Big and Bold Competition (unofficial)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks,

I am pleased to officially announce the Big and Bold red wine competition! This competition will award medals to any Big and Bold red wine (grape) scoring enough points on the UC Davis scale. Awarded medals will be mailed back to the participants along with scoring sheets.

Only medal winners will be announced publicly.

I really like the UC Davis method. If everyone sends in wine that scores enough points, then everyone will receive a gold medal!

To make sure that the word gets out, I have posted this announcement in both the competition and the general chit-chat forums.

The date for the competition is 10/11/2014. You can send your entries as soon as you want and they will be properly cellared (to give the wine a chance to get over "bottle shock").

To make shipping cheaper, all entries are to be sent to just one address (Joeswine and I will meet prior to the competition to divide the entries).

So spread the word and lets hope for a great turn out!!!

Here is the list of (unofficial) rules

1) Contest open to ANY big bold red wine made from grapes.

2) Entries open to all winemaking methods (wines made from kits, pail juice, or fresh grapes) and will be judged together (no separate categories based on how the wine was made).

3) UC Davis scoring method will be used. The following link is the scoring sheet that will be used.

http://www.musingsonthevine.com/MusingsUCDavisForm.pdf

4) Medals will be awarded and mailed out to the entrants based on the following point scale.

18-20 Gold
15-17 Silver
12-14 Bronze

Note: Awards will be made based on a wine's own merits. As a result, there can be multiple gold, silver, and bronze medals awarded in any given category.

4) The exact categories within the competition will depend on the number of entries received. If we receive, say, 3 entries of Cabernet, then we will have Cabernet as its own varietal category. A category of "Other Reds" will be used otherwise.

5) A wine should have 80% varietal content to be considered as that varietal.

6) Entries need to be 2 (two) bottles with a minimum volume of 375ml and should include varietal or style of wine, vintage year, and winemaking talk.com name. Since both judges are located in the same state, entries can be shipped in ONE box to ONE address, thus saving on freight costs.

7) Judges (johnT, Joeswine, et al) will not compete.

8) Judging will be held on October 11, 2014, and we are currently accepting entries. Entries will be properly cellared until the date of judging.

9) If interested, please let me know by responding to this post and I will PM you the address information.

Now you're talking my language! Trouble is, I don't know if I have any big bold reds that I want to give up! :D

I'm assuming a person could enter multiple wines - is that correct?

Now you're talking my language! Trouble is, I don't know if I have any big bold reds that I want to give up! :D

I'm assuming a person could enter multiple wines - is that correct?

Yes, you can enter as many wines as you like.

Since entries need only be 375ml, and two bottles are required, we are only talking about only one 750ml bottle's worth of wine.

Surely, you have 1 bottle that you can spare... :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back