Carboy Tags

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francois_du_nord

Fermenting Trough Wiper
Reaction score
As my obsession grows (and my memory fades), I realized I needed to have a way to identify what the heck I've got going in my various carboys. I started out with a different low budget concept, but then I remembered that I had found this recently, and decided to use it.

95C52922_zpsc0a0a9ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is copper strip which I cut and then labeled. I have now punched holes in each end, and will hang the appropriate varietal tag around the carboy, thereby keeping my poor little brain uncluttered for other useless knowledge.

Best, Fran

Neat idea. I just use little paper price tags and throw them away when I'm done. Sometimes they get wet and have to be replaced, but no big deal.

You could also get a pet tag made and put it on with some of that cheap chain that looks like tiny steel balls.

That cheap chain is exactly what I'm gunning for. In real life I play a guy that goes to a lot of conventions. So I'm going to collect lots of those chains, and I'm golden.

But the pet tag with engraved names is a pretty darned cool idea!

We have some plastic tags that were thrown away at work. We use a grease pencil on them and when we're done, can wash the pencil off with Lestoil or Goo-Be-Gone and use it over again. We like a large tag because we like to not only write the varietal on it, but other notes such as oak and the date we started it,etc.

Another thing we've done is to make reuseable tags by cutting up Cool Whip containers, margarine containers, or those yellow milk jugs. Clear plastic is too hard to see against a carboy.

I have used all types of tags but found the best was painter tape and a sharpie. it not only identify the varietal but date when it went into carboy and next racking or so2 addition date. It resembles a minilog. good for when you have a number of carboys and just review dates to see when next action needs to be taken. this does not replace the detailed log on the computer but a short version for quick look. paint tape transfers easy to next carboy withouut sticky residue.

I have used all types of tags but found the best was painter tape and a sharpie. it not only identify the varietal but date when it went into carboy and next racking or so2 addition date. It resembles a minilog. good for when you have a number of carboys and just review dates to see when next action needs to be taken. this does not replace the detailed log on the computer but a short version for quick look. paint tape transfers easy to next carboy withouut sticky residue.

+1 that is also what I do and unless I have something better I use the same method to label the bottles. :D

Really nice, Fran.

I use a glass marker and just write on the carboy.

I use shipping tags with the wire - they can be easily transferred from carboy and then finally to an index file if needed

Avery part # 11011
4 3/4'' x 2 3/8''

I use a brown rigid tag with strings attached. I tie the tag and slip it around the neck.
I also put the date of the last rack and k-meta dose.

This allows me to not have to refer to my notes every moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Apart from Fran's metal tags** (I have no tools to work with metal) I basically use full sheets of paper with plastic protectors, the wired shipping labels (more for beer) and painters' masking tape. I also used blackboard paint to create a chalkboard which I hung in the basement right in front of my exercise bike that flags me when I should be racking or testing , tasting or bottling from the different carboys.

** Corrected this sentence. Not sure why but I thought the OP was from Elmer. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
For kits I keep the instruction sheet with the bucket and then carboy. Other than kits I've only done DB and that goes to bottle so fast there really isn't any need for tags. Once bottled I'll use painters tape or stickies or cryptic writing on the corks to keep track of what wine and when bottled.

The copper is very nice but I like to document every step so I use 4.5" x 2.5" shipping labels with string. Several times a year I enter the label data into a simple database I built in MS access.

I got lazy on the last time around, and have untagged "mystery wines". I know what they are, from left to right) pineapple (in demijohn), skeeter-tea/tea-pee, apple passion mango, apple cherry, peach, and strawberry.

Normally I tag them, but got totally lazy.... totally

1409597978538.jpg

Nice looking wines, Gina. There's a few there that I'd rack soon.

Latest posts

Back