How to test copper levels and remove with gum arabic?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ram012593

Junior
Reaction score
Well the title says it all basically I wanted to know if there are any reliable ways to test for copper concentration in wine.I also read that gum arabic can be used to remove it, and would like to know if this is possible how exactly would I go about doing that. Thanks much in advanced!

Yes Ive added some copper to it for H2S control. Not copper sulfate but just racked it through copper tube. I would like to know if there is an effective way to remove copper from it I've been told that activated carbon filtration will not work. I would also like to know if there is a way to reliably test the concentrations for it. Thanks in advanced.

Honestly, this is a complicated question to answer without performing some kind of test. The natrual path for copper in our daily lives ( as regulated by the authorities) is leaching of copper from pipes into our drinking water. The ammount of leaching is a function of a few things a few of them being, surface area being in contact with the copper, acidity as well likely temperature.

Since, I am not an expert on this matter, if you feel bad about it, I would recommend you get it tested. My gut, tells me it is likely ok. However, I don't really like advising people by what my gut feels.

These guys, look like they can test copper levels. So, I might be tempted to give these guys a call and see what you want to do.

http://www.enartisvinquiry.com/index.cfm/Analytical Services/Physical-Chemical Analysis/12/copper

I built many homes in my younger day using copper pipe, I and thousands of others for decades have uh-hum ran clear drink thru copper worms, all with no harm to my knowledge, copper removes bacteria to some degree as well as sulfates, but in the end I know nothing,, I have no problem drinking what's:i run thru copper pipes as long as all shoddier is lead free,

Well, this should be a cautionary tale for all winemakers. You should NEVER use copper pipes,or pennies, or wire for the removal of H2S because these methods leak too much copper into the wine--unhealthy levels.

You should use a product like Reduless for this purpose, as it only has a nominal amount of copper in it to do the job of removing H2S.

I would not go as far as to assume using these methods would most likely give unhealthy levels of copper into the wine. But I would say very hard to quantify with any level of confidence levels of copper into the wine.

Which for my purposes is as big as a deterrent as I could possibly need to not add copper wire or pipes into my wine. As was also mentioned, a product like Reduless is excellent because it gives you a known and quantifiable amount of copper into your wine per addition. Thus, you are not left with the very tricky error prone, and potentially risky task of trying to estimate what amount of copper ions diffused into your wine from the pipe or wire.

sorry I was under the impression that he only racked through copper as in it only being in contact for just a few minutes at best, which works great for rocket fuel and longer contact for water both heated and cold, soaking in wine on the other hand I have no clue as to the effects, only water, shine, and making wine in to brandy using copper boiler with copper tower with copper mesh (reflux) in tower and copper worm(cooling coil) end result brandy wine,, soaking might be a big time difference,,,,, soaking would be a no no for me as well, but only because I do not know nothing about the cause an effects,,,, thought I might need to be clearer about my statement,,,

Right, and something else to consider with copper on water and distalte on water is that wine can be quite a bit more acidic at times than water or shine making extraction much faster.

oop's,,, sorry, I didn't think about that, I only was thinking about liquids ran through coppers pipes then drank, such as plumbing,,, so sorry

The whole idea is that you are NOT sure of the copper levels you are introducing--you DO if you use Reduless, instead. Allowing copper in any other form to contact wine is NOT recommended.

Latest posts

Back