. There was nothing...
3. Jamaican ginger beer is fairly acidic with lime. I thought the flavour of lemon juice wasn't going to be bright enough so I added the acid blend (I find in my other wines that it is a nice bright acidity)
4. 200g of ginger is ALOT. tasting it just before I added yeast left quite a spicey kick, just the way I like it :) that being said I originally added 200g to make 3 gallons and had to dilute it to 6 gallons due to me adding too much sugar to the pot when I was boiling it. So it would have been twice as spicey!

Please don't take any of this as me being defensive. I love open and unfiltered feedback and the chance to learn!

Last edited:
No no no... In my opinion provoking a good discussion - a good to and fro is always good... :b
Not a chemist and I honestly don't know if boiling sugar in any liquid makes it more fermentable. I would assume , though, that fructose and sucrose are perfectly fermentable. Other sugars may be less fermentable, (maltose) and some may be unfermentable (dextrose) but corn and cane sugars are simple sugars

Thanks all! The big day is tomorrow, so I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row before then :) @jericurl I do have Netflix, but the Canadian version is pretty crappy compared to the US version :(

Looking like some interesting ferments going on already this month!!

1.020 and just did my first racking. Snuck a glass on ice and it was wonderful! Not very spicey though considering the amount of dried ginger I added at the beginning....

So... I added 2lb of fresh blended ginger to the carboy! I've never seen yeast react like that, the bubbles were amazing! Another couple weeks and I can start clearing.

Since I had to dilute to 6 gallons in order to lower the SG to where I wanted it, I think I'm going to bottle some mid way through clearing and carbonate it (cloudy carbonated), make some into a clear dry wine and some into a clear sparkling beverage.

Hopefully with 1/2 lb of dried ginger and 2lb of fresh ginger I will get t up to the spice level I want. This is going to go GREAT in my Asian soups and sauces as well as be a really refreshing midsummer night drink over ice with a bit of agave nectar or honey added for sweetness!!! Can't wait!

I started my April batch a couple of days ago.

Laugh along with me.

I decided to make Winter Mead, using this recipe:

6 to 9 lbs honey
6 whole cloves
6 whole allspice (crushed)
3 2-inch cinnamon sticks
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon cranberry juice
water to top off

I added everything except the allspice to my big mouth bubbler.
Then added in my 1 gallon of yaupon holly honey, mixed well, using about a 1/2 gallon of water to rinse out the container. Then pitched my yeast.

Did you guys catch that?
Yes....I added 1 gallon of honey.
After 2 days, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't rocking and rolling yet.

This is what happens when I'm working too much and running on very little sleep.

So after work today, I'll be getting another gallon of apple cider and adding it and more cranberry juice to see if I can get that starting gravity down out of the stratosphere!

Jericurl, I've never really wanted to taste a mead until I read through your recipe... That sounds absolutely delicious!

I would try the recipe now but 1 gallon of honey in Ontario would break my budget for wine making :p maybe I'll adapt it for a smaller batch.... Hmmm... Keep us informed on how it goes!

Had my first taste of the fragrant strawberry/pear. This is going to be a nice wine! Sadly there was a 5 oz glass extra when I racked it today [emoji41] so quality control took over! The color in the full gallon is so pretty but in the glass its a pale pink. ImageUploadedByWine Making1429824374.147604.jpg

The batch made a full gallon, a wine bottle and a small mason jar (plus quality control [emoji6])

Jericurl I made a similar batch (without the cranberry) back a few months ago. It is in bulk storage and I cant wait for the 6 month mark to try it! When I racked it I did try it and it was sharp so I'm letting it age .... patiently [emoji15]. Well maybe not really patiently!! Lol

Latest posts

Back