Can you use #9 corks in screw top bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bottling my second wine a black cherry Pinot Noir and all the shop has is screw top bottles can you cork those? Also if not do the 28mm screw tops do a good job of sealing for storage? Or can tasting corks be used ?

No, you are taking a huge chance of one splitting open and getting hurt.

Bottling my second wine a black cherry Pinot Noir and all the shop has is screw top bottles can you cork those? Also if not do the 28mm screw tops do a good job of sealing for storage? Or can tasting corks be used ?

I've used screw top bottles and 28mm tops for the Island Mist type wines. I have had no problems so far but these usually don't last more than 12 - 18 months. I use corks for all other types of wine. I'm not sure I would trust the screw tops for extended ageing. Maybe others have used them long term and will respond to your question.
LOUMIK:hh

Tasting corks - NO for storage, unless you mean about 2 weeks.

28mm screw tops - I really don't know. Personally I have no experience. These are different than what is used by the commercial wineries, so I wouldn't go by their results.

can you cork these bottles? - yes

should you cork these bottles? - there are a LOT of reports of screw top bottles breaking when corked. But again, there are two types of screw cap bottles, and rarely does anybody differentiate between the two. When I ran a Ferment on Premise, some customers used these bottles (both types), and we had no unusual problems. Yeah a few broke, but a few cork-finish bottles broke too.

Steve

I us screw top bottles for some of my meads, because meads are subject to oxidation I use Oxygen barrier caps. if you want some oxygen infusion use oxygen absorbing barriers caps. for long term storage, you can switch to Oxygen barriers after aging.

The best solution for you (IMHO) is to go out and get bottles meant for corking.

I have found that not only is the neck thinner on screw cap bottles, but the diameter of the opening is also slightly larger.

Bottling my second wine a black cherry Pinot Noir and all the shop has is screw top bottles can you cork those? Also if not do the 28mm screw tops do a good job of sealing for storage?

LHBS store bought screw top bottles can be sealed with screw tops. Get the right top from the store.

Commercial screw top bottles are different and cannot be sealed with screw tops from the store.

I don't know how long I would trust a screw top. Maybe 2 years???

Back