WineXpert Sick of KT bad reviews on winexpert

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy8998

Reaction score
Hello all

I for one think winexpert red kits can make some excellent wines.

If your like me and sick of reading threads about kit taste and winexpert red kits being poor. Join me by bigging them up and give me a review of a winexpert red you have made with good results.

Happy brewing

Billy

Kit Taste (as far as I can tell) is one of those personal things. Some people can taste it and others can't. Is it present in Winexpert kits more than other brands? I don't know, cause I'm one of the ones that apparently can't taste it.

I haven't made a lot of WE kits, not because of KT, but because of availability. Vineco and RJ Spagnols kits have been more readily available to me over the years (especially 2002 to 2008).

I made the Selection LE NZ Merlot in 2009 and we love it. However, we haven't much wine from anywhere lately, so haven't done any more WE kits.

Steve

That's the spirit Steve, more reviews please on winexpert red. ( I don't work for them by the way ) they are simply the easiest to get in the UK so I am keen to know which reds worked for you as most threads disregard them as KT!!

I think one of the attributes of the WE kits is they need longer to age in the bottle. Most of the negative editorial comments usually relate to when those wines are consumed. I noticed that several of the winners in fairs or contests this year were WE kits and some were the VR series, but they were also Pinot 2009 or Cab 2008.

I have made 7 WE kit since Nov 2011, my first 5 kits ever were WE. The WV Cal. Pinot is all but gone, The Lodi OVZ is going to be great, but not yet, the VR Cad/Sauv is still not ready but it will be OK. The ES Du Roi is very drinkable if it breaths for 2-3 hours, as is the VR Zin/Cab blend. The WS Zin/Sz blend needs more time. It all boils down to timing.

The Paklab kits I've made are drinkable much sooner, but I don't think they will ever devolope the depth of the WE kits.

That's the spirit Steve, more reviews please on winexpert red. ( I don't work for them by the way ) they are simply the easiest to get in the UK so I am keen to know which reds worked for you as most threads disregard them as KT!!

Oh, I don't think most threads disregard them as KT.

Let's talk reds.
Every home kit wine maker, after they have made a few kits, will tend to have their favorite "brand". That's pretty normal I believe. All very subjective. You have been reading from the ones who don't prefer WE kits, so this thread should bring a lot of WE wine makers out in the open. I suspect there are many.

Kit Taste?
Make a big (BIG!) red kit and make the same varietal from fresh grapes; then let the wines age only, say, 6 to 8 months. After that time, taste each. Other than variations in terroir, will they have the same taste? No, they won't. The kit wine will have a sort of "chemical taste", the wine from fresh grapes will just taste young, tart. The reason is because the kit wine came from grapes that are pasteurized, the other did not.

Mentioning just a few differences, the kit grape juice has to be preserved and prepared such that it will not start fermenting on its own or go into MLF after primary alcohol fermentation completes.

If you let each of these two above made wines age for a couple years and taste each every 3 or 4 months, you will notice the kit wine will have less and less of that "chemical taste" until sometime later, that taste will pretty much subside. In my opinion it takes longer than two years for that taste to subside sufficiently (for my taste).

Some people believe that one brand might have more of this chemical taste than others; it's very subjective. No offense, but don't take it so personally if some believe W.E. kits fall into this "more than others" category. We each have our own opinion and that's perfectly OK.

And that chemical taste, some give it a name - "kit taste". Maybe some can't taste it, but it really is initially present in kit wines... all kit wines.

WineXpert makes some pretty good kits; they wouldn't be winning gold metals if they didn't. I have made a few, myself, and they have turned out good. I am happy with them, but in all honesty, they are not my favorite. However, I believe that now that WE is once again including grape packs in some of their bigger kits, they should turn out much better.

What is really important is that you really enjoy WE kits; that's about all that matters.

Brew whatever you want, and stop worrying about what others say. Like Robie said, if you age it right you won't have an issue with any brand.

WE's Stag's Leap Merlot has had great reception by my friends and family after a year+ in the bottle. The Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sav still isn't there after a year... and I don't think that's unreasonable. Your average Cab Sav takes 5-10 years.

Hello all

I for one think winexpert red kits can make some excellent wines.

If your like me and sick of reading threads about kit taste and winexpert red kits being poor. Join me by bigging them up and give me a review of a winexpert red you have made with good results.

Happy brewing

Billy

Billy, I agree with much of what you say with the exception that I think it applies to all kits, not just WE. For me I only focus on comments from those that made good kits on the assumption bad kit results may say as much about the maker as the kit.

Tony P.

