My first attempt at red wine with grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buehler91

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to attempt my first red wine with MLF.
I don't have a crusher/destemmer yet so I figure it will be best to try frozen buckets first.

I've decided to do a Pinot Noir (2 buckets) from Wine grapes direct and I have 2 choices:

2012 PINOT NOIR
Sonoma Coast, Price Family Vineyards
$135 per 5 gallon pail
Brix: 24.8
pH: 3.9
TA: .55

2013 PINOT NOIR
Sonoma Coast, Durell Vineyard, Upper Blocks
$175 per 5 gallon pail
Brix: 24.5
pH: 3.50
TA: .58

Price is not a determining factor for me, so with that being said:

1. Which would you choose?
2. What kind of yeast would you use?
3. What kind of MLB?
4. Oak?

What kind of numbers are "ideal" for a Pinot Noir?

Any help will be appreciated, just trying to make sure I get all my ducks in a row.

If price is not a problem, it seems to me that the 2013 one is a better choice because it will need less adjustment in terms of acidity and will be better protected from bacterial spoilage in the long run.

As for the yeast, you can use either Lalvin 71B-1122, or Red Star Pasteur Red.

I will let the more experienced wine makers have a go at recommending the MLB and oak, but I would only say that if you intend to age it on oak, it is better to get it in the form of staves or cubes, because chips and powder can impart too harsh of a flavor that is difficult to control, especially since Pinot Noir is not a full-bodied wine like Cabernet or Syrah.

I have ordered from this company before and would highly recommend them!! Michael Crews will ask if you would like the nutrients etc with your order. They are free and will come with exactly the amount of tartaric acid to get the must in line with where I'm guessing he has made it. It will come with oak cubes if needed. Go ferm fermaid k and pectic enzymes and yeast. Great package!!! Can't help you on the best MLB to get though just know what comes in the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I have ordered from this company before and would highly recommend them!! Michael Crews will ask if you would like the nutrients etc with your order. They are free and will come with exactly the amount of tartaric acid to get the must in line with where I'm guessing he has made it. It will come with oak cubes if needed. Go ferm fermaid k and pectic enzymes and yeast. Great package!!! Can't help you on the best MLB to get though just know what comes in the package.

I got the Chenin Blanc from them this july and its amazingly good already, thats why i figured I'd go with them again. just trying to learn a little more before I order.

Hi all,

I'm going to attempt my first red wine with MLF.

I don't have a crusher/destemmer yet so I figure it will be best to try frozen buckets first.

I've decided to do a Pinot Noir (2 buckets) from Wine grapes direct and I have 2 choices:

2012 PINOT NOIR

Sonoma Coast, Price Family Vineyards

$135 per 5 gallon pail

Brix: 24.8

pH: 3.9

TA: .55

2013 PINOT NOIR

Sonoma Coast, Durell Vineyard, Upper Blocks

$175 per 5 gallon pail

Brix: 24.5

pH: 3.50

TA: .58

Price is not a determining factor for me, so with that being said:

1. Which would you choose?

2. What kind of yeast would you use?

3. What kind of MLB?

4. Oak?

What kind of numbers are "ideal" for a Pinot Noir?

Any help will be appreciated, just trying to make sure I get all my ducks in a row.

Durell Vineyard, RC-212 yeast with VP-41 MLF

Sam

There are several ways to go with the fermentation. What characteristics do you like most in a commercial pinot noir?

Cheers!

2012 was a good year but the bucket is going on a couple years old now. You can fix the numbers easily with some acid additions for sure. You got $$ to burn and want something only a year old LOL go with the 2013 bucket.

Yeast go with BM45, RP15, GRE or even RC212.

I also vote for the 2013. The grapes seem to be a little less ripe (old) and need less adjustment.

I would go with RC212 yeast, your MLB of choice, and nice oak staves (medium toast / Hungarian)

I like it kinda of fruity with a hint of oak

Alot of good suggestions here. I think the only thing to add would be consider splitting the ferment into 2-3 fermenters each with a different yeast. There are some suggestions for yeast characteristics here http://www.lallemandwine.us/cellar/pinot_noir.php. Keep the temps below 70 if you want to emphasize the fruit, and Remove any stem jacks as it thaws. I would go with Stavin french oak, medium toast.

I prefer a bigger style of pinot with some tannins, and this year I'm splitting my 3 lugs of WA pinot between AMH, RC212, and BM4x4 each with 10g of french oak chips, 1.5g lallyzyme, 1.7 g booster rouge, and 2.5 g optired.

Cheers!

One more suggestion is to pick up a 6gal kit to do a second run on your pinot skins.

I've used WE Bergameis and am trying a WE Pinot this year as well. After pressing your fermented grapes, add the kit diluted to 23-24 brix with water to the skins. It should start fermenting without adding any more yeast or nutrient. You'll be surprised how much extra character your 2nd run picks up from the skins, and it will be ready to drink sooner than the fresh grapes.

Cheers!

I've only made wine from fresh fruit and from frozen must from these guys. They get top notch fruit. I'm currently aging some Durell Chard that I fermented this summer and it's tasting amazing. Will get their Zin and Syrah this winter, since I always crush fresh Pinot Noir grapes in the Fall.

Alot of good suggestions here. I think the only thing to add would be consider splitting the ferment into 2-3 fermenters each with a different yeast. There are some suggestions for yeast characteristics here http://www.lallemandwine.us/cellar/pinot_noir.php. Keep the temps below 70 if you want to emphasize the fruit, and Remove any stem jacks as it thaws. I would go with Stavin french oak, medium toast.

I prefer a bigger style of pinot with some tannins, and this year I'm splitting my 3 lugs of WA pinot between AMH, RC212, and BM4x4 each with 10g of french oak chips, 1.5g lallyzyme, 1.7 g booster rouge, and 2.5 g optired.

Cheers!

I will be splitting it into 2 batches, since I didn't double click when I ordered:po
So I'm going to go with 2 types of yeast.
I Think it comes with rc212 then ill go with BM4x4 for the other batch.
Now I'm wondering what it would be like if I do one batch cool ferment and the other "hotter"
Then blend the 2.
Or is that kind of nutty?

Might be a little bit late to interject this comment, buy why not get some frozen must or white juice from this years harvest from M&M?

Might be a little bit late to interject this comment, buy why not get some frozen must or white juice from this years harvest from M&M?

I've never used M&M just ordered from winegrapes direct so far with excellent results.

Though looking through their site..the sangiovese has me thinking....

Yeah, they have good product and their service is really good. You can even get fresh grapes from them if that is your thing.

Presque Isle is offering frozen Spanish must/juice and it looks like they might ship, but they ask that you call about it. I haven't dealt with either, but have heard very good things about M&M and winegrapesdirect as well.

I will be splitting it into 2 batches, since I didn't double click when I ordered:po

So I'm going to go with 2 types of yeast.

I Think it comes with rc212 then ill go with BM4x4 for the other batch.

Now I'm wondering what it would be like if I do one batch cool ferment and the other "hotter"

Then blend the 2.

Or is that kind of nutty?

Not nutty to me! I have rubbermaid bins filled with water and a heat source in my basement, and put my fermenters (5 gal buckets) right in.

Going hotter might reduce your fruit forward character, but should give better color and skin extraction. Either yeast can go warmer, but both also can produce some H2S if they get stressed out. I would start these sometime when you can baby sit them over 4-5 days with frequent punchdowns, and have some complex yeast nutrient ready if they start to complain by making H2S.

Cheers!

Turns out they sent Amh for yeast after reading up on it I think I'll like the flavor profile.
I'm going to go with the vp41 for MLB with this.

Latest posts

Back