Who has pruned their vines already?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveTheWine

Reaction score
I was able to get to mine about one week ago. Only the second yr of growth coming up so it was pretty easy.

Did our 40 vines on Monday and tuesday. They are on there 3rd year, hoping for a crop this year

Around here 80% of the grapes are pruned shortly after harvest.if they didn't do that there is no way they could get them all done in the spring. The better vanifera they hold off on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wine Making mobile app

I'm still dealing with downed trees! No time for the orchard/vineyard.

As the snow starts melting away, my thoughts are turning to my vines (hybrids).

These are second year vines. It was a long cold winter with little snow cover so I suspect a lot of the first year's growth from last year is not viable. I plan to prune them all down to a couple of buds near the base and grow proper trunks this year.

As I understand it there is no advantage to trying to grow from buds higher up on last year's canes as the shoots will quickly surpass last year's growth.

I think end of March when everything gets melted well I'll begin pruning in earnest.

I pruned most of my muscadine vines three or four days ago. I was concerned that they wouldn't live through the severe winter we had. I did find some dead wood and cut it back to where I saw green in the cutting and stump.

My lower fruiting wire is around 36 inches for varieties on VSP. The snow this AM is within 6 inches of the wire so I think it will be a while until I prune.

My lower fruiting wire is around 36 inches for varieties on VSP. The snow this AM is within 6 inches of the wire so I think it will be a while until I prune.

How low should the snow get before thinking about pruning?

That depends on where you are and what the temperatures are along with how long it will take to prune. I will be starting to prune in two to three weeks, I hope............

I just pay attention to the weather. If i see itl be over 50° for the next two weeks or there about, i get my butt out and prune. Otherwise I try to delay due to late frosts. I strongly dislike this time of year!

Here is a question... What pruning method do you use and any suggestions for what I should do.. Spur pruning or cane pruning? I am growing Cayuga, Cab Franc and Lemburger, I planted one year plants in 2012 so this will be 3rd year.
Any suggestions? Methods used?

I pruned last full moon in Feb.
Cane vs Spur, depends on where you live and the disease pressure. High pressure go cane, no pressure go spur cause its easier. No difference in quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I pruned last full moon in Feb.
Cane vs Spur, depends on where you live and the disease pressure. High pressure go cane, no pressure go spur cause its easier. No difference in quality.

You are Located in Switzerland??
What kind of grapes do you grow?

Here is a question... What pruning method do you use and any suggestions for what I should do.. Spur pruning or cane pruning? I am growing Cayuga, Cab Franc and Lemburger, I planted one year plants in 2012 so this will be 3rd year.
Any suggestions? Methods used?

The Cayuga is a very vigorous grower. High Wire (Top Wire) might be appropriate for that one. It does grow upright for a while but will flop down after a bit. Probably cane pruned is more appropriate for it, but if it winters well each year you could go with spur pruned cordon.

Cab Frank and Lemberger will both work fine for Vertical Shoot Positioned systems.

Did our 40 vines on Monday and tuesday. They are on there 3rd year, hoping for a crop this year

How much time does 40 vines take out of your schedule? Would 100
Vines be hard to take care of.

I only have a few muscadines and the darn things already have buds and leaves coming out for about a week now. I didn't get a chance to prune them because I was waiting on the weather to warm up.
How horrible would it be to cut them back anyway?

Go ahead and carefully prune them. They will bleed some, but normally do some anyways.

That's what I was thinking. The growth is still young enough.
I'll buy some bandaids and get after them.
Ty for the fast advice.

I think my ship sailed on pruning. I swear, these were nubs on Saturday. Now I have loads of baby muscats. (at least thats what i think they are). We bought this house a couple of years ago so I don't know for sure but they are all over peoples fences in the area. When they were ripe, they were about the size of a dime and in small clusters of no more than 10 or so. They were really tart and IMO didn't make much of a wine so I'm not going to stress over the plants.

I trimmed a little today, but they are so well under way and producing, I didn't want to chance stunting them.

Taken today:

6DE3C8D3-8F78-4514-B325-372CFFA03247.jpg

AD348B02-12AE-4A92-B57E-2A4AB08C8C92.jpg

8E65098A-0501-4DA8-98DB-6205081AF76F.jpg

Since it was 6 degrees this morning, I'm still a bit away from pruning.

BUT, since we're on the subject . . . Favorite pruners anyone?

I am going to buy some but am torn between the Felco #7 and #8.

Latest posts

Back