soapy taste after filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinoman1

Junior
Reaction score
I just got done finishing a Winexpert Chocolate Raspberry Port kit , I took a sample before I racked off to bottle, it tasted great, good and clear, ready to go. I screwed up, got the racking cane to close to the settlement ( really dark hard to see end of racking cane). Had everything set up to bottle, so I decided just to filter it instead of putting it back into a carboy to let it settle out. BIG MISTAKE, after filtering the port it had a odd taste like soap. I have a Bron vino minijet system I ran sanstar through the filter pump and hose, presoak the filters in a dry white wine, and sanitized the racking bucket it was filtered to. Any ideas on what caused this soapy taste? I’m besides myself, paid $110 for this kit, tasted very good now taste like soap.Thanks

I use the mini jet and have never had it impart a flavor to finished wine.
Never used starsan but usually run 8L or so of water through the pads first and then filter.
Sounds like either the presoak wine or starsan may have imparted this flavor.

Maybe after a bit of aging the taste will go away?

:pThanks for your input Aaron, I always use sanstar for my other sanitizing needs and never had a problem so I'm ruling out that. I never ran straight water through the filters first, I'll give it a try next time. I'm hoping the taste will fade with ageing also, its close to being drinkable so it will not go to waste

:pThanks for your input Aaron, I always use sanstar for my other sanitizing needs and never had a problem so I'm ruling out that. I never ran straight water through the filters first, I'll give it a try next time. I'm hoping the taste will fade with ageing also, its close to being drinkable so it will not go to waste

I think the actual directions direct you to soak them in clean water for a bit before use but I just run the water right through the pads and have never had a problem that way.

BTW I only ever use the #2 pads

The pads themself cannot change the taste, they are inert. Whatever you put into those pads can affect the taste if you don't get rid of it before filtering. I use only sulfited water and run it until only a fer spits of liquid come out before filtering, don't get any tastes that way.

I also vacuum through the filter instead of push the wine into it, but I doubt that that could be any reason for tastes.

My palate is extremely sensitive to the "paper" taste of buon vino filter pads. I can soak them in water, flush them with gallons of citric/meta solution, and I still taste the cellulose in my wine even when others cannot. In a blind tasting I rarely fail to pick out the wines that have been filtered with a buon vino filter.

Well, there's really only a couple of faults that produce soapy taste--either high PH or unresolved slight H2S problems. Sometimes you can have H2S problems that are undetectable by aroma.

soapy taste and smell after filtering with a buno mini jet

same thing just happened to me and it is the filter,

I have a million dolor contract to present tomorrow and wanted to do a final filter of my wine before I presented it.

I filterd it out with the buon vino mini jet and after it tasted and smelled like soap.

. I tried it again with another wine and as soon as I took the filters out of the sealed package and soaked them I instantly could smell the soapy smell even before I filterd, so I ran a bunch of water threw the filter first then the wine, and still , soapy taste and smell . does anyone know how to get the taste out. ?
I will never take the chance and filter with a buon vino filter again.

soapy smell and taste

I work part time for a winery and one of the first things I have learned is constant smelling and tasting. Seems all brands of paper filters have a paper taste until they are completely rinsed. So we run water through everything and continually taste until the water from the filters tastes no different than the tap water. Sometimes this takes a long time.

I have been using the mini jet at home for almost two years. Today I followed the instructions and did my tasting with the #1 pads. All went well. Filtered two carboys of wine. No problems. Everything taste tested good beginning to end.

Then rinsed everything out, soaked the #2 pads and put everything together. It smelled nasty and tasted nasty. So I ran more water through. I didn't put my wine in, just tasting the water. It didn't improve, so I pulled it apart and tossed those and put in a new set. Same results. This time I completely disassembled everything, rinsed, sanitized and put it back together and put my third and final set of #2 pads in. Same result. Smells bad and tastes bad.

After that I took the pads out and let them drip dry. Then put them in a solution of citric acid and potassium metabisulphite solution. Let them sit for about a minute. Then started running water through them again and right back to the same odor and taste.

I called another winery that sells the supplies and they have never had a complaint like this before.

