Slanting Wine Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimyson

Reaction score
I currently plate and slant the yeast that I use for beer brewing and stock about 4 slants of 5 strains of that stuff for easy stepped starters. Saves a boat load of money. I just ordered some liquid yeast from White Labs for my Malbec. Anything different with Wine Yeast that I

Should keep in mind or prohibit me from slanting this out too?

Do you think that I can just use the slants that I have for beer that are made with 1.040 wort as a medium? Maybe replace the wort with a juice?

Would I use the same process of doing a stepped starter?

I wouldn't use wort, but you could use must/juice.

This topic comes up once or twice a year; I'm not much of a fan of the liquid packs but I do use some more uncommon yeasts that I've wished I could maintain starters of, I just don't have the necessary set up yet.

I'm just such a fan of WL liquid from the beer side that I wanted to see the results with wine so I got a vial of the WLP750. Would be nice to have it and since I have all the tools to do it, what the hay. I'll need to dig deeper into what the base of my medium is. As long as it lets me send it through my canner for sterilization then I'm good.

A lot of the reading, if I remember right, would use a high quality apple juice/cider as a solution

White Labs Wine Yeast

What does White Labs Wine Yeast smell or taste like?
I am just curious if they are using juice or wort...

Jimyson, how has the wine slanting been going?
Anything of interest that you have noticed from your own work?

Back