Cheap Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John did you get that from the House of Mondavi? I just started reading it last night. Good read so far.

I got this from a number of different books on the history of nappa. On of which is the "house of Mondavi".

If you like that book, you should look into a biagraphy of Gallo. This is an even more interesting read!

What's the name of that book?

I really like this book House of Mondavi. It's very well written. Quite the story already and I just got done with the Peter/Robert lawsuit portion.

I tried a bottle or three of Barefoot CS a couple of years ago. Very rough. For the heck of it, I put a coupla bottles in the rack and forgot about them for a coupla years. Tried one a few weeks and was amazed how much it smoothed out - not bad at all.

Bob, I did the same with some two buck chuck, it was surprisingly good. I think I'll go into the "cellar", and see if I have any left!

Jim

I was at world market yesterday and noticed a brand named Tisdale. It sounded familiar to me as someone who had a big party gave me several bottles of wine afterwards and I believe it was Tisdale.

Anyhow, They had sold out all of Tisdale chard, merlot and only had a few cabs left. It was priced at $4.99. Gonna go back next week.

I am going to have to speak my mind on decent but cheap wine. Brace yourselves, for I am going to mention the "B" wine. Yep, Jack Tone dry red "B"ox wine is about as good as box wine can get, IMO.

It is heavily Zinfandel based, really fruity, and has a nice aroma. We drink a lot of it, rather than break into my own wines, which I don't drink on an every-night basis. (I save my wines for the weekends and special occasions.)

Really, it's as good as most $12 to $16 per bottle Zins.

CK Mondavi is rather good and I agree.

Peter did not do well at CK. The winery tanked and they sold off the Charles Krug winery.

To me, it is very interesting since I have had the same type of falling out with my own family. I have not seen or spoke to them in almost 7 years.

johnT.

The old wine maker from Krug is now in aviation and works with me. wealth of information but he doesn't seem to want to talk about it much. too bad.

Where to Buy?

Now you got me! Had not heard or seen that one before. Where do you find it locally? Sounds like an awesome wine for a get together!

I found a review for it on The Reverse Wine Snob. Where they claim to snub their nose at any wine over $20...... Cool site and they liked it as well!

I am going to have to speak my mind on decent but cheap wine. Brace yourselves, for I am going to mention the "B" wine. Yep, Jack Tone dry red "B"ox wine is about as good as box wine can get, IMO.

It is heavily Zinfandel based, really fruity, and has a nice aroma. We drink a lot of it, rather than break into my own wines, which I don't drink on an every-night basis. (I save my wines for the weekends and special occasions.)

Really, it's as good as most $12 to $16 per bottle Zins.

The old wine maker from Krug is now in aviation and works with me. wealth of information but he doesn't seem to want to talk about it much. too bad.

He is the old winemaker from Mondavi AND a pilot. This sound like a guy I would like to meet. Like in the comercial... "The most interesting man in the world"!

bought a bottle of Lucky Duck Reisling from Walmart yesterday. Not bad at all for $3.97. Gonna try the chardonnay.

He is the old winemaker from Mondavi AND a pilot. This sound like a guy I would like to meet. Like in the comercial... "The most interesting man in the world"!

Once you turn into a pilot THAT'S all you want to talk about. We're a messed up breed ;)

The thing about TJ's is that is you find a wine you really like you better go back and buy a case immediately.

I know people that buy a bottle, and try it in the parking lot before they leave. If they like it, they run right back in and buy more. That's how fast it moves around here...

You guys in Cali get much more (and usually better) options than the rest of the US when it comes to TJ's.

The TJ's in Napa had a phenomenal selection of wine plus better prices than the winery to boot. Costco still rules as far as price but way less selection except for some stores (like the one in SLO, fantastic selection!)

Once you turn into a pilot THAT'S all you want to talk about. We're a messed up breed ;)

I had my license (third class), but had to give it up when I got married. I used to take my motercycle to the airport, now I take my wagon to work. Not a fair and even trade if you ask me.

There is no wine to be had for these prices in Pennsylvania as the state exclusively retains the right to sell wine and spirits.
-Jay

PP-SEL/IA
I have found that retirement, along with a significantly lower income level than when I was working, has dampened my enthusiasm for that Saturday morning $250-$300 hamburger. (When I got my license a Saturday morning hamburger was about $50 - wet.) I still look up, and search the sky, every time I hear an airplane, however.

On the bright side, I now have more time for winemaking and, especially, wine drinking.

PP-SEL/IA
I have found that retirement, along with a significantly lower income level than when I was working, has dampened my enthusiasm for that Saturday morning $250-$300 hamburger. (When I got my license a Saturday morning hamburger was about $50 - wet.) I still look up, and search the sky, every time I hear an airplane, however.

On the bright side, I now have more time for winemaking and, especially, wine drinking.

I learned to fly at a part 61 school..FBI funnest part of my training was the $50 breakfasts. J
funny how when you end up doing it for a living its harder to justify flying to some little airport for breakfast.

Frances copula's Rosa is a good bargin at $8

I picked up a Kanga Reserve Cab last night at the local Jewel for $4.99. It wasn't bad. Not as dry, or as good, as the Charles Shaw (2buck Chuck) Cabernet at Trader Joe's, but a nice enough wine for the price. I'll take this opportunity to say this, I think the $3.00 Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon stands tall next to a $15.00 Kendall Jackson, IMO.

Back