What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I am pissing stones through Lil Jim. Ow. šŸ˜„ No, really. Ow.

Yesterday, while lying in surgery, I asked the anesthesiologist if he could give me a little something that would make me see Aztec temples and sense the beginning of time. The operating room burst into laughter.

"Sure," he said. "Ketamine."

A nurse said, "I've worked here all this time, and you've never shared? I want some!" šŸ˜„

He said, "Don't get mad, I'm not sharing with Jim, either. Have a nice nap, Jim." šŸ˜„

Now the left side is yet to go...
Omgosh! Speedy recovery to you. As a kid I witnessed my dad go through this many times, so I know it's so painful!
Funny story though and glad to see you still keeping your good humour šŸ¤£

So I've finally got a 'bigger bucket' and made the 30 bottle wine kit that my brother bought me for my birthday, we have nicknamed it 'The Big Boy' and he has agreed to taking 10 bottles regardless of how it tastes...he's a chef, so I know what that means šŸ˜†
I also bought some first season Rhubarb from the farmers market and its beautifully pink, got that chopped and frozen. I'm kind liking my new 'big boy' bucket so going to make at least 3 gallons...have to wait for the big boy Sauv to finish though!
Being a Welsh gal, I'm watching the documentary 'Welcome To Wrexham' tonight, the story of two Hollywood stars buying Wrexham Football Club whilst sipping on some Dragon's Blood!šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ‡ŗšŸ‡²

Mrs WM81 and I did another round of "clean the garage" this morning. I found an unopened 5 pack of Teflon tape I haven't seen in 15-20 years. This is great, as I have 3 rolls I've purchased since then, which are all almost empty. šŸ¤£

I frugally kept stuff in shoe boxes, which works great, except when I need to find something. I bought a stack of clear containers about the same size, and am transitioning from the shoe boxes.

Dang! I feel like Indiana Jones! This is serious archeology!

Sounds like you made it through ok. The aftermath is not fun, but it gets done. Congrats!

Great story!!!
I have a similar one. I was in the room for my last colonoscopy and after being asked my name and what procedure I was there forā€¦ for what seemed like the tenth time, the older nurse switched it up a little and asked if it was a routine diagnostic procedure or something else (I canā€™t remember). I replied neither, itā€™s recreational. the rest of the room suppressed their laughter while she just stared at me. My response to her was ā€œreally? Not even a smirk? I thought that was pretty goodā€ and the rest of the room lost it! Even nurse Kratchet smiled.

During today's archeological expedition to the depths of my garage, I discovered I have a spare 4' LED bulb, a replacement for a 4' fluorescent bulb.

When I built my cellar 20 years ago, I installed a 4' bar in my wine closet, and it's always worked fitfully -- sometimes it comes on immediately, other times I have to flick the switch a few times. The level of difficulty in getting it to light appears to correspond to how much of a rush I'm in. [There is probably a corollary to Murphy's Law regarding this.]

On my list of things to do is to buy a LED bulb to replace it. It's the original, 20 years old, so I figure I got my money out of it, and a LED will work better. My garage has four 4' double bar units, which always work poorly in the winter. About 15 years ago I purchased a pair of LED bulbs to try them, and it worked great! So I replaced all 8 bulbs, flicked the switch, and there had been a vampire in the garage, he'd have been ash! I love LED bar lights!!!

So I did double duty, replacing the bulb in the wine closet and getting a bottle of FWK Pinot Noir (grilled salmon and crab cakes for dinner!), and I wish I had swapped bulbs years ago!

Last week our clothes dryer pretty much stopped working, 3 hours running and clothes still damp. We've been promising ourselves a stacked set when the time came so it was a perfect excuse. The new set was delivered, installed, quickly tested and the crew was on its way. We ran the self diagnostic tests for giggles, washer said it was level and balanced but the dryer complained it was 80% blocked. You always read about dryer vent fires from not regularly cleaning your vents (I've NEVER cleaned a vent), well it's a real thing. I bought a cleaning kit, think miniature chimney sweep drill attachment, and ran it through from both ends. Cleared the blockage and all works fine now but just look how much lent came out of the vent inside the house and in the garage when I pulled the vent from the attic to clean.
dryervent1.jpgdryervent2.jpg

Last week our clothes dryer pretty much stopped working, 3 hours running and clothes still damp.
Yeah, it was the plugged vent. I figure you'll be checking annually from now on ...

I follow Consumer Reports, and IIRC, they recommend NOT fixing washer & dryers if they are 8 to 10 yo.

