WMT (Unofficial) 2014 Port Wine Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
Ok, we're up and running! :D

This competition will be for home made port or port style wines (no kits). Send in your best (if you like) and we'll see how we all stack up. The one condition to entry is the winners (1st and 2nd place) agree to share their recipe with us all. I, personally---since I'm new to port making---would love to add some great port recipes to my repertoire. These winners, if they are willing, can be our judges for next years event.

Our judges will be Deezil and Duster. You two please PM me your shipping addresses and I'll forward them to our competitors. Let's shoot for getting one bottle each (size is your option) to our esteemed judges by the end of this month, so perhaps they can use the July 4th festivities for a tasting event of their choice.

:dg

Judges, if you will, please give each contestant some feedback on their port, through a PM if possible, after your judging.

If all goes well, we'll do this each year around the same time. Sound good everyone?

So far, these members have shown interest:

dangerdave
franki1926
ColemanM
JohnT
Runningwolf
4score
vacuumpumpman
joeswine

Wow! What a great group! If you are on the above list please varify your entry below.

Last edited:
Sounds good Dave.

Question - where do you source your 375 bottles?

Sounds good Dave.

Question - where do you source your 375 bottles?

The ones I have gotten have been from a place here in Ohio called Labelpeelers. I use them because they are close by. They might not be the best deal for someone in California, but you can check them out online. Amazon.com also sells a variety of 375's.

Sounds good can't wait to kick this off. I'm assuming we will have scoring cards or categories to judge to?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making Talk App

Use whatever means you like, Duster. Since this is an unofficial contest, there is no official score method. Whatever you think will work best for you. You and Deezil will need to coordinate your results to come to an ageement on who are the best, therefore, a scoring system would probably work well.

We would like to have a Gold, Silver, Bronze, and two Honorable Mentions from our nine contestants. Which I think is amazing! Thanks coming out for this one, guys! :br

The judges' addresses have been PMed to our combatants. Let me know if you did not get them. Bottle if you must, and sent your samples out this month. Judges, please confirm the arrival of all entries as you get them, so we'll know they arrived safely and intact.

Game on!

Last edited:
Doug (ffemt) gave me a scoring sheet that I used in the last contest. My celebrity guest judges and I found it to be very helpful. I can send it on if you want. Just PM me your e-mail.

Revived
Thanks boatboy24
Deezil and will figure out what we will use asking as we are both on the same page

I like this score sheet
Simple and straight forward?

http://www.valleywineshop.com/support-files/wine-scoring-sheet.pdf

Unless WMT has there own score sheet.
Any thoughts?

Nice scoreing sheet. Only problem I saw with it is there are 5 categories and the scale is 1-5 but then there is the line that says max score 20. Last I checked 5 times 5 is 25. Wonder if anyone else noticed that. Those are basically the same categories we went with.

Nice scoreing sheet. Only problem I saw with it is there are 5 categories and the scale is 1-5 but then there is the line that says max score 20. Last I checked 5 times 5 is 25. Wonder if anyone else noticed that. Those are basically the same categories we went with.

I noticed that today. I assume a typeo minor complications, nothing that can't be corrected.

I have some port to enter if I may.

GreginND
PM dangerdave but I don't see it being a problem as long as you can submit your entry to Deezil and myself by the end of the month.

Hi,

Just to clarify....we are to bottle TWO samples and send one sample each to the two judges at their separate locations....correct?

I'm hoping the weather cools here because I can't ship when temps are so high.

Thanks

Yes, 4score. One sample to each judge. Everyone please remember to mark your bottles with your forum name (and a label if you so desire), so the judges can tell who's is which.

Greg, you are added to the list. I will PM the addresses to you.

Just remember, all, this is supposed to be fun! I know port wine makers are a more "serious" group, but this is more about discussing port, making better port, and having your handywork compared (on a casual basis) with others from our own forum. We have completed two of these unofficial contests, with two currently ongoing, and both of my wines were epic fails. Literally, both wines I have sent in were the worst two wines I have ever made. I got a last place, and an honorable mention (yes, the judges were generous!).

Thankfully, I have gotten good feedback on my Dragon Port---which I am entering here. The recipe is also available on this forum, so---unlike the rest of you---all of you know exactly what I'm sending in. I don't care if I place, win, or lose badly. Actually, I hope I lose badly. That way, I can learn to make better port from the winners! And I do want to make better port.

Are you guys following me? Let's enjoy it for what it is. :try

I have received three entries from Joeswine today
Coffee port 2010 tweaked kit
Caramel port 2010 tweaked kit
Peach port 2009

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back