Other Kit wine that compares to commercials wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Hello everone. I think that this could be a fun thread.. What kit wine did you make that resembles a commercial wine? Also, could you put a retail price on your own wine, what would it be?

I found that the Cellar Craft Washington Reisling Ice wine was on par with some very expensive commercial ice wines I have tried. Of all the kits I have done to date, I have been most impressed with this kit for that reason. I would probably price this at $60CDN per 375ml bottle.

Last edited:
I have only found a couple that came close to commercial wines IMHO. The best that was not a Limited Release kit is the Cellar Craft (now KenRidge) Showcase Yakima Valley Cabernet Merlot

So far I think my WE LE 2012 Barolo came as close to a commercial wine taste than any of my other 15 or so. The cellar craft sterling GSM with skins is a very close second. I would say they would both be about a $10 bottle. All my wines are less than 18 months old however.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Assuming you've made and aged them properly, the high end kits, $5 to $6 per bottle, compare to wines in the $12 to $20 range. The mid priced kits $3 to $4 per bottle, compare in the $6 to $10 range. These prices are based on USD. Another important factor that is rarely considered is sales tax. Buying grape juice is taxed at grocery rates, or not at all if shipped from out of state. Commercial wine is taxed at a much higher rate. Any opportunity to help starve the beast is a plus.

Oops yeah, you're right. I had both the LE Nebbiolo and eclipse Barolo in my cart, then read that they're both the same grape, so opted for the LE since it was a rarity. Yes, it is good at only a year. A little worried though, I racked down after barrel aging to a 5 gallon carboy and two 750 bottles. I'm now very tempted to bottle the rest. Must resist!!

2012 Cellar Craft LR Red Mountain Trio
2012 Cellar Craft LR Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
Cellar Craft Showcase Argentina Malbec
RJS Cru Select German Gerwurztraminer
too soon for RJS WS Super Tuscan and CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot and WE Eclipse series.

I can't afford to buy the wine I have become accustom to drinking :)

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

So far I think my WE LE 2012 Barolo came as close to a commercial wine taste than any of my other 15 or so. The cellar craft sterling GSM with skins is a very close second. I would say they would both be about a $10 bottle. All my wines are less than 18 months old however.

Based on your good review some time ago I got that CC Sterling GSM aging in glass carboy....darn I even forgot to write notes about this kit....:m

Well, I started it about 2 months ago...

2012 Cellar Craft LR Red Mountain Trio
2012 Cellar Craft LR Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
Cellar Craft Showcase Argentina Malbec
RJS Cru Select German Gerwurztraminer
too soon for RJS WS Super Tuscan and CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot and WE Eclipse series.

Both the Cellar Craft LR Red Mountain Trio and CC LR Bella Sonoma Pinot Noir are a among the best I have done. I would add the Winexpert Small lots 3 Continents Meritage and RJ Spagnols Limited Release Toro-Tempranillo-grenache also. The Limited editions are definitely worth doing. As far as Cellar Craft Walla Walla Cab/Merlot, there have been many fantastic reviews. I have my eyes on you! :wy

As others have said, the Red Mountain Trio is outstanding. But it is no longer available. Cellar Craft (aka: KenRidge) does still offer the Red Mountain Cabernet though. Another excellent wine. I've also been very impressed with the Kenridge/Cellar Craft California Grand Red.

I just had a few small glasses of my 2013 Cellar Craft Red Mountain Cab. It is 13 months since pitching the yeast. I remarked to my wife that I thought it was one of the few kits I have made that is equal to a $15 to $25 bottle of cabernet sauvignon. And I expect it to get better.

For most of the other kits (not all) I have made, I felt the quality fell between what I can buy commercially for $8 to $12. But that's just me. YMMV

The secret to making excellent kit wines may not be the kit or the varietal, but letting it mature fully. But what fun is there in that?

NS

I just had a few small glasses of my 2013 Cellar Craft Red Mountain Cab. It is 13 months since pitching the yeast. I remarked to my wife that I thought it was one of the few kits I have made that is equal to a $15 to $25 bottle of cabernet sauvignon. And I expect it to get better.

For most of the other kits (not all) I have made, I felt the quality fell between what I can buy commercially for $8 to $12. But that's just me. YMMV

The secret to making excellent kit wines may not be the kit or the varietal, but letting it mature fully. But what fun is there in that?

NS

That is both excellent news, and also distressing news. I too just tried a split of my 2013 Cellar Craft Showcase Cabernet Red Mountain, 1 year old next week, and it was still the worse than any $10 CDN Cabernet Sauvignons I have tasted. There are some odd flavors and odors that make it hard to enjoy. My wife took one sip and wouldn't drink any more. This was one of three "big red" kits I made around the same time at a local FoP. All three are similar in terms of flavor and aroma.

So I am left trying to reconcile your positive experience, and many others like you who have made this kit, with mine. Is it possible the procedure and timeline while making the kit can have a big effect on the outcome? Certainly the FoP uses the 6 week timeline, and probably a generic winemaking process, but could that really make a significantly different end product?

I would like to hear any feedback on how closely instructions were followed, and what if any tweaks were made, from people who have made enjoyable kits that compare well to commercial wines.

I tried a bottle of My Red Mt Cab that I pitched in Aug last year. It is a BIG Cab but it is still to young. Hang in there, I am giving mine another year. I MIGHT try one at Christmas 2014.

I made a RMC in 1012 and 2013. The 2012 version was terrific at 12 months and amazing at 30 months (now, sadly all gone) The 2013 version is now 18 months old and nowhere near ready for daily use. The oak is still waaaay to powerful. I made no tweaks to this kit, since I wanted to duplicate the previous version.

Best advice, as Kevin said, forget you have it for another year or so. I am confident you won't be disappointed.

I have been making wine since around 2010. So far, after about 40 kits made, I must say that there are only a few that come close to what I like to drink commercially. I must say that I am a lover of big bold reds with mouth puckering tannins and lots of body.

Out of all the kits, the red mountain cabernet trio from cellar craft is the one that is the most closely tasting to commercial in my opinion.

I am transitioning to making wine from fresh grapes for this reason.

My 2013 High End, Barrel Aged, Double Oaked Super Tuscan is Priceless!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back