Apple Pie Moonshine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D.J., I will check it out. Not trying to be difficult here but I used store bought apple cider and it is very cloudy. If you don't mind your finished product being cloudy then I agree you do not have to rack. But if you want it clear (golden clear) where does the sediment go if not to the bottom?

Interesting, I used store bought and it was crystal clear. I wonder if your store bought was more of an "authentic" cider where mine was more processed. I can see your point if using the cloudier cider to start with, it would need cleared. My stuff was crystal clear the minute I Mason jarred it.

Interesting, I used store bought and it was crystal clear. I wonder if your store bought was more of an "authentic" cider where mine was more processed. I can see your point if using the cloudier cider to start with, it would need cleared. My stuff was crystal clear the minute I Mason jarred it.

Jack Keller goes into this some on his blog. Some companies sell apple juice under the lable apple cider. He says if the pulp and sediment have been filtered out to make it clear then essentially what you have is apple juice regardless of what they call it. This is the first I have made so I am certainly no expert but he says to get the best taste you really need a true apple cider with the pulp still in it.

He was having trouble finding a clear apple cider when he called Martinelli and they told him what I have repeated above. Seems a little disingenuous on their part to call it cider when it is not.

I just bought some everclear...Have to go to houston for a few days.
when i get back i am making some...i am going to toss in some bing cherries.
see what that does to it.
I love canadian club aged in cherry cask.

It really is awesome peach is real good also. I have a quart of peach in the refrigerator in my shed that I have been hoarding. Lol

Peach juice added to taste to the shine or ever clear no spices. On the apple one I added Carmel syrup to a few bottles. Made for a nice addition.

Can Demerar Florida Crystals be used to make this?

It seems to be a fairly new product. I used it in my hard cider last week and it fermented just fine. I'm going to make the Jack Keller recipe using the Demerara sugar. It's almost between a white and a brown sugar so I'm a little torn as to which sugar I will substitute it for. I'll probably use it in place of the white.

It is a type of raw sugar.

I have never had it so I am not sure what kind of flavor it would have. I would say if you like the flavor then it would work. There is no fermentation involved in this recipe so any sweetener you like would probably work. I followed Jack Keller's recipe exactly but next time I would probably use a little less sugar and cinnamon. That is a personal preference thing but my first try at this is very sweet.

I mat try this.

I was wondering is there any chance ot it starting to ferment on its own while waiting for it to clear?

RR

I mat try this.

I was wondering is there any chance ot it starting to ferment on its own while waiting for it to clear?

RR

I guess it could depend on how much Everclear (or other alcohol) you add. The formula I used puts the abv at 20%, no way a fermentation will occur at that level.

I guess it could depend on how much Everclear (or other alcohol) you add. The formula I used puts the abv at 20%, no way a fermentation will occur at that level.

If you read the pdf of Jack keller's recipe posted above it says to let the apple juice/cider mixture sit for a couple weeks to clear then to add the grain alcohol.

I was just thinking (over thinking again) that it might start to ferment while clearing.

RR

I left my batch sit for 3 weeks and I didn't have any problems with fermentation start up. I am starting another batch of this while I'm typing this

If you read the pdf of Jack keller's recipe posted above it says to let the apple juice/cider mixture sit for a couple weeks to clear then to add the grain alcohol.

I was just thinking (over thinking again) that it might start to ferment while clearing.

RR

You are correct RR, I had forgotten I did not add the Everclear immediately. I had no problem with fermentation trying to start up.

Back