Beef Jerky gun and food dehydrator

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for the best beef jerky gun to get for strips and sticks. I have never done this before. When making jerky sticks do you have to use casings. Where is a good place to get the seasonings? Any good recipes?

I looked into food dehydrators and ordered this one. What do you think? Did I make a good choice? Do you prefer to use the oven?

I have a Field and Stream store and Gander Mountain in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
No casing on jerky strips, best gun is Cabelas and best seasonings is from Con Yeager.

Dang Dan, I've been researching the same thing! Actually it was Franks home made Sopressata at Luva Bella's that got me thinking about it. Just what we need, another obsession!

Phil, I picked this dehydrator because reading the reviews on others the biggest complaint was no timer. This one has a timer and the price was attractive compared to others and good reviews. I am trying to decide on a jerky gun now but none of them mentioned using casings and that is why I was asking.

I Love the summer sausage but now you're talking about a smoker. I know you're a lot like me and can control how far you take a hobby.:)

I am looking for suggestions for the best beef jerky gun to get for strips and sticks. I have never done this before. When making jerky sticks do you have to use casings. Where is a good place to get the seasonings? Any good recipes?

I looked into food dehydrators and ordered this one. What do you think? Did I make a good choice? Do you prefer to use the oven?

I have a Field and Stream store and Gander Mountain in the area.

I have one similar to this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nesco-Ju..._3zeZ5YE_hEpbgl5wuAaRBoCQUPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It came with my American Harvest dehydrator and, of course, uses ground meat and seasoning. I have never used casings for any of my jerky but it is sure good. In fact, I need to break it out again and make a bunch. I love that stuff. Mine is about 10+ years old and never had a problem with it. You certainly can't beat the price. With the cost of jerky, it doesn't take many pounds to make it a good investment.

I have gone thru alot of different dehydrators before I found this one -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNVUJQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I did purchase mine at Walmart - for a bit less than noted. I make alot of beef jerkey throughout the year from just thin sliced bottom round roasts when they are on sale. Keep it semi -frozen and I have a meat slicer -or you can ask the butcher to slice it thin. With 4 full trays it normally takes approx 3-4 hours - no need to move trays around because of hot spots.

I have used this dehydrator for over 5 years + made jerky,fruit slices. and made all of our food for Boy Scouts high adventure with it.

the biggest complaint was no timer.

That is easily solved with a light timer. Like you use for christmas lights.

The trays look "thin" to me.

A few years ago, I bought my son one that looks like a large toaster oven with 8 trays. I forgot the brand name. New, it is much more than the Nesco. Used, it was very competitive. Big rear fan that blows the heated air over all the trays.

Heat and airflow are an issue. The problem with a regular oven is no forced convection.

Phil, I picked this dehydrator because reading the reviews on others the biggest complaint was no timer. This one has a timer and the price was attractive compared to others and good reviews. I am trying to decide on a jerky gun now but none of them mentioned using casings and that is why I was asking.

I Love the summer sausage but now you're talking about a smoker. I know you're a lot like me and can control how far you take a hobby.:)

Dan, I'm also looking at smokers. I think I've settled on the Rec Tec pellet smoker. A buddy of mine bought one and it makes a killer brisket!
I'm going to check out that dehydrator!

Sorry Dan, I'm use to Mike making beef sticks. The jerky sticks do not need casing either.

I have gone thru alot of different dehydrators before I found this one -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNVUJQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I did purchase mine at Walmart - for a bit less than noted. I make alot of beef jerkey throughout the year from just thin sliced bottom round roasts when they are on sale. Keep it semi -frozen and I have a meat slicer -or you can ask the butcher to slice it thin. With 4 full trays it normally takes approx 3-4 hours - no need to move trays around because of hot spots.

I have used this dehydrator for over 5 years + made jerky,fruit slices. and made all of our food for Boy Scouts high adventure with it.

Thanks Steve. I was really convinced the Nesco was the way to go. I was actually looking at that one and then researching the reviews went with the bigger one for speed and the timer. The lack of a timer was the biggest complaint.

Dan, I'm also looking at smokers. I think I've settled on the Rec Tec pellet smoker. A buddy of mine bought one and it makes a killer brisket!
I'm going to check out that dehydrator!

Phil that sounds awesome, I'm going to check it out. I can control myself, I can control myself. Ahh nuts, Phil you got an extra room if I get the boot?

Sorry Dan, I'm use to Mike making beef sticks. The jerky sticks do not need casing either.

Thanks Julie!

PJD
I made a cold smoker - similar to this one -
http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/cold-smokers

works great !!

I can smoke a whole turkey in less than 40 minutes and then put it directly in the oven. I have smoked I don't know how many pounds of ribs - only using the smoker and a cardboard box and them cooking them.

Holy Smokes Phil the smoker is nearly $1000 on Amazon. The reviews say it's well built and works great except for the smoke flavor. They said the smoke flavor is a lot milder in this machine.

Holy Smokes Phil the smoker is nearly $1000 on Amazon. The reviews say it's well built and works great except for the smoke flavor. They said the smoke flavor is a lot milder in this machine.

All I can say Dan is it makes a killer brisket! It is expensive but is extremely well made. I put my buddy's one together.
I do have a spare room in Florida, you might want to thaw out this winter!

Been doing this for 20+ years and recently went to using an oven instead of the dehydrator. I have a really good insulated dehydrator with digital controls and timer. I found I prefer the results out of the oven and clean up is easier too. You probably already have an oven. Tried the smoker too and didn't care for the added taste and smoke bitterness. That could have been my fault for going too long??

I bought the oven drying racks from Cabelas with 2 extra racks. They will handle 5 lbs of meat. I also use Cabelas larger jerky shooter.

If you're making sticks, look at the long tubes from LEM. Cabelas are too short and you're reloading all the time.

A friend of mine uses a jerky gun to make his sticks. From the few I have tried I found that I prefer sticks with casings. Just saying. Yours may turn out delicious. Just thought I would chime in with the limited amount of info I can add to the conversation.

Latest posts

Back