Very Flat Batches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterof

Reaction score
Ok so six months have passed, or so, and I have made two wine batches,
Aged one four months the other six months.

I had the wine in a wine cellar rental where the environment is maintained
for temperature and humidity.

I bottle the first wine a month ago, the second wine last week.

The problem we are finding is that the wine does not have much aroma to
it, nor a reasonable flavor. While the alcohol contend is there, and the dryness
is there you would expect form a Merlot, it seems very flat in both areas.
Is this normal or is there a problem.

Both were made from different kits.

It will take some time for both of them to develop. A month isn't enough and certainly a week isn't. If you really want to drink it now, decant it ahead of time for the aromas to open up a bit and it may improve flavor also.
Have some patience and you will be rewarded (unless they were really really cheap kits).

Flat kits????

CAN YOU FIRST TELL ME WHAT BRAND KITS THESE WERE AND IF THERE WAS ANYTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE CONTENTS.:?
A WORD ABOUT AROMA,WITH KITS NOT SO MUCH UNLESS YOU ADD A FPAC AT THE END IN MOST CASES IT'S NOT THERE.THIS IS A COMMON TRAIT AMONG KITS.:sl
IF I MIGHT ENQUIRE WHAT WERE THE PRICE LINES OF BOTH KITS.:mny

Both Kits cost around 75.00 for the kit
Winexpert Vintners Reserve
Aged one four months the other six months.
"month isn't enough and certainly a week isn't." not sure what was missed
but it sure was not a month or a week

The games a foot

VINTNER KITS ARE A MID-LEVEL KIT AND ARE CONCENTRATES, WITH NEXT TO NO AROMA,THEY SOMETIMES NEED HELP IN THE FLAVOR END AND DEPENDING ON THE STYLE OF KIT ONE BEING A MERLOT SHOULD HAVE HAD A GOOD AMOUNT OF WOOD AND TANNINS IN THE MIX WHICH THIS KIT DIDN'T SUPPLY YOU WITH AM I CORRECT? YOU CAN STILL CORRECT SOME OF THIS IF YOUR WILLING TO TAKE A CHANCE AND DO THE WORK TO MAKE THESE TWO KITS MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE,ARE YOU AND DO YOU?:wy

Bottled

The week and month were how long since you bottled. I think both of those were still suffering from bottle shock. Wines fit "wonky" tastes for a bit after bottling. I like to wait at least 3 months after bottling for those to clear. 6 months is even better.

So moving from a long term Carboy in cellar storage to
actual bottles causes a shift in flavor. And we should wait a few months
before judging ?

VINTNER KITS ARE A MID-LEVEL KIT AND ARE CONCENTRATES, WITH NEXT TO NO AROMA,THEY SOMETIMES NEED HELP IN THE FLAVOR END AND DEPENDING ON THE STYLE OF KIT ONE BEING A MERLOT SHOULD HAVE HAD A GOOD AMOUNT OF WOOD AND TANNINS IN THE MIX WHICH THIS KIT DIDN'T SUPPLY YOU WITH AM I CORRECT? YOU CAN STILL CORRECT SOME OF THIS IF YOUR WILLING TO TAKE A CHANCE AND DO THE WORK TO MAKE THESE TWO KITS MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE,ARE YOU AND DO YOU?:wy

No wood altho I did add the chips but no tannin
So should I have added some tannin ?

I was going to try this kit
Winexpert U41252
with skins to see if it improves, should I add or not add the oak chips and tannins to this kit

Flat kits????

I BELIEVE THAT TIME WILL NOT IMPROVE WHAT HAS BEEN DONE ,I DO BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN CREATE DEPTH IN THE WINE YOU HAVE ALREADY HAVE MADE ,YES TANNINS ARE A VERY IMPORTANT ELEMENT IN THE STRUCTURE OF RED WINES, YOU CAN STILL DO THIS ,BUT IT WILL TAKE A LITTLE WORK ON YOUR PART AND GOOD PLANNING BEFORE YOU START TO TAKE CORRECTIVE ACTION WITH YOUR PRODUCT.:u DO YOU ?

Last edited:
Fixing it

I BELIEVE THAT TIME WILL NOT IMPROVE WHAT HAS BEEN DONE ,I DO BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN CREATE DEPTH IN THE WINE YOU HAVE ALREADY HAVE MADE ,YES TANNINS ARE A VERY IMPORTANT ELEMENT IN THE STRUCTURE OF RED WINES, YOU CAN STILL DO THIS ,BUT IT WILL TAKE A LITTLE WORK ON YOUR PART AND GOOD PLANNING BEFORE YOU START TO TAKE CORRECTIVE ACTION WITH YOUR PRODUCT.:u DO YOU ?

I think i will just leave it has it is, and learn from it
I was not aware I should add tannins and a lot of oak
No big deal, will be sure I do that from here on out

Now i have a batch in primary atm, that included a small bag
of Flavoring that it says to add after stabilization
Should I add tannins to this batch, only started it yesterday

If I want to add tannins, what product do I use to do that, and how much for a MERLOT 6 gal batch
Thanks

Latest posts

Back