Seem kind of light? I thought so too, but a buddy who is Mr. FIXIT (all upper case) said to not fix garage door springs, clothes washers, and clothes dryers.

Garage door springs? Unless you have the correct tools AND know how to use them, serious injuries are likely. If he wasn't going to do it, *I* was not, either, and when ours broke, I hired a professional. He did it quickly and easily, but he had the tools and was experienced.

Washer & dryers? Too many things that can go wrong. Ya keep replacing what is likely the problem (but wasn't it) until you've spent more than a new unit will cost. I do minor fixes until something doesn't work, then replace. We've had good luck, 13+ years on all units.

...AND, in retrospect, I'll bet the old dryer was fine, just blocked from working... oh well the new ones are all shiny and sparkly....

So when we got a new LG W/D about 6 years ago the dryer has a flow sensor and it kept showing a vent error after each use. Googled how to clean a plugged vent and found a quick and easy solution that most people have on hand already if they do yard work and thats a leaf blower. Just pulled the dryer out from the wall and stuck the business end of the leaf blower in the wall vent and let er rip. I had about a pillowcase worth of lint on the roof in about 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Sounds like you made it through ok. The aftermath is not fun, but it gets done. Congrats!
Second time around. Last round was ~ 4 years ago. The first time, lithotripsy did not work and I had to go through the scope and stents procedure. THAT is not fun. This is a cakewalk compared to that. This time, I am shedding but I dunno if I am shedding enough. We'll see.

They have to do the left side next, if this side works out.

I determined that these are medically induced stones, so after two experiences, I have taken steps never to get them again. One of those steps is to take magnesium and B6 every day. I also take IP-6 every other day. The NIH has large studies going back to 1982 that show that 400 mg-plus of magnesium a day reduces stone recurrence by 85-90%. It started at 85% in '82 and every study since then has shown greater efficacy.

Did my docs tell me about this? Nope. But I once farmed a 60-head herd of goats, and when they got urinary calculi, it was due to a shortage of copper. Add copper, no worries. So, I started thinking with this last batch of stones, "I wonder if there's a similar preventative mineral in humans?" Googled, and sho nuff!

B6 and IP-6 are both anti-calcemic in action.

I have a similar one. I was in the room for my last colonoscopy and after being asked my name and what procedure I was there forā€¦ for what seemed like the tenth time, the older nurse switched it up a little and asked if it was a routine diagnostic procedure or something else (I canā€™t remember). I replied neither, itā€™s recreational. the rest of the room suppressed their laughter while she just stared at me. My response to her was ā€œreally? Not even a smirk? I thought that was pretty goodā€ and the rest of the room lost it! Even nurse Kratchet smiled.

I was on the table for my colonoscopy last time and I asked the doc, "Hey, when it's time for yours, do you do your own, you know, like a DIY thing, to save money?"

That unexpected question made the entire place fall out laughing. The doc was bent over, he laughed so hard. Then when he straightened back up, he said, "So we've got a wise guy here!" And then out went the lights. šŸ˜„

Second time around. Last round was ~ 4 years ago. The first time, lithotripsy did not work and I had to go through the scope and stents procedure. THAT is not fun. This is a cakewalk compared to that. This time, I am shedding but I dunno if I am shedding enough. We'll see.
I've had 2 procedures as well, neither successful. Kidney stones can have different compositions, and mine are the hardest known to man (like my head!). First time left a piece too big to fit down the tube, yet it stubbornly tried. I had a scope and stent -- not anything I recommend for its recreational value.

Second time was the other kidney, the procedure knocked the edges off, which passed without problem. I have a large chunk left (way too big to pass) that dropped lower in the kidney. If I'm lucky it will stay there.

Both lemon juice and apple cider vinegar are supposed to erode stones, and since I like both flavors, I tend to eat a lot of both. If it works, it's not a quick process -- it takes years. But I'm not in pain so I've got the time.

I'll consider magnesium -- that may prevent what I have from getting bigger. I'll pass this along to my SIL, who is a stone factory -- she passes stones every 6 months or so.

I
Yeah, it was the plugged vent. I figure you'll be checking annually from now on ...

I follow Consumer Reports, and IIRC, they recommend NOT fixing washer & dryers if they are 8 to 10 yo.

Seem kind of light? I thought so too, but a buddy who is Mr. FIXIT (all upper case) said to not fix garage door springs, clothes washers, and clothes dryers.

