Carboy Covers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H2O

Reaction score
This may be a little bit of an overkill but I thought I'd share the covers made for my carboys to keep out light:

covers.jpg

Hey, that looks even better than my brown paper shopping bags with a hole cutout for the carboy neck...

Very nice! :br

Nice work. I tend to use old sweatshirts if I am making something that I think would be spoiled by light. But apart from red grape wine what fruit wines really need to be stored in the dark? I know that hopped beer must be kept away from UV light, but will tropical fruit or berry wines or apple wine or meads benefit from being kept covered from the light?

Carboy covers.

Nice work. I tend to use old sweatshirts if I am making something that I think would be spoiled by light. But apart from red grape wine what fruit wines really need to be stored in the dark? I know that hopped beer must be kept away from UV light, but will tropical fruit or berry wines or apple wine or meads benefit from being kept covered from the light?

I'm big on fruit wine making and have read a lot about keeping elderberry & blackberry wine in the dark. Fortunately, where I ferment my fruit wine is under the stairs in the basement and hence very little light. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test those write ups. Just about everything benefits from exclusion from UV.

Mike

You should strike up a deal with WMT to put their logo on the side and sell them, 3 and 5 gal sizes:) WVMJ

Me thinks you have too much idle time.

I've got 3 small children and way too many hobbies, I rarely ever have idle time. My mother on the other hand, is a retired seamstress and came up with the idea.

Latest posts

Back