First time using frozen must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomK-B

Reaction score
I just ordered two 5-gallon pails of frozen Washington State (Two Mountain Vineyards) Cabernet Sauvignon must from M&M. It should be delivered around mid-week. The numbers on the must are:

Brix 25
pH 3.26
TA 6.9

I don't believe I need to make any adjustments to these numbers. Any thoughts on that? My plan is to ferment using BM45 because I already have it and have really liked the results I've gotten from it on the past few kits I've made with it. I'll be using the additions for red wines that I got from MoreWine. I also plan to do MLF. This will be my first time to do that. Any suggestions as to the MLB?

Looks like you are all set. I wouldn't change a thing. Acid might be a little high, but MLF should help a little. As far as MLB goes, I really like VP41. Unfortunately, the smallest size I can find is enough for 60+ gallons, so it is a bit pricey (a little over $30). Bacchus was another I've used successfully, but it apparently is no longer offered.

My buckets arrived today in excellent condition. I'm excited to get underway. :h

Oh, by the way, for my MLB I've decided to use the White Labs WLP675. That's what MoreWine is carrying for the six gallon size I'm making.

Tom,

If I am not mistaken those are all Beer (Ale) yeast and you for sure do not want to use them as they would wreck your wines flavor profile. The smallest wine MLB is usually enough to do 66 gallons. I would stick to what others have suggested. I will also mention that I have had pretty good luck with CH16 and its only $21. I have also opened a pack and used half then right back into a zip lock freezer bag and used the other half the next year. YMMV as they say. Good luck with the ferment. Those should be some good grapes for sure. Hopefully the pH will go up a little once you get them through everything.

Tom,

If I am not mistaken those are all Beer (Ale) yeast and you for sure do not want to use them as they would wreck your wines flavor profile.

Mike, do you mean MLB here rather than yeast? I'm a little confused. I'm planning to use BM45 yeast.

WLP675 is the white labs MLB, which I do not recommend.
I'd try what the guys said.
The Wyeast MLB is very good, liquid and smaller packs good for 6 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I'm not geek, but I would be wary of the extremly low SO2 tolerance. If I had it available I would choose a different strain with a higher tolerance.

M&M also carries it. http://http://www.juicegrape.com/Malolactic-Bacteria-Culture-Carboy-Size-5-6gal-WLP675/

Geek, why would you not recommend this product?

Tom,
I use it once in a Merlot juice bucket batch and never completed MLF, albeit some fault on my part for not checking the PH/TA numbers back then because I think the PH was low in the 3.1 range and the reason (possibly) why it did struggle completing MLF, maybe?

I have tried the Wyeast MLB and was satisfied with the results, good for smaller batches if you don't want to get the VP41.

Couple links for it, it will be your personal preference:

http://morebeer.com/products/wyeast-4007-liquid-malolactic-bacteria-125ml.html

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/malo-lactic-blend-wyeast-4007.html

I used the white labs product also. Mlf did not complete. I think you are better off spending a little more for vp41 for the 66 gallons. I know it's more than you need but at least you should complete mlf.

This is why I pay the big bucks to be a part of this forum! :D

I bit the bullet and ordered the VP41. Experience trumps marketing in my book every time.

In the mean time, my must has completely thawed. Yesterday morning I added 3.3 g of k-meta. I added the Opti Red and Lallyzme EX last night. This morning I added the FT Rouge. I checked the temp and it stood at 55*F, so I pitched the yeast. Again, I'm using BM45. My experience with this yeast is that it is a very slow starter. When I see the thick foam with baseball sized bubbles on the surface of the must I'll add the Fermaid K.:b

Latest posts

Back