Sanitizing and Sterilizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennK

Reaction score
I couldn't find any other threads on this topic(in my search) so here goes.

Every time I begin my cleaning process to start a new batch I ask myself the same questions.

1. Sterilize with Chlori-clean - how long do I soak and how long is it good for?

2. Sanitize with Aseptox - how long do I soak and how long is it good for?

GlennK, I am not familiar with either of the two products that you cite. I clean with OxyClean and rinse well with hot water. I sanitize with a solution of K-meta or Na-meta (which I bought by mistake) and water (3 tablespoons of K-meta or Na-meta to 1 gallon of water). I keep the sanitizing solution in a gallon jug and as long as it is tightly capped, it lasts as long as I need it (about 2 to 3 months).

I feel so much better since I have given up hope.

Rocky
Rocky, the key to success is low expectations:)

Don't use cleaners or sanitizers that have chlorine in them. It can do bad things and most commercial winerys never have chlorine based cleaners around. In fact, they don't even want clorinated water used. That's what I learned from my winemaking class at a local community college.

I use one step and never had an issue.
I keep a spray bottle filled with it and squirt stuff down as needed!

seems to work without an issue!

:slp

Glen,

If chloro-clean contains chlorine, I would think twice about using it. Chlorine and wine do not mix.
It's a sanitizing detergent put out by Vintners. Spagnols and others carry it. aka “Diversol” or “Sani-Brew”

I use one step to clean everything. High use items like spoons, hydrometer, test jar, and wine thief get a spritz of k-meta solution before every use and washed immediately after.

I use one step and never had an issue.
I keep a spray bottle filled with it and squirt stuff down as needed!

seems to work without an issue!

:slp

But it tastes like soap. I never use one-step without the second step of rinsing.

But it tastes like soap. I never use one-step without the second step of rinsing.

1 tbsp per gallon.
Swish everything around and soak.
Let air dry
never had a soap taste!

I can understand if there was residual one step sitting in the container when I bottled, but the same could happen with an abundance of K-meta.

From my wine supplier

I use only the diversol. 100 PPM (1 tablespoon per 23 L) for sterilizing/sanitizing and
2 Tablespoon per gallon (about 5) in a carboy. I only use the aseptox if for some reason
I would run out of diversol.

After cleaning carboys with 2 table spoons/gal. my carboys always get washed out with
water then sterilized again with the very light solution.

From my wine supplier

I use only the diversol. 100 PPM (1 tablespoon per 23 L) for sterilizing/sanitizing and
2 Tablespoon per gallon (about 5) in a carboy. I only use the aseptox if for some reason
I would run out of diversol.

After cleaning carboys with 2 table spoons/gal. my carboys always get washed out with
water then sterilized again with the very light solution.

Just as a note, there is a big difference between sanitizing and sterilizing. In home wine making, the goal is to sanitize. Even if one does use a sterilizing agent, it is highly unlikely the object will truly become/stay sterilized.

Just as a note, there is a big difference between sanitizing and sterilizing. In home wine making, the goal is to sanitize. Even if one does use a sterilizing agent, it is highly unlikely the object will truly become/stay sterilized.

Actually, they're both somewhat related and depending what exposure the surface in question was compromised with depends on what you'd use....

Actually, they're both somewhat related and depending what exposure the surface in question was compromised with depends on what you'd use....

Your attempt at sterilizing is not going to be much better than your simply doing a good job at sanitizing.
You are still not going to end up with anything other than a well sanitized surface unless you believe you can provide a operating room environment in your home wine making area. If you can't, it is not sterilized.

My only point is to not get sterilizing confused with sanitizing.

1 tbsp per gallon.
Swish everything around and soak.
Let air dry
never had a soap taste!

I can understand if there was residual one step sitting in the container when I bottled, but the same could happen with an abundance of K-meta.

Take a swig of that gallon and tell me that it doesn't have a soap taste.

No amount of sanitizing will help you if you fail to clean first. We clean & sanitize in homewinemaking. Sterilizing is unnecessary and is not common in winemaking, and unless you have the ability to sterilize your goods and have a concept of maintaining a sterile field it is useless.

I couldn't find any other threads on this topic(in my search) so here goes.

Every time I begin my cleaning process to start a new batch I ask myself the same questions.

1. Sterilize with Chlori-clean - how long do I soak and how long is it good for?

2. Sanitize with Aseptox - how long do I soak and how long is it good for?

Glenn
1. chloriclean is generally used as a cleaner but can be used as a sanitizer if you leave it in contact for 20-30 min. It must be well rinsed after use. I don't think it' effectiveness lasts too long. I prefer to use Ecolox as a cleaner since it is non toxic and environmentally friendly to my septic tank. It also has to be rinsed.
2. Aseptox is a cleaner/sanitizer (also known as one step) and needs about 20 seconds or so to be effective as a sanitizer. I think it can remain effective for a few days and I believe it is no rinse. I prefer to use OxySan as a sanitizer since again it is nontoxic, no rinse and safe for my septic tank. It does not hold retain it's effectiveness for more than a few hours. For bottling I generally use a sulphite solution for sanitizing.

Glenn
1. chloriclean is generally used as a cleaner but can be used as a sanitizer if you leave it in contact for 20-30 min. It must be well rinsed after use. I don't think it' effectiveness lasts too long. I prefer to use Ecolox as a cleaner since it is non toxic and environmentally friendly to my septic tank. It also has to be rinsed.
2. Aseptox is a cleaner/sanitizer (also known as one step) and needs about 20 seconds or so to be effective as a sanitizer. I think it can remain effective for a few days and I believe it is no rinse. I prefer to use OxySan as a sanitizer since again it is nontoxic, no rinse and safe for my septic tank. It does not hold retain it's effectiveness for more than a few hours. For bottling I generally use a sulphite solution for sanitizing.

Interesting.....I use Aseptox more so on my bottles( I always rinse my bottles after use and turn them upside down) just before bottling and let them drip dry and just before any carboy usage(after chloriclean + rinse)

My local wine distributor/brewer says that he uses Diversol(and rinse with water) only for cleaning and sanitizing all his equipment . Anyone else do the same?

My local wine distributor/brewer says that he uses Diversol(and rinse with water) only for cleaning and sanitizing all his equipment . Anyone else do the same?

If you rinse with water after sanitizing haven't you risk contamination?

For last 2 years I have been using star san.
No rinse,
Don't fear the foam!!!!!

Latest posts

Back