How to keep fermenters at proper temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostToastee

Junior
Reaction score
I am getting ready to start my first attempt at wine making. I've got a Chilean Merlot. The instructions say the temperature in the primary and secondary fermenters should be 72-75 degrees. I have a split level home and with my heat on 70, the downstairs even with vents open stays roughly 62-63 degrees. If I try to make wine at this low a temperature I'm afraid it won't turn out right. Am I correct? Would a brew belt be sufficient? I've read of using the Copper Tun Heating Pad but it says it may make the bottom too warm. Any suggestions or hacks on how to keep at least the fermenters at the right temp? I do not want to put a space heater in the room as I'm away quite a bit of the day.
:a1

Wrestled with this issue myself.

Heating pad on low, wrap your fermenter to keep the heat in, and check it regularly. Try to keep it around the lower 70's, but keep it constant.

On a plus side, a low temp means a slower fermentation and a fuller flavored wine, from what I'm told. We'll see.

I assume this is a kit correct? If so, you don't really have a need for high temperatures to gain extraction from any grape skins or anything like that. I would be tempted just to do it low and slow. Cooler temps tend to lead to fruitier flavors. Which can be desirable for certain styles.

.......and there's a difference between ambient temp and ferment temp. The action of the yeast also creates some heat. So the best way to know if your ferment is at the correct temp is to use a fermentation thermometer which can be bought from suppliers for about $5.00. You can do something as simple as putting an electric heater in a small room with the vat in order to keep the temp where you want it.

It is a kit. Winexpert World Vineyard Chilean Merlot. So if I at least have my liquid start between 72-75 when I put the yeast in I should be ok? Instructions say do not proceed unless its between that range and it says that is the temperature that it is supposed to be stored at. The process will simply take longer and it will take longer for the gravity to get to the proper level is my understanding. I think I'm going to try and get a brew belt. I may also try to get some Styrofoam pieces and create a box to keep the heat in. I really don't want to screw it up.

heating pads wrapped around the fermentor works. cover with a blanket to keep heat in. or use a small electric blanket covered with a regular blanket. cool temps fermentation are best for whites.

I use a clean aquarium heater in the must or I use an aquarium heater in a tub of water and the carboy in that water. It is important that they are controlled by this external thermostat

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KVCPH2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You can use a brew belt or heating pad and even a heat lamp to maintain heat in conjunction of this device.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a clean aquarium heater in the must

How do you rout the wire into the bucket?

For the OP, I'm fairly new at this also, so take it for what it's worth. Between the brew belt and the ferment making its own heat, you should be right in the correct temperature range. What yeast is in the kit? Some types have a fairly wide range that they're effective in, and from what I've heard from those who know more than me, kits usually use these types to deal with the wide ranges the kits will face in random houses rather than the controlled facilities of a winery.

I'd rather err on the side of slightly cool and support the more fruity flavors rather than slightly hot to avoid off flavors. Between the brew belt and the ferment heat, I think building a styrofoam box will hold in too much heat and put you in a dangerously high range.

Could you provide the type of yeast provided in the kit?

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting Aqueon Pro 50 Submersible Aquarium Heater
8.5" Length; For Aquariums up to 20 gallons; 50 Watts. I bought 2 larger buckets, 1 for the primary fermenter and one for the carboy. I've checked and it will take approximately 12 gallons of water to get both of them roughly 2/3 covered. The temperature gauge says accurate to within 1 degree and will keep at a constant temp. Figure I can use a thermometer into the fermenters to see how the thickness of the bucket/carboy affect internal temperature. Think that will work?

Sure, I've heard of this several times, but how will you route the wires? I've asked this question before but haven't got an answer. If you route them under the lid, you won't get a seal. You might as well not have an airlock then, and just have a towel over it. Maybe not a good idea for the whole week. Do you cut a hole in the lid to run the wire through and seal it with silicone?

Sure, I've heard of this several times, but how will you route the wires? I've asked this question before but haven't got an answer. If you route them under the lid, you won't get a seal. You might as well not have an airlock then, and just have a towel over it. Maybe not a good idea for the whole week. Do you cut a hole in the lid to run the wire through and seal it with silicone?
I am not putting the heater into the primary or secondary fermenters. I am putting them into a larger bucket that will be filled with approximately 12 gallons of water. The fermenters when full will weigh enough to stay completely submerged. I will then attach the heater to the inside of the larger bucket. I will have to determine what temperature the outside water needs to be in order to get the temperature of the liquid within the fermenters to the desired level of 72-75 degrees.

What says the primary won't float (; ? But if you are talking about a water safe aquarium heater it does not sound like a bad plan. The temperature of the insulation water will need to be less than 72 to account for the heat generation from the yeast. I would start at 70 and see where that gets you..
Be carefull, overly hot ferments are not something to strive for.

I use an aquarium heater in the must for every fermentation. I route the wire under the lid. I never seal the lid during primary fermentation nor do I ever use a air lock. I keep the lid covered with a towel. The must stays at a constant 76 degrees.

If I want to keep a carboy warm, I will put it in a tub of water and tape the external thermostat sensor to the side of the carboy. Works great.

The external thermostat for which I posted a link above would help you control the temp.

I received my aquarium heater and have put in just a pot of water to check out. I set it for approximately 70 degrees and found it to be approximately 72. I will try this tomorrow and set it at 70 overnight and see what it reads in the morning. I'm going to sanitize everything in the morning and get it started! I can't wait.

images

Since I'm a aquarium nut I always worked with these type of controllers.
You can just attach your brewbelt or heatingplate to it without having to solder or putting your fermenter in a big bucket of water etc. and they are cheap.

The only concern I have is how to get the sensor through the lid of the bucket.
Siliconkit was mentioned above but this usually smells like vinegar which concerns me.
Any creative ideas?

I put my probe into a small thin stainless steel pipe with the bottom capped off. I then put the pipe in through the neck of the carboy or bucket.

Note that I only do this during primary fermentation to avoid oxidation.

Back