WMT (Unofficial) Dragon Blood Variant Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
We are at it again! Join if you dare! The "reward" (or punishment?) for placing (1st or 2nd) in this contest will be to judge our next competition. That means some free wine!

Here are the comprehensive rules:

1) Use Dragon Blood Recipe as your base;
2) Must contain at least 2oz per gallon of some citrus juice in primary (concentrate or otherwise);
3) Must contain fruit (any kind) in the primary (method of your choice), no less than one pound per gallon;
4) Anything else goes.

Our judges will be the winners of the WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition, our own chasemandingo and jojabri (Gina).

This go around, we will be working with a shorter timeframe to reflect the wine makers ability to use this recipe to make a great "early drinker". Entry wines must be created and completed by the end of August 2014. Our goal is to get them shipped to our judges in early September so they can use the Labor Day weekend as a platform for their judging events.

Respond to this thread as an (unofficial) affirmation of your entry, and I will add you to the list:

dangerdave
calvin
Rodnboro
GreginND
Elmer
drumlinridgewinery
otistechdir
jensmith
cheesehead
fabrictodyefor

Last edited:
I got mine mixed up last night, and pitched the yeast this morning! Sticking to my method of unnecessary foolishness, I am not making the original DB. At my wife's request, I'm making my Sweet Strawberry Tart, one of her favorates...that I haven't made in several years. Sure, it would be easy to just whip up a batch of awesome original, but that would also be easy. Mama aways said I do things the hard way. Here's my label...

Sweet_Strawberry_Tart-1.jpg

Count me in! I'm thinking about starting a couple separate experiment batches and entering the best one. Good luck everyone!

I'm in. This is going to require some thought for a unique Dragon Blood to top Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

You better bring it, Rod. I've got my game on!...and you're on the list!

The great thing about this contest is that we have three whole months. Even if I made them one after the other, I could still produce five or six batches before the end of August. If the SST comes out great then I'm set, and if not, I'll whip up an original that will blow Gina's flip flops off! I could make this stuff with my eyes closed!

:h

Last edited:
You better bring it, Rod. I've got my game on!...and you're on the list!

The great thing about this contest is that we have three whole months. Even if I made them one after the other, I could still produce five or six batches before the end of August. If the SST comes out great then I'm set, and if not, I'll whip up an original that will blow Gina's socks off! I could make this stuff with my eyes closed!

:h

I'm a flip flop wearer in the summer. Lolz.

I'm busy working out a party plan, who to invite, how to hostess the event, etc. When we have a party, we go big or go home... I'm thinking BIG! DJ, maybe some karaoke, photo booth, and barbecue to round out the evening.

The folks I'm thinking of inviting have all responded well to my DB variants, and really know little else about wines and tastings, so it should be super fair. They know their DB by now.

<above post edited to reflect Gina's footware preference>

Hey, that sounds like loads of fun! You're only three and a half hours from me. I could seriously crash that party!

But really, glad to hear you have a group weaned on DB(s). They should do an excellent job. And a tough job it will be with all the excellent wine makers we have here.

Well, u could crash Dave. Its not that far TBH. In all fairness, I have far more frequent opportunities to raid your DB stash as we go to the Cincy area rather frequently for weddings and such.

Beware.. .. muhahahaha

Count me in.....

now I just have to remember to leave 1 bottle from the batch!

So far it sounds like I'm guaranteed to place at least 5th! Not bad for my first entry into a wine making competition.

contest

We are at it again! Join if you dare! The "reward" (or punishment?) for placing (1st or 2nd) in this contest will be to judge our next competition. That means some free wine!

Here are the comprehensive rules:

1) Use Dragon Blood Recipe as your base;
2) Must contain at least 2oz per gallon of some citrus juice in primary (concentrate or otherwise);
3) Must contain fruit (any kind) in the primary (method of your choice), no less than one pound per gallon;
4) Anything else goes.

Our judges will be the winners of the WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition, our own chasemandingo and jojabri (Gina).

This go around, we will be working with a shorter timeframe to reflect the wine makers ability to use this recipe to make a great "early drinker". Entry wines must be created and completed by the end of August 2014. Our goal is to get them shipped to our judges in early September so they can use the Labor Day weekend as a platform for their judging events.

Respond to this thread as an (unofficial) affirmation of your entry, and I will add you to the list:

dangerdave
calvin
Rodnboro
GreginND
Elmer
Cheesehead

You're on the list, cheesy! Where's the rest of our intrepid DB makers? I know we've got more than this! I'll have to round them up.

If we could just figure a way around those pesky border guards... Canada is with you in spirit!

I want in. Just started 2 batches last weekend. Just let me know where to send the winning bottle.

Jeremy

I'm thinking about making a 3 gallon batch of the original and then separate it into gallons and back sweetening with different flavors. I have one flavor in mind that I don't think has been done before.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I want in. Just started 2 batches last weekend. Just let me know where to send the winning bottle.

Jeremy

Ok, Jeremy, you are in.

As Gina said, I need the judges to PM their addresses to me. I will give these out only to our participating members near the end of the contest period---the end of August.

At that time, you will be shipping your wines to them (one 750ml bottle each). Please, in case I forget later, make sure to mark your bottles with your forum name so they can tell who's is which at tasting time.

Almost wish I didn't have to judge this one as I have a really good recipe I'm wanting to try. However, the girlfriend insisted that I accept the honor of judging this esteemed event lol. I guess I will just have to send a bottle down to Danger and see what he thinks. After the competition of coarse!

Almost wish I didn't have to judge this one as I have a really good recipe I'm wanting to try. However, the girlfriend insisted that I accept the honor of judging this esteemed event lol. I guess I will just have to send a bottle down to Danger and see what he thinks. After the competition of coarse!

I saw that^^^^^^^^^:br

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back