Sanity check: I think I am ready to bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HapaShawn

Magyar
Reaction score
My wine has been cold stabilizing now for 3 months. I just purchased the all in one wine pump and filter. My plan is to degas the three individual containers into one carboy, and then from the carboy to bottles.:ib

Before bottling, I should check the pH again correct?
Do I need to add anything else before bottling?

When should I filter? When bottling?

I hate to post like I am just not paying enough attention to what I am doing. There are many things that's keeping me somewhat confused like reading from a book and getting slightly different messages from reading online and on this forum.

Also, should I give the wine a taste from each carboy before mixing? I'm thinking if one is bad, why spoil the rest.

Thanks for the replys!

Probably need to add K-meta if nothing else. I'd absolutely taste each and a mini mixed in proportion version before mixing them all together assuming they're different types of wine.
Mike

AHA!!! Primo example of the beauty/benefit of bulk aging in carboys!! When/if you change your mind about your brews, you don't have to go popping a bunch of corks to experiment... As for HapaShawn,, let your tastebuds be your guide:b

Remember with the allinonewinepump you must filter first prior to bottling - it must be a 2 step process to get the best results.

My wine has been cold stabilizing now for 3 months. I just purchased the all in one wine pump and filter. My plan is to degas the three individual containers into one carboy, and then from the carboy to bottles.:ib

Before bottling, I should check the pH again correct?
Do I need to add anything else before bottling?

When should I filter? When bottling?

I hate to post like I am just not paying enough attention to what I am doing. There are many things that's keeping me somewhat confused like reading from a book and getting slightly different messages from reading online and on this forum.

Also, should I give the wine a taste from each carboy before mixing? I'm thinking if one is bad, why spoil the rest.

Thanks for the replys!

It's not clear from your post if these are three different kinds of wine, or three containers of the same wine.

It never hurts to check stuff like ph before you blend or bottle, to know if you need to make any adjustments.

Agree on the kmeta.

Heather

I think we need a little more info..

How old is the wine? How long have you been aging it?

Does the wine appear clear?

What is it's specific gravity? If sweet, did you use sorbate?

If you could outline the "timeline" of the wine, we can better advise you.

This is all the same white (unknown type) wine from Hungarian grapes from my backyard and my fathers. I believe we actually have two types of grapes in there.

They were all harvested last season and pressed together. The reason for the separate carboys is due to the total volume of wine. I had to use two 1 gal carboys and then put the rest in a wine bottle. My main concern is for the wine in the bottle.

I haven't touched it yet since its been in cold stabilization. My plan is to take these steps:

1. Filter into a larger carboy.
2. Take any measurements and add whatever is necessary
3. Degas while bottling.

Sound ok? Step 2 is where the unknowns are.

OK,

I would first measure the Specific Gravity to be sure that the wine is fully fermented and that there is no sugar remaining.

I would then measure the Acid. the easiest way to do this is by getting an acid test kit (about $7 in a wine supply shop or on line).

you do not mention racking. Is the wine still sitting on a thick layer of sediment? If so, pour off the clear wine into another container and throw the sediment away. Use that single bottle to top the wine off.

Not to sound snobby, but you do sound like a beginner. I would encourage you to take a look at this link which suggests reading material for beginners.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/book-beginners-3394/

I solute your attempts to make wine from your own Hungarian grapes! I would hate all of this work go to waste do to lack of knowledge. In the mean time, you can PM me if you have any specific questions...

Sok szerencsét

Hey guys. Thanks for your input, but it's simpler than you think. Yes this is my first batch and without having watched others make wine, it's just not clicking. Too much time goes by between each step.

You went too far back assuming I didn't do any of the other steps.

I have done all of these steps but I cannot remember when and what order since it goes as far back as September and November and my exgirlfriend who was supposed to have taken the notes, didn't do it well, so let's assume that I got to cold stabilization correctly. :h

pressed grapes, fermented, adjusted acid, racked and racked, checked specific gravity. I didn't get to cold stabilization without a final specific gravity check.

So again, I am ready to bottle. What steps would you take owning a filter and all in one wine pump, k-meta, acid test kit, and everything else I have that you do.

Well...I bottled the lot. I had an extra bottle that I gave an evening to which I assumed might not have made it through cold stabilization and I was right. It was very vinegary tasting. I did have plenty of alcohol however. Boy did it!

I ended up bottling the other two 1 gal carboys. They tasted better but I don't think they taste at all very good. I have been reading up and my first miss in the attempt to make wine was that I didn't harvest at the right time.

Could anyone share how they test their brix before harvesting? Do I have to buy a refractometer? Also, my fathers vines are in a good area for sun so they ripen much sooner than my vine that gets too much shade (Los Angeles versus Anaheim Hills). Somehow I'd have to harvest at different times and then mix the two. I would have to refrigerate the first harvest, wouldn't I?

Back