Garage door springs? Unless you have the correct tools AND know how to use them, serious injuries are likely. If he wasn't going to do it, *I* was not, either, and when ours broke, I hired a professional. He did it quickly and easily, but he had the tools and was experienced.

Washer & dryers? Too many things that can go wrong. Ya keep replacing what is likely the problem (but wasn't it) until you've spent more than a new unit will cost. I do minor fixes until something doesn't work, then replace. We've had good luck, 13+ years on all units.
I went through this about 18 months ago. Ended up replacing the heat element in the dryer. $68 on Amazon IIRC. Took two days, a lot of cussing, reordering parts and more dismantling than was necessary. Also bought a vent cleaning kit but mine has a vacuum attachment so no lint all over the place. But, yes the volume of lint was impressive. Flash forward to two months ago and the dryer went out again. Heat element again. This time it took me an hour to replace but Iā€™m wondering what the root cause is because the vent wasnā€™t too dirty yet. Our unit is about 7 years old so I donā€™t know how many more times Iā€™ll fix it. $68 compares to the cost of new seems like a no-brainer but weā€™ll see.

Our unit is about 7 years old so I donā€™t know how many more times Iā€™ll fix it. $68 compares to the cost of new seems like a no-brainer but weā€™ll see.
We did this with a dishwasher. I make a few minor repairs and had it repaired professionally twice. When it failed again, I added up the cost and realized we had spent 2/3 of the cost of a new one in 2 years so we replaced it.

I've had 2 procedures as well, neither successful. Kidney stones can have different compositions, and mine are the hardest known to man (like my head!). First time left a piece too big to fit down the tube, yet it stubbornly tried. I had a scope and stent -- not anything I recommend for its recreational value.

Second time was the other kidney, the procedure knocked the edges off, which passed without problem. I have a large chunk left (way too big to pass) that dropped lower in the kidney. If I'm lucky it will stay there.

Both lemon juice and apple cider vinegar are supposed to erode stones, and since I like both flavors, I tend to eat a lot of both. If it works, it's not a quick process -- it takes years. But I'm not in pain so I've got the time.

I'll consider magnesium -- that may prevent what I have from getting bigger. I'll pass this along to my SIL, who is a stone factory -- she passes stones every 6 months or so.

Yup, had them in both kidneys the first time and I even passed a 1.1 and a 1.6 mm stone. But then the next one blocked my urethra, so no pee. My Dad had died, and I traveled to his funeral with a catheter and bag before coming back for the laser and stent surgery. Removing the stents with no anesthetic in the doc's office was the worst part of an awful experience.

Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, both of which I take daily, did nothing to prevent a recurrence in both kidneys for me after about 4 years. I am ceasing ACV when my supply runs out. I also tried the "stone breaker" herb chanca piedra, with no apparent effect.

Lithotripsy appears to be working for the 1.6 mm stone in the right kidney (a KUB x-ray will tell for sure in mid-May), and the 1 mm stone in the left one will be up for it later on.

IMO, the stones were medically induced by the combination of blood pressure meds I was on. I say "was on" because once I researched that, I quit the worst offender at a cost of a 5-point rise in pressure. Worth it. I am going to try to reduce dosages of the other main offender after my procedures are over.

You may have Googled it already but here are some studies on the magnesium ...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9366314/
https://icurology.org/DOIx.php?id=10.4111/kju.2014.55.6.411
And etc., all the way back to 1982! ...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6764473/
The studies are showing efficacy for Mg at 300 mg and 400 mg daily doses. There can be a diarrhea side effect of too much Mg., so ya gotta kind of work up to it and find your ideal dose. I am taking 1,000 mg with no adverse effects now. It also can help with muscle pain, if you have that.

So, it's been in the research since 1982, yet did ANY of my docs say a peep about magnesium and B6 to me? Nope. "Drink lemon juice" was all I got. SMH...

My neighbor is in his mid 70's. He swears by madder root. It can be hard to locate, but I found some at a local health store. He says its days to get rid of them. Every few years he has a flair up. Takes madder root for a couple day, good for a few more years. YMMV! It would be an interesting trial were a guy to already have an appointment booked for the other side and one could measure the efficacy.... Just sayin..

This afternoon I got ground leveled for a shed with a built in chicken coop. Chicks arrive this next week, so I have about 5ish weeks to have the coop and run built. I also leveled out the damage the builder's vehicles inflicted on the backyard, well, at least mitigated it. Previously, I stood a good chance of throwing out my back driving over it with the tractor.

Latest posts

Back