Forcing bud break

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapezilla

Reaction score
I stored some pollen in the freezer early summer but I have somehow managed to misplace these so I am not able to do the crosses I want on my continuously flowering plants.

I got some dormant young vines from the sale at the local nursery and am hoping I can get them to flower for me just a bit so that I don't have to postpone my plans until next year.

I did some googling and found studies that revealed that there's chemicals to help used commercially in Chile for instance but these are rather toxic and I'm not sure how much effort it would be to get these substances but I also found out that there's been successful studies on grapevines and other plants on the use of garlic extracts to get the bud break going.

The vinelings I have have already experienced some cold so I could imagine that they might have sufficient cold hours behind them and from what I gathered I'm poised for success if I just rub fresh garlic juice on the buds and provide enough light and heat.

I'm hoping to do some tests next week but for the time being I'm just theorizing. Has anyone any experience with this stuff?

xxx

I had potted Chardonnay and Riesling vines that I brought indoors when the weather got below 30. They were already dormant for a month. The dirt thawed in my basement and one month later the buds began swelling. I had grapes the first year this way, but since I grew them indoors all winter, they didn't seem to fruit the next year. If you need to push the buds out quick, I don't know the answer. If you want to just have bud break when they're ready to break, and it's been dormant for a while then you can just keep them warm soil moist and in the sun.

I rubbed some garlic on 28th of October on a dormant Beta vine that had been placed it in artificial lightning a few days earlier. I was away for five days so only just noticed that there's the top most bud broke swollen to half an inch so there's a leaf pretty much out. Did it with only one plant without a control and the vine wasn't a pure Vinifera but nothing to suggest the garlic didn't help. I hope I get the vine to flower now.

Reported earlier that I had inflorescence but now I actually have some. So it took about a month from rubbing garlic to this point.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back