wood experts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrycrush

Reaction score
Any wood experts who can tell me if this is red oak or white oak?
16213531067_9786f68301_o.jpg

It is definitely some sort of a hard wood determined by how close the rings are.
Why do you need to know ?

Red oak will have open pores. White oak pores are occluded. You do need a clean, smooth, end grain cut.

I know squat about wine, but I have worked with hundreds of thousands of square feet of oak, lol.

Wood experts

The left one looks like white oak but I would like to see a a closer look at a resawn piece so I could see the grain pattern.

I am with newbend on this one...
I do not know squat about wine but have made hundreds of projects using exotic hardwoods.The floor of my computer room is made of white oak.

If you want, I can take a picture of it and post it in one of my woodworker forums?

Corinth

Wood experts

The left one looks like white oak but I would like to see a a closer look at a resawn piece so I could see the grain pattern.

I do not know squat about wine but have made hundreds of projects using exotic hardwoods.The floor of my computer room is made of white oak.

I just copied it and posted it in one of my woodworking forums. Unless I posted it in the wrong spot, we should know by tomorrow.

Corinth:gn

I just copied it and posted it in one of my woodworking forums. Unless I posted it in the wrong spot, we should know by tomorrow.

Corinth:gn
If you click on the yellow banner above my picture, it blows up to high resolution. BTW, both pieces are from the same branch.

Deezil, so right! Cut off a piece, wet it and let it sit awhile. Smell it. Smell like pee? Red oak. We have red oak all over here, and you have to be a real expert to tell it from white oak by just looking at it.

I wouldn't use red oak for wine. The white? Sure. Cheap oaking. Cut your slats out of well-cured wood, then burn them with a propane torch. Lightly sand. Tah-dah!

Did you have something like that in mind?

the wooden straw thing really works you can blow bubbles in water with a 3' piece red oak

wood-experts

I ended up with a lot of detail concerning the two.Very interesting stuff when they started to discuss it in detail. Bottom line seemed to be unless one could actually look at it up close, it would be hard to tell. I tried blowing up the image but it got blurry.
Best guess they had was that it was probably red oak,especially when I mentioned it came from the same tree. Below is another link http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Distinguishing_White_Oak_from_Red.html

Corinth

Wood Experts...

Coldblood is correct. If you cut a block of Red Oak 3/4" x 2" with the grain running in the long direction.

Dip it into soapy water, you can blow bubbles with it.

Not so with White oak.

OK, here is the picture of the tree. Can anyone tell if this a red oak or white oak, not something else all together?
17837107760_c5592ca454_o.jpg

The leaf shape is the key. When fresh cut the white has a pleasant dill like smell.
white man round bullet points
red man sharp arrow points
no offense to anyone, learned that in cub scouts in the early 60s

Back