pine wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakes4moose

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone made a wine with pine needles? I am thinking of trying this weekend. Have not decided yet on how many needles per gallon. Any recomendations.

Thanks

Cody

I've heard through family stories, of native americans using the needles to make a pine needle tea.. Good for a sore throat and sinus infection.. Lots of Vit C & Vit A.. I'd think you'd have to make the tea first, then attempt the wine

Pine needles make a good tea. Kinda wintergreen flavor. Was thinking a wine with a similar flavor to tanguery (sp). Not the sap (turpentine). The sap is better used as a primitive glue (with charcoal and fine grasses added).

Pine Needle wine

I have just tried my first Pine needle wine and it was awesome! She didn't tell me what it was first. I tried it and thought it was mead. I make a pine needle syrup every spring from the new growth of the pine. I use this for coughs and colds. Pine needles are very high in vitamin C. I drink pine tea also and it's great in the winter. I use the pine sap mixed with bees wax, coconut oil and essential oils for a beard wax. It makes great incense.

I am so ready to make my own now.

I found this recipe on google but when I tried to find it again to post the link, I couldn't find it anymore. But I did print it. So I'll type i out for you.

1 1/2 pind pine needles
2 1/2 pounds sugar
1 lemon zest and juice
1 orange zest and juice
2 tablespoons cold black tea
1 tsp yeast nutrient
gallon of water
wine yeast. I am planning to use a champagne yeast then sweeten it back up to where i want it with a simple syrup after it's all done.

Bring the needle to a boil then let them steep for a few days. Strain it and re-heat the liquid and dissolve the sugar in it. Add the tea and zest and juices. When it cools, starin it and add it to a demijohn and add the yeast and nutrient and let it go.

I haven't tried this yet because I've already got my equipment going with mulberry wine but I am excited to try it. Most people have never thought to try pine needles for medicinal use or just about any other use, but they are safe to consume and are good for you. The sap is used for turpentine and cleaners, not the needles.

Personally i would not try it. I love pine and use the natural rosin in my soaps and incense but i can picture it being overwhelming or too strong and be bad for you.

Maybe aging it with pine wood would be a better option but still not something i would want to try.
You might even consider some pine essential oils. Just food for thought.
Good Luck

I would absolutely try this.

Pine tea made with the right kind of pine needles has a really nice flavor.
If I had a pine tree near me, I would already have a batch in secondary. Living here though, it's just too dry and hot and they don't really do that well.

I live in the US north east in the foot hills of the Adirondack mountains. Suffice it to say we have a super abundance of pine and in great variety.
I would be willing to try a small batch as a test.
Does anyone have an idea as to the choice variety of pine to use? Perhaps a reliable recipe that is optimal? Best yeast and starting specific gravity?

Google retsina, pine flavored wine is not new. The Greek were doing it hundreds of years ago.

I am using the app so I did not see the recipe further up above. I'm willing to give it a go.
I'm trying not to pre-judge the taste or flavor mind you, but it seems that if done correctly the end result would be something like a juniper berry flavored gin. Anyone who has made this have any tasting notes?

Latest posts

Back