Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > Food, Pairing & Craft Foods > Fermenting Foods

Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
RegionRat

Nov 2012
Liked 150 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjd View Post
RegionRat, Now you have done it! I went to the local grocery this morning and came home with several heads of cabbage and a box of Kosher salt, Then I hit the local flea market where the nice Mexican produce seller had pint baskets of Habanero and Ghost peppers for a buck each and large red bell peppers for 50 cents each. I now have a batch of kraut fermenting and a half gallon of pepper sauce fermenting!
Thanks for the link! I really enjoyed reading the site and will be ordering the book.
I could not find any small cucumbers to make the pickles but I will be in the future.
Happy Fermenting!

After you read the book get back to us and tell us what you think. I think this is going to open a new chapter in your life.

I grow most of the things I ferment. After it ferments out I can. But there is nothing like fresh out of the fermenter. The pepper sauce I make ferments the I age it like wine for 6 to 8 months. Then I blend it with vinegar. The best ever! Here is a link to something along the way I do it. Pepper sauce

Here is a batch of pickles I just started.Attachment 6736

RR
pickles.jpg  

Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
reefman

Feb 2010
Liked 145 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 249

I love the big kosher pickles you get at the really good deli's, They are usually in a big jar sitting on top of the lunchmeat counter.
Is there a recipe for them out there somewhere?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
RegionRat

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefman View Post
I love the big kosher pickles you get at the really good deli's, They are usually in a big jar sitting on top of the lunchmeat counter.
Is there a recipe for them out there somewhere?
Sure thing. Here is the above recipe

I use a 4.5% brine. 1 liter water 45gr salt. During the summer I use fresh dill. This time of year I use a combination of dill seed and dried dill. I also put in LOTS of fresh garlic.

Hope that helps.

RR

Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
Julie
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Dec 2009
Liked 1604 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 2909

I use to make sauerkraut with my Mom but haven't made any in years. You guys got me thinking about making a gallon batch and sure enough I go to my local grocery store and they have cabbage on sale. So here I go!

Here is what I have done!

rezod11 Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
reefman

Feb 2010
Liked 145 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 249

I put together my grocery list, and I'm going to start a batch of pickles this weekend,
Thanks for the Link RegionRat.
Once I find a crock pot, I'm doing the Saurerkraut too!
Julie
My candy cane wine is down to 1.010 so it's getting racked this weekend.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
rezod11

Oct 2012
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I love my crock, but recently found a 2 gallon food grade plastic bucket at Lowe's for about $4 with the lid. The crock is wonderful, but not entirely necessary...especially at today's prices.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
rezod11

Oct 2012

Julie, thanks for transferring to this thread!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
Julie
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Dec 2009
Liked 1604 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 2909

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefman View Post
I put together my grocery list, and I'm going to start a batch of pickles this weekend,
Thanks for the Link RegionRat.
Once I find a crock pot, I'm doing the Saurerkraut too!
Julie
My candy cane wine is down to 1.010 so it's getting racked this weekend.
I finally got mine bottled and will label it tomorrow, now I just got to fine some boxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezod11 View Post
Julie, thanks for transferring to this thread!
No problem, I think this is going to be an awesome thread!

Here is what I have done!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
RegionRat

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
No problem, I think this is going to be an awesome thread!
R u stealing my thunder? Just kidding.... Thanks again for starting a new thread!

I absolutely love fermented foods. As a kid in the early 60's my emigrant grandparents had a summer place in Michigan. There was a huge vegetable garden, fruit trees, bushes, and plants etc.... Everything was; dried, canned, salted, smoked or fermented. It was what was done back then. They knew how to make the harvest last all year.

In the last 10 years or so I have tried to recreate all the things I remember a kid. It is such a pleasure to find people on this forum that share the same interest.

RR

Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #20
rezod11

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionRat View Post
R u stealing my thunder? Just kidding....

I absolutely love fermented foods. As a kid in the early 60's my emigrant grandparents had a summer place in Michigan. There was a huge vegetable garden, fruit trees, bushes, and plants etc.... Everything was; dried, canned, salted, smoked or fermented. It was what was done back then. They knew how to make the harvest last all year.

In the last 10 years or so I have tried to recreate all the things I remember a kid. It is such a pleasure to find people on this forum that share the same interest.

RR

What's old is new again. It's high time we get back to the way things should be. I often wonder what food tasted like 50, 60, 70 or 100 years ago compared to the way things are today. I have a feeling that it had a lot more flavor, just based on eating foods while they are in season vs. not in season.

I never had the chance to see these things as a kid, but am trying to offer them to my niece and nephew...though they much prefer to go to any fast food restaurant instead of eating Auntie's "weird" food...lol.