Hi Billy8998 I would venture that you already know this but here I go any way. There is a source I trust over in the UK here is the link. http://www.hobbywinesupplies.co.uk/ This fellow seems to be a stand up guy. Gets good reviews from the people I know on other forums from there. He will not steer you wrong as to flavors and quality. As far as WE reviews go it all depends on what is available what your tastes are ETC. I started out 6 years ago as a RJS dealer and have stayed there. The WE store in our area closed a few years ago. I received a wide set of reviews from their customers that now brew with me. From we can definitely taste a difference in each red compared to what we were used to getting to I know you don't deal with WE but I still prefer their kits. There reviews came from a cross section of brewers that brewed low end to top end. So the series did not seem to matter. All you are seeing when some one posts a review is their opinion and each opinion will be what the person thinks. I believe that it is the actual brewing that makes the biggest difference in the flavor profiles. I do not think any one here is trying to slight WE nor their kits. I have brewed a few of them and they do taste different but the quality is just as good as the other manufactures I have brewed. Just like winery's the vintner that sets the kit determines the flavor profiles the kit will display if it is brewed properly that is the only real difference I believe.

I put this out there on all threads and stand behind it. IMO W.E. kits have the most kit taste up front but like all kits again IMO it goes away, it just takes more time for this particular brand at least with the kits Ive tried. They do make good wines and I do age all my reds gor at least 8 months min before even thinking about opening 1!

I put this out there on all threads and stand behind it. IMO W.E. kits have the most kit taste up front but like all kits again IMO it goes away, it just takes more time for this particular brand at least with the kits Ive tried. They do make good wines and I do age all my reds gor at least 8 months min before even thinking about opening 1!
I totaly agree Wade. I like you wait for my wines I test a bottle at 6 months 10 months 1 year. If not ready I will set the wine in the dark corner and wait untill I find it some time later. This allways gets the best results for me.

First, I am not as sensitive to kt as many folks.
Second, I have done most levels of WE, MM, RJS and CC kits.
Third, I mostly only notice kt in WE kits except in the new WE kits with grape packs.
Lastly, the WE kits with grape pack are excellent early on and no kt to me.

Wow. Some great information on here guys that is much appreciated. Just wanted to clarify; I take no offence or worry about the negatives other people say. I simply wanted to encourage some good reviews and good stories about your experiences with WE red as it seems more controversial than the other ultra premium kits, and you know what. I'm glad I did, some excellent points made by everyone and I'm certainly appreciative for all posts. Thanks and keep the positive stories coming.

I make lots of WE kits, in the Selection International and Selection Estate series. I have made the SI Spanish Rioja for a number of years. I like it; I share it with friends and co-workers, and they like it. One co-worker stated he cannot buy a better one at his liquor store (he might be blowing sunshine up my :i). Recently, I made the new SI Spanish Tempranillo with grapeskins. I won't be making the Rioja any more; the Tempranillo is that good!

I have that same kit in the carboy. It's currently in the polishing / bulk ageing phase and I haven't had a sample. When did you start drinking it?

I have that same kit in the carboy. It's currently in the polishing / bulk ageing phase and I haven't had a sample. When did you start drinking it?
When I bottle wine, I put 2 cases away for aging, and leave the other six bottles for early consumption to observe how it changes with age. This wine was good right out of the carboy, and is getting better. At 6 months, the six extras are already gone!

Last edited:
Red kits with skins will ALWAYS blow the doors off any red without!!!!!

Red kits with skins will ALWAYS blow the doors off any red without!!!!!

Yep, I second that!!

My only disappointment so far is the WE Petit Verdot with skins. I'll let it age for another 6-12 months and see what it becomes.

I have generally good results with WE kits.

Riesling and Okaganian Peach ice-wines were major success among my guests (had to give away as presents almost a third of the total amount I made). LE Pacifica White, I still have about 20 bottles left out of 2 batches, is a hit, I would do it again without questions. LE Primitivo, I am a big fan of this variety and it did not disappoint. It is 1 year old and still a bit young, but already shows great improvements.

I have never done the Estate series, and I don't think I will, it is very overpriced in the UK, does not have skins in reds and I do not that like Californian wines. With Cellar Craft coming to the UK, I do not see what I can do from the Estate series.

I had only 3 disappointments with WE kits: SO Vieux Chateau Du Roi, which I found very difficult to drink (probably I just do not like this blend). LE Shiraz Viognier, it was amazing young but now it tastes too sweet for me. And SI Petit Verdot with skins. Since it has been finished about 8 months ago it is only going downhill. I had 5 split bottles since May one each month. The one last weekend was the worst of them. I hope it will improve, but not sure about it as it was advertised as fast maturing. I heard very good feedback about Nero D'Avola and Tempranillo, so I am planning to do them anyway.

Wookey

Latest posts

Back