tilling ground

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Junior
Reaction score
I'm going to till the ground this autumn in preparation for planting in spring but I'm wondeirng if I should get a tiller?
Most store tillers only dig to about 5 or 6inches but I think for vines I'd need to dig to about 12 inches?
How long would it take 2 or 3 people to dig a 50ft by 50ft because if I don't have to spend on the tiller then I won't bother.

...or is there anything I can put on the back of a riding mower to help out?

Last edited:
If all you are going to use the tiller for is the one time, why not rent one?? Couple of hours and you will have the tilling done, where the vines are going to go if you want it deeper, just dig a hole deeper there. The rest of the ground that is tilled will probably just be lying fallow as the tilling will help keep the weeds down. Of course, this is the way the lazy guy and cheap guy would do it. Good luck with it, Arne.

If all you are going to use the tiller for is the one time, why not rent one?? Couple of hours and you will have the tilling done, where the vines are going to go if you want it deeper, just dig a hole deeper there. The rest of the ground that is tilled will probably just be lying fallow as the tilling will help keep the weeds down. Of course, this is the way the lazy guy and cheap guy would do it. Good luck with it, Arne.

I've seen some suggestions to backhoe the area to about 3ft deep.
I'm planning on around 120vines in spring so something like a 50ft x 50ft area?

I think it really depends on your soil and what you need for preparation. Have you had a soil test done? Do you need to do a lot of amendments to your soil before planting? If so, it makes sense to dig a deeper trench and amend it well. If not, I don't think it is necessary to do a backhoe. Is your soil very compact and need to be loosened up?

I made the mistake of tilling up my vineyard plot. By mistake I mean the tilling created a huge weed problem by bringing millions of mallow seeds to the surface to germinate. I've been battling it for two years.

For planting your vines, I would suggest you get a hand operated motorized post hole digger and drill your holes. It goes quickly and works great. I had two guys manning the post hole digger followed by folks planting behind them. 325 plants put in and watered in 2 hours.

it is best to use Roundup on the strip where the wines are to be planted. only till the strip about 2-3 ft wide spaced every eight feet. once all grass is dead till the strip. vines can be planted in spring as noted by GregND. use grow tubes after planting. Roundup can then be used to keep grass and weed down without harming plants. after first year grapes are tough enough to not be disturbed by Round up. spray weed on wind less days.

Are you planning on putting in a cover crop for overwintering? Is there a reason to till it up or do you just think you have to for some reason? Weed reservoirs are deep and just waiting to see the sun. WMVJ

I went to the effort of digging 2 feet deep and mixing the soil the first year I planted. All it caused me was problems, like weeds. The rest I planted with a shovel in a hole just deep enough to hold the roots, no problems.

As said it really depends on your soil. Unless it is overly hard or you need to add amendments, the grapes will push the roots through on their own. They've been doing it for eons.

I believe in using machinery or hand digging if it is needed.

I like the idea of using a small backhoe - I like using the mini version - it will cost you less than 200 dollars - and you could have it all done in in less than 2 hours if not less.

Just an added note - ask your friends and neighbors and maybe you can split the bill ??

Latest posts

Back