Dish soap taste

I wish I would have know this...Ifeel like I ruined 5gal of Old Vine Zin I was making for a class....

I filtered with the 'rough' Buon Vino pads and everything was great. Then went to the polishing pad and everything went bad! Soapy taste and I couldn't figure it out until now....Buon Vino has/had tainted pads. Now that I see others having this same problem I cannot think of another reason than defective/contaminated pads from the company.

If you guys are still following this thread let me know if your wine got better with time or if you found a fix.

Reviving an old thread here as I also had this problem recently filtering some whites. I too was using SuperJet #2 pads which I had purchased several years ago. I ran some sulfite solution then about 6 gallons of fresh water through the filter. When I sampled the water it tasted like it had gone through a Bounce fabric softener sheet! I flushed another 6 gallons of fresh water through the filters and the taste had dissipated but never disappeared. I decided to run the wine through anyway but it was definitely worse for it. Has anyone had recent experience with the #2 pads? Was there a bad batch of them or do they all make the wine taste like soap?

Agreed. It is definitely a similar smell to Bounce sheets. I just ruined a very nice pinot noir rose'. I bought my super jet 2nd hand with a set of #2 pads included. I thought that the previous owner might have stored the pads in close proximity to their laundry supplies. But, after reading this thread it's clear that these things are coming from the manufacturer tainted. I am considering buying some #3 pads, running A LOT of water through them, and passing the wine through again. But I'm not very optimistic, it is a shockingly strong smell. The plastic wrapping that the pads came in smelled fine. It is as if the offending chemical is activated by moisture.

Update: I had another set that had nothing but water run through them and they also tasted like a dryer sheet. It appears it doesn't matter whether sulfite is run through them or not.

Did you try adding citric acid to the water you soaked them in? Manual said to do that to neutralize the pad...but possibly? Soap is base, so maybe try that? I've never noticed anything with mine but does concern me...

I realize this is an old(er thread, but I've just had the same experience with the Buon Vino #2 Mini Jet filters. I'm a home brewer and had 2 carboys of wine to filter.

The first batch of wine, I soaked the pads in citric acid, rinsed them with water, flushed the mini jet with several litres of water through the filters and bottled the wine. What I got was soap/dryer sheet infused Cab Sauvignon. The wine had been perfect prior to filtering. I thought perhaps this was bottle shock, so I went on to the next batch.

With the second batch, I did basically the same procedure with the exception of the citric acid; this time I soaked new pads in water only. Before loading the pads onto the mini jet, I tasted the pads (yeah, get that visual?!). It is definitely the pads that taste like a Bounce sheet.

I am awaiting a response from the filter manufacturer, Scott Labs (the filter actually has "Manufactured in Germany" stamped on it). These are original Buon Vino Mini Jet filters; I have never had an issue until the last few purchases of filters (all #2).

The supplier wants to know this has happened.
We have had a similar defect in instant rice. When the problem was tracked down, it was the distribution warehouse was keeping our food next to a slot that had Irish Spring soap. Drier sheets have an equally aggressive perfume.
I realize this is an old(er thread, but I've just had the same experience with the Buon Vino #2 Mini Jet filters. I'm a home brewer and had 2 carboys of wine to filter.

The first batch of wine, I soaked the pads in citric acid, rinsed them with water, flushed the mini jet with several litres of water through the filters and bottled the wine. What I got was soap/dryer sheet infused Cab Sauvignon. The wine had been perfect prior to filtering. I thought perhaps this was bottle shock, so I went on to the next batch.

With the second batch, I did basically the same procedure with the exception of the citric acid; this time I soaked new pads in water only. Before loading the pads onto the mini jet, I tasted the pads (yeah, get that visual?!). It is definitely the pads that taste like a Bounce sheet.

I am awaiting a response from the filter manufacturer, Scott Labs (the filter actually has "Manufactured in Germany" stamped on it). These are original Buon Vino Mini Jet filters; I have never had an issue until the last few purchases of filters (all #2).
Try ordering pads from a different part of the country/supply chain.

Latest posts

Back