Root veggies wine advice please.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliMac

Junior
Reaction score
I just stabilized our first batches of parsnip and carrot wines. We used a recipe from John Wright's book "Booze" in the River cottage series. We had intended to make sweet wines so started with a high OG (1.120 if I recall.)
We went away for March break and well - kind of forgot about them...
(school boy error!)
They were still slowly bubbling away but had fermented out to very dry - 0.994. I reckon (by the formula in my little book) that they are around 17-18%ABV. :d The sips I had before adding the sorbate tasted more like a spirit than a wine! Also the fantastic aromas that were there in the primary seem to have gone and much of the flavour seems to be lost.
What would you do in these circumstances?

As I see it my options are:
1. Back sweeten with a syrup/juice/f pac
2. Age it, bottle it and wait and see
3. Sweeten it as in option 1. then fortify it.

Any advice / tips are welcome.

Why did you add sorbate? if the wine is at 0.994. And you have not back sweetened there is no chance of fermentation restarting. and I don't think there is a need to fortify 18% wine.

Since you have already added sorbate, and the intended flavors are burned out. I would add a fruit F-pack for flavor, and back sweeten to taste, let stand for 45 days or so and rack, allow to clear and age then bottle.

Thanks Bergmann,
I added the sorbate as it was still bubbling and so it did not restart if I sweetened it (although it was probably at the tolerance of the yeast.)
As it is I have added a sweet juice concentrate, racked and will leave it for a couple of months before doing anything else. It was already much improved by just this and starting to call it parsnip sherry...

Age would have helped. I have a very dry parsnip that aged fantasticaly! It mellowed out a lot. Abv was 16% ish. Almost time to make another batch!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Back