welches grape concentrate = how many cups sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i need to add 5 cups of sugar to my primary, started fermenting yesterday. i bought some frozen Welches grape concentrate- grape real fruit beverage.

my 5 gallon bucket is already quite full and cant put the contents much fuller,...is really full of fruit

this is for a saskatoon and chokecherry wine, i am guessing its 3 gallons or so, maybe a bit more, would like to use an 18 litre plastic bottle for secondary.

does anyone have an estimate of approx how many say cups of sugar is in one of these frozen grape concentrates? sugar/glucose is the first ingredient. and if its better (takes less room) than straight sugar.

also, how much time do i have before my sg starts lowering due to fermentation, in order to adjust the sugar level?

well i figured out that i can find out how many litres liquid i have by calculating the 1400 grams i added and how it changed the SG from 1025 to 1060. so seems i have 14 litres. after adding one frozen welches, my sg went from 1060 to 1090 with a couple hours. so, that calculates to 4.72 cups of granulated sugar.... seems high

i figured smart to retest the sg as it can not be possible for the sg to go up so high from one can of this stuff, well i think the problem is that the liquid is too thick, its like a syrup, i pushed it down and kept trying to get the thinner liquid but i could not even test it, i could move the hydrometer and it just stayed wherever i moved it,....the bucket is real full and i have to push it down every hour or two. i need to get a proper reading, any suggestions?

Brenda, you mite want to find another bucket and split the must. Your next post mite say the bucket overflowed and I have a heck of a mess. Been there. At least put a big tray or a large garbage bag under it. Makes an easier cleanup. You can try using a kitchen strainer shoved into the bucket and draw some liquid out. Check your s.g. with the liquid. Should give you a better reading. Good luck with your project. Arne.

Good suggestions Arne. i was able to keep it from overflowing but was prepared in case it did. now my dilemna is i am not sure if/how much sugar i should add. the liquid was too thick to get a proper SG measurement. i had it up from 1025 to 1060 by adding 7 cups sugar, then after adding the frozen grape stuff it shot up to 1090 after a few hours but i think this reading was incorrrect - it was just so thick. well i added another cup sugar yesterday.

my alcohol measures this morning at 9 percent now, and my SG is 1015. i am not sure how or if it is able to calculate if more sugar is needed.

i think it might be 14 litres total liquid (unless some pulp also turns to liquid) and i would like to be able to fill an 18 litre carboy (for ease of racking rather than 1 gallon jugs. have saved some frozen saskatoons and would not mind to sweeten slightly later on. in case there is less liquid than i estimate i will liikely go and buy a 3 gallon carboy but if it wont take too much water to fill up the 18 litre would prefer this. could i add some more frozen grape stuff after racking to secondary for more body and sweetness or is there anything i could add instead of water?

my alcohol measures this morning at 9 percent now, and my SG is 1015.

How are you judging the alcohol content?

i am not sure how or if it is able to calculate if more sugar is needed.

What makes you think it may need more sugar? From your description so far, (if the 1.090 was actually accurate), your ABV will be north of 12.5% as it is.

i used a little alcohol measuring thing, i dont know what its called, you put some drops of wine in and it drips out, then flip it over and it reads the alcohol content. on the hydrometer chart 1015 is 1.6 percent alcohol. so if it was at nine, when it ferments down would that not make it 10.6 percent?

Latest posts

Back