Wine purchased online - CC Fraud

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
Two of my credit cards have been compromised in the past 3 months. I just wanted to say that using PayPal, Visa Checkout or another similar service that doesn't directly expose your Credit Card info is the better way to do online business.

I'm in the IT business and I can tell you that a lot of IT people are carrying cash these days. What a crazy world.

I think the future will be something like what Apple Pay is starting to do. The US is way behind the rest of the world when it comes to secure CC transactions. They've had chip cards in Europe for years. And in many places in Africa, money is safely and easily transferred using old fashioned non-smart cell phones using their phone numbers.

B of A Card

I think the future will be something like what Apple Pay is starting to do. The US is way behind the rest of the world when it comes to secure CC transactions. They've had chip cards in Europe for years. And in many places in Africa, money is safely and easily transferred using old fashioned non-smart cell phones using their phone numbers.

My new B of A card has the chip so we are heading that way

purchase on line CC fraud

GregND is correct, In Europe, they use a chip which makes it harder to compromise your card. I just got my new Wells Fargo Card and it has a chip.

I still am weary of target and Home depot based on the fraud.

It has been suggested at times that if you use a debit card for anything, you use it as a credit card since it is credit, it takes a few days to clear and the thief looking for a quick rip-off, deters them while a debit clears much quicker.

I had one one card I used a lot and I immediately noticed a charge for 93 cents from New York and I had purchased nothing from the East Coast.It went through and immediately who ever they were, they then made two purchases for 150 and 250 dollars and those got caught by my bank and me ---I got another card.

Corinth

Last edited:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but with the advent of State supported hacking en mass (think Putin and Russia) it is just a matter of time before we are all on a list of compromised cards. I am being monitored by no less than 3 services all provided free of charge by the agencies and companies that got hacked. In my case it was DOE ( yes our own GOV) Target as well as Home Depot. I get reports every month on my credit status etc. I have new cards of course but really until we switch over to cards with chips etc its a joke. The US is sooooo far behind because it would cost…….. MONEY which corporations don't want to spend to protect your assets only theirs…… End of rant! :tz

Last edited:
The US is way behind the rest of the world when it comes to secure CC transactions. They've had chip cards in Europe for years.

That is true. I moved out from France more than 10 yrs ago and the chip technology was already. Actually it was already there for as long as I can remember it growing up.

I've had, six cards replaced since last, Dec. Thanks Target, Home Depot, Nordstroms, Lacie Hard drives, etc... I just stopped at a, Starbucks to buy my client a coffee and my card that has, six figures CASH in the account, was also just closed due to a breech. Chip technology cards can be hacked, too.

A friend of mine, who till recently was running the credit card fraud division at a major Canadian Bank, explained how the chip cards work. When you put you card into the machine to make a purchase, the card connects with your bank and asks for your pin. If that is right the bank then asks for a unique code contained in the chip. If that is correct, the transaction goes through. The last thing the bank does is send your card another different code for the next time you use your card. It is a two way process with the code always changing. Better system but not perfect especially when I can make purchases with the tap and go feature that requires no pin to be entered (for low dollar amounts).

Makes you want to drink. Cheers

For on-line purchases, I use my Citibank Card. They offer one-time-use numbers (virtual account numbers). You can also have it set to one-vendor-use (number can only be used with that vendor).

Regarding debit vs. credit card: You have much more consumer protection with a credit card. I never use a debit card unless I really have to. And then, it is against a low usage checking account (can't get to my main money).

So far the bad guys haven't been able to undermine services like PayPal.

It doesn't matter where I was making purchases (and I have no way to know which one was hacked). All I can hope is that they catch the people doing it.

I am looking forward to upgrading my iPhone 5 to a 6 and using ApplePay. In the last two years, I've had my Visa replaced twice and my debit card replaced once. Fortunately, no expense to me, but we all pay for it in the form of higher prices resulting from transaction fees. I like PayPal, but hate that they want your bank account info. If you can stick with just giving them CC, you have some extra protection.

And this is why I prefer to walk into my LHBS and pay cash!

Cant steal my card and my wife is non the wiser!!!!

Do you guys have to pay the fraudulent charges in the States?

Here in Canada, we are not liable for charges that are fraudulent on our credit cards. I am therefore not particularly concerned about the "safety" of my CC. Using debit is much more tricky to prove you did not make purchases.

Last edited:
no we don't pay the fraudulent charges but when you card is jeopardized it is a pain the last time mine was jeopardized I had to close out my checking account and then change passwords.

It's a super huge PITA if you have lots of bills on auto-pay with the CC that they just closed for fraud. I wish everyone just took PayPal and all I had to do is change one place.

Speaking of I just got two emails last night from one of my card companies. The card that I run all our monthly bills through (airline points) had been hacked. I think this is the second time in one year now. I use it all over the internet as well as Target and Home Depot so who knows where the card got compromised. At least with the technology today you get an immediate text or email notifying you….

They have become insanely efficient at detecting and processing fraud. Now if they could expend some of that energy to making the cards more secure...

Latest posts

Back