23L / 6 Gallon American oak wine barrels Anyone????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for some 23L / 6 Gallon American oak wine barrels. I cannot seem to find any. Does anyone know where I can find some? I want at least 4 of them.

Thanks! :ib

I've only seen 5 gallon american oak barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Northernbrewer has 5 and 7.5 gal American Oak barrels.

Given how much evaporates, I would say that a 5 gal is ideal for a 6 gal batch. That leaves 1 gal for topping off.

I can't recommend vadai enough. The small 10L barrel I got from them never leaked. Before I knew about Vadai, I got a few sizes of American oak barrels from a couple places in TX/Mexico, and almost all had to be replaced twice. Staves slipping out of place, horizontal cracks, all kinds of things. The good thing I can say is that they had excellent customer service and replaced the barrels. But given that they are half as thick and have more imperfections than vadai, I wouldn't really recommend.

Of course, a Vadai isn't that helpful to you if what you're really looking for is an American oak profile

I bought 1 American Oak from Northernbrewer (made by Barrell Mill) and 1 from Vadai and I can tell you the quality of the Vadai is far better than the one made by Barrell Mill. As for the taste, my fingers are crossed!

You can always add american oak to your wine/barrel via staves, beans etc. especially once the barrel is neutral. Win win!

You can always add american oak to your wine/barrel via staves, beans etc. especially once the barrel is neutral. Win win!

+1! But be sure you like the flavor profile of the initial barrel, as it will flavor your first four or so wines.

I can get 6 gal used bourbon barrel for $100. Comments on bourbon barrels is that the oak is not as good for wine. But ...

If the main benefit of a barrel is to get to the neutral stage, and then using it for long-term aging (concentration of the wine from slow evaporation), then how would a used bourbon barrel be for that?

It would make your wine taste like it had bourbon in it.

WHy bother when you can get a 6 gallon brand spanking new Vadai for only $58 more.

Arts and crafts of Mexico makes a great six gal. / 24 L American oak barrel

+1! But be sure you like the flavor profile of the initial barrel, as it will flavor your first four or so wines.

I totally agree! I have Vadai barrels and Barrel Mill barrels. Myself ... I like the taste of American Oak over Hungarian hands down. I even like it over my French ones.... My barrels from Barrel Mill never leaked.... But none of my barrels leak either... Taste profile comes first!

Back