Top excuses... (Ahem) justifications to my spouse that wine making is a good idea.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top excuses... (Ahem) justifications to my spouse that wine making is a good ...

I'll be honest, my wife hates most of my hobbies. I enjoys shooting sports... Riding motorcycles... Golf.... She's just not a fan of anything I do in my down time.

Last fall, though, I made up my mind that I was going to start making wine and that this was something we might do together. Interesting - she didn't hate the idea. So, at the beginning of the year, I bought an equipment kit and a Cabernet that sounded like something I'd enjoy.

Once the cab was moved over for clearing, I started a Chardonnay (just into day 2 of primary ferm). The more I think about it, the more of a genius idea this is. No, seriously.

I live in the People's Republic of Pennsylvania. When it comes to wine and spirits, The State tells us what we can buy, when and for how much. For a place where America started, it is probably the least "American" place on earth when it comes to booze. So, for me, the allure of telling "the man" I wouldn't march to his drum anymore is obvious.

But, there are some objective reasons that I can point to (and you can use) to convince your spouse this is an awesome hobby:

1. Of all your hobbies, this one is least likely to kill you.

If the wine turns out the way i hope it does:

2. It works out to about $4.50 per bottle (I'm buying fairly high end kits). That's just hysterically low.

3. Fewer sulphites than commercial wines... A lot fewer. Sulphites in these kits are 1/5 to 1/3 the amount comparatively. If your spouse gets migraines that's really important.

4. No more running off to the store when you want wine with dinner (or breakfast, I won't judge).

5. This is actually an inexpensive hobby comparatively. New gun = $600. New clubs = $400 (plus green fees every time you want to play). Motorcycle = $$$$$ (plus the cost of gear, regular maintenance and gasoline). I'm already on my second kit and haven't spent nearly the dollars I have on the other hobbies.

6. There's an art to riding motorcycles and even shooting. But no other hobby will make my friends go "wow, really? You made this." Wine making is art.

These are just the "off the top of my head" reasons. Feel free to add your own.

Enjoy!

Jim

Last edited:
It's Called the commonwealth Of Pennsylvania! :ft Where the common man pays for the wealth of the politicians!

I shoot a lot, reload tens of thousands of rounds of ammo a year. Fish when I please, ride my Big Dog every nice weekend, Make well over 100 gallons of wine annually, take 3 or four hunting trips a year. And never get the slightest hassle about it. No excuses, no trickery, no manipulation. Just lucky I guess. OH, Did I mention I'm single. :sh

All good reasons, Jim. I would suggest another. Although we cannot legally sell the wine we make, wine can be an effective and unofficial "bartering" tool or as my ancestors say, "Una mano lave l'altra." (One hand washes the other.)

All good reasons, Jim. I would suggest another. Although we cannot legally sell the wine we make, wine can be an effective and unofficial "bartering" tool or as my ancestors say, "Una mano lave l'altra." (One hand washes the other.)

This is true. For empty bottles, when someone brings me a dozen clean claret style bottles (with the dit at the bottom) I like to show my gratitude with one full bottle of red in return.

You hit the top excuses for sure :h. It is the one hobby I've had that my wife wants to be a part of and I appreciate that. It is a hobby that attracts others as well. Like my old saying in college "the party will expand to the size of the keg". Kits are just the gateway drug. You will be looking for a destemmer in no time.

It's Called the commonwealth Of Pennsylvania! :ft Where the common man pays for the wealth of the politicians!

I shoot a lot, reload tens of thousands of rounds of ammo a year. Fish when I please, ride my Big Dog every nice weekend, Make well over 100 gallons of wine annually, take 3 or four hunting trips a year. And never get the slightest hassle about it. No excuses, no trickery, no manipulation. Just lucky I guess. OH, Did I mention I'm single. :sh

I see what you did there.

Ahhh, I haven't been a single guy in 22 years... (Sigh).

Another big advantage of being a winemaker is that it makes you use your brain. You need to be using critical thinking skills all the time because I guarantee you that no matter HOW much experience you have, you will ALWAYS be learning. Learning new things is good for your brain--doing the same rote things over and over does NOT lead to more neuron growth. I like hobbies that are constant brain challenges---I don't like "easy" things. I'm just never happy unless I'm making myself MISERABLE!

Another big advantage of being a winemaker is that it makes you use your brain. You need to be using critical thinking skills all the time because I guarantee you that no matter HOW much experience you have, you will ALWAYS be learning. Learning new things is good for your brain--doing the same rote things over and over does NOT lead to more neuron growth. I like hobbies that are constant brain challenges---I don't like "easy" things. I'm just never happy unless I'm making myself MISERABLE!

Turock you took the words right out of my mouth! Wine making is both science and a art and you're learning something new everyday! If I'm not learning I get bored and on to the next thing. No worries she will end up being as addicted as you are!

Lol... My husband told me today how thankful he was for all that I do. I had to laugh because I just bottled two beer batches and a concord wine.....sounds suspicious! He said I am the maker of beer so how could he not be thankful :)

This is true. For empty bottles, when someone brings me a dozen clean claret style bottles (with the dit at the bottom) I like to show my gratitude with one full bottle of red in return.

Hmm, one bottle per dozen, I give two. Send me a list of your bottle suppliers, I've got an offer they can't refuse. :sm

PS. I've got dibs on Adams County for free bottles, stay in your own County.

Me: Hey, I'm going to start making wine.

Him: Can I have some?

Me: I suppose so.

Done.

Yeah, that is pretty much how it went with my wife. It was like "ok, when will it be ready to drink?"
Fortunately I don't have to "convince" her of anything I am doing/creating in life. She gets me.

That's pretty much what I was thinking as I read the list. Glad I don't have to ask anyone else if I can pursue my interests. But those of you who's spouse is up to his/her elbows in it with you, you have the best of both worlds! :)

Latest posts

Back