WineXpert Yeast for WE SI Aussie Petit Verdot?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am planning to start a WE SI Australian Petit Verdot this weekend. I am trolling the great wisdom of WMT for yeast selections. Because PV is so rarely used as a single varietal, there is not a whole lot of information on pairings from the "usual sources" (i.e., Lallemand or MoreWine).

I have available the following yeasts:
RC212
ICV-D254
RP15
Lallemand Syrah
BM45

Frankly, I am sure any one of these would be just fine. I think I am leaning towards RP15 at the moment. However, does anyone have a reason to suggest one of these yeasts for my PV?

THANKS!

I have used all of those on fresh grapes. I think my favorite is probably D254. The wine smells incredible during fermentation and afterwards. Lots of nice fruit.

I share Mike's thoughts on D-254. And while it isn't specifically recommended for PV, I'd be tempted to try the RP-15. I used that on my CC Showcase Yakima Syrah last year and am very happy so far with the results.

I went with the RP15. Partly because it was the oldest yeast I had, and I wanted to "use it up," partly due to Jim's suggestion, and partly due to the description from Lallemand.

Thanks, all!

Last edited:
Paul:

Just wondering what yeast came wit hthe kit.

Thanks, Steve

Paul:

Just wondering what yeast came wit hthe kit.

Thanks, Steve

Steve, I was surprised to see that it came with 2 sachets of RC212.

Here are my thoughts on RC212, copied from another thread:

I don't have a ton of experience, but I would second (third?) the RC212 recommendation. As you allude to, you can generally get it in your LHBS, whereas you cannot really get any other "big red" strains there. To get anything that is more exotic and big-red specific, it seems like you have to order it.

I have made several kits with RC212. EVERY ONE of them has been delightful even before aging. Makes me wonder if (by mail-ordering, say, ICV D254) I am searching the world for a supermodel and overlooking the beauty that lives next door! ;